Reviews for Harry Potter: The Forgotten Brother
mckertis chapter 15 . 7/13
Ugh...everything was going well, and then all the lesbo shit had to come up.
bellalib chapter 20 . 7/11
And I'm sure you done a vast amount of research into this.
Leaf Ranger chapter 29 . 7/9
Well this was an...interesting fanfic. It wasn't bad, but overall...after Hogsmeade it honestly just lost some of it's appeal. Not sure why.

So overall, not bad but...not really one I'm going to fave and stuff.
Leaf Ranger chapter 19 . 7/9
Well...I've been enjoying this fanfic until this point, but it's not enough to stop me. Going to keep reading, since I doubt the United States will play any role in your fanfic.

However, for the sake of defending my country, I'd like to offer some counters as to why magical Europe tends to be dragged through the mud and why it's unlikely the US would be like you described. I could be wrong, but just wanting to offer some thoughts, is all.

First of all, the United States started off highly intolerant of magic during it's earliest years as the colonies, and continued that way for quite some time. That makes it highly unlikely that the type of purebloods who would condone such actions as you described would travel to the colonies, as they ran a far higher risk of exposure to muggle society due to the extreme religious fervor and paranoia of the colonists living in North America. What's more, they run a higher risk of exposure to the authorities searching for them, if they're exposed as a witch or wizard in the colonies and attempted to be burned at the stake or drowned in a river.

As time progress's and the whole 'witch hunts' die down and the colonies progress, we see an influx of people coming over to the colonies. By this point, maybe the pure bloods would come over, but likely, they would be too settled and comfortable in their own countries to want to. The United States wouldn't really offer anything they'd want because of the witch hunts that, while being ineffectual, still put a huge damper on living within the United States. Therefore, the most likely magical population living in North America would either be native shamans or the less fortunate magical people of Europe, who thought perhaps they'd get a new start in the Americas because they were out of better options in Europe during the time (yes, that would happen to muggles and magics alike). By the time purebloods start coming over, there would be an actual magical community and rudimentary magical government in place, if not a branch of the established European Magical governments to regulate the magical community within the colonies.

Now in the case of the latter, the American Revolution does offer these purebloods a chance to seize power, as they could do away with the established branches of the European magical governments. But if the magical community already had it's own magical government, then that wouldn't be the case. They'd have to lead a coup attempt in that instance.

Either way though, the nature of what North America and the United States becomes makes it incredibly unlikely such purebloods could remain in power, simply because the eclectic nature of the United States would mean an influx of magical wielders from different cultures, beliefs, and ethnicities would flood the United States. The purebloods would simply be overwhelmed by the sheer number of muggleborns and half bloods who would not just emigrate to the United States, but would also be born within the United States. And more then likely, those sheer numbers would ultimately rise up against a set caste that was oppressing and enslaving a number of them, especially if they were living in a country where muggles were treated better then they were.

I think the thing also is that ultimately, the reason a lot of people go after the European magical community is because to a degree, it does seem like the European magical community has stagnated. That being said, a lot of people should really wonder if any of the other magical communities are any different. They all might have various levels of stagnation. But the European is the one people focus on because that is the magical community we've had the most amount of contact with, and thus can understand and/or blame the most for stagnation and idiocy.

I think the real problem here was you went too far or too dark, in some people's opinions, with the United States magical community. *shrugs* That and your author note comments do sound more like 'this is revenge for Europe getting blaste din other people's fanfics' rather then 'this is an actual and honest opinion'. Had you not made that author note, I probably would have simply thought of it as your opinion or plot device and moved on.

Well, back to reading. Might have to finish this tomorrow though.
amsev chapter 30 . 7/8
Great story! I don't think you were lacking in character development as some of the developed characters' deaths saddened me.
WordSmyth chapter 5 . 7/8
Sorry, the story was pretty good, but I can't stomach DeathEater!Hermione at all.
Harpy81 chapter 30 . 7/5
Bravo bravo
krissd6 chapter 24 . 7/5
I am loving this story. Innovative and exciting. On the American issue a major theme of the original and most fan writing is the backward nature of wizard society. Indeed it could be said that stuck in the 19th century is often the best offered. Now think of American society in the 19th century where slavery was legal for more than half that century. Indeed even in the North it was illegal to assist escaped slaves. Even Lincoln was elected on a platform of retaining slavery in the Southern states. In this context the description on American wizard society makes more sense than the traditional American ahistorical versions presented by teenage writers with no understanding of their own history.
fluffytuffy chapter 30 . 7/2
Loved it. It's my second read through and it didn't loose any of it's appeal. What you did with Arnold was pure guines.
nice ass story
again this story is awesome
this story is awesome is see nothing wrong with lily make a artificial intelligent son its magic anything is possible
why would people leave the story this is awesome so far
kanazak chapter 19 . 6/15
Amused note: Americans don't spell exercise with a z, though we do use a z in realize, rather than an s.

Beyond that, good point in your author note.

As an American, I also note that while things like slavery are illegal here, the effects of slavery still remain. Non-whites are still, by and large, stuck in poverty unless they're truly exceptional, and even then they may not get noticed and remain stuck in poverty. The police use racial stereotypes and profiling to determine whether a random loiterer is innocent or suspect, and if suspect they'll occasionally use far too much force. Statistically, people of all skin colors and religions are just as likely of being good and bad as any other skin color or religion, and thus the fact that there are more blacks in prison than whites is rather... unsettling... when whites are the largest group.

Many people in America are working tirelessly to make it as good as most Americans would like to believe, but it's nowhere near becoming a land of true equality.

But no country is perfect. The USA has made some incredible strides on the march of progress, but has a very long way to go still.
r2k-in-the-vortex chapter 16 . 6/8
Hmmzz... interesting. It kind of went from funny mystery to war novel half way through. Frankly I liked the first half better, much better. Because almost everything was viewed from third perspective all characters turned out horribly flat, not a problem for the first half, because the focus was on the mystery, but it really didn't work well in the second half of the story.
Not sure what the fuss is about how the americas were portrayed, should brits be offended because they get saddled with utterly incompetent governments and magical Hitlers in every story?
1,859 | Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »