Reviews for Complicated
NinjaSheik chapter 1 . 6/12/2011
LOVED IT!
manekinekotan chapter 1 . 6/9/2011
I think you've touched on a key element that, for me anyway, makes the Mai-Hime series interesting. It's not the whole 13 magical girls with magical weapons and the ability to summon magical mecha-animal to do battle for them.

It's because they are, all 13 of them, human. They have flaws and regrets. Insecurities. Fears. Hopes. Dreams. Aspirations, both good and bad. Because, like all humans, they are complicated. And, being human, they sometimes make complicated situations MORE complicated by over-thinking things. (Or in the case of Yukariko and Alyssa, by blindly accepting what they are told by other people, but that's also a common human tendency.)

And that is exactly what happens here. Natsuki is over-analyzing every move she makes with Shizuru. She's not sure how to respond to Shizuru's feelings. Heck, she doesn't even know for sure what her OWN feelings towards Shizuru are at the moment. And yet, confused as she is, the moment the older girl needs her, Natsuki is there.

The insights into Shizuru's and Mikoto's characters were also nicely touched on here, a nice way to show that probably all the girls still have demons to deal with.

Kudos for another fine piece.
Crosswood chapter 1 . 6/9/2011
Aha! For what it's worth, yes, this idea has been done a few times - also for what it's worth, it was refreshing to see it done so *well*. It's kinda sweet, and slow, and gentle feeling. Nothing forced or unnatural. Gold.

The way you describe the physical things as caused by, and as an effect of, the emotional things is rather winning. Sometimes I kinda wish that there was more blending between the two things; instead of a block of 'thinking' text/a block of 'doing' text, more a meld of them both, dribbling into each other. But then, Natuski is very introspective in this wee thing, and it is well handled to boot; the serious lightness of it suits her well. Once again your characterisations are handled with aplomb.

Sincere regards.
kurakami chapter 1 . 6/7/2011
I've always loved when Natsuki would visit Shizuru in her office and sit on her desk. This is a great place for them to deal with the fallout from the Festival. Great story!
Yuri-hime chapter 1 . 6/7/2011
I really loved the small insight you gave into Mikoto's psyche. Not very many focus on this adorable lil cat-girl, and she has always been one of my absolute fave charrys from the series 3

Also loved the ending. So sweet and poignant. You always write some of the best fics. Loved this one like all the others. Thanks for sharing 3
mgcbs chapter 1 . 6/7/2011
Thank you for writing another wonderfully written piece...

The whole Shiznat dynamic following the Carnival is always an intriguing one to visit once in a while - the anime did the poorest job of it (it wasn't until about four years after watching the anime that I realised that the graduation ceremony was at least 6 months after the end of the Carnival, yet Mikoto's wound is still bandaged, the buildings still waiting for Suzushiro to rebuild them and the Hime and Keys are all too happy).

I liked your takes on it (in both TEH and this fic) because they explore it in a different way to the way I have made them deal with matters in my own fics - since, for the sake of plot, I kept it relatively simple (Shizuru cannot handle matters and distances herself and Natsuki feels betrayed/at a loss). I have been writing my fics for about 4 or 5 years now, it's still not finished and still not published :S, but I constantly end up revisiting the moment Shiznat moved from devastated/confused to "happiness visiting them both" - wondering which is the mot correct in terms of their personalities etc.

Yet, that is the beauty of Shiznat - a typical love story on the surface but in it is an atypical exploration of what it is to be human under all the facades and to be a human who loves too much or one that was starved of the chance to be loved. That is why I cannot stop reading/writing fanfics of them after all these years - because of the depth and because of the number of angles that their relationship can be viewed from.

Anyway, thanks for writing and sorry for the lengthy discourse - your fanfic reaffirmed my love for Shiznat and my inner child hopes that fanfics and love for Shiznat will continue on for many more years! (Partly so that I may have some readers left when I finally release my own fanfics into the Shiznat fanfic universe... XD)
ShizNat14 chapter 1 . 6/7/2011
hmm nice one shot..
H3artbreak3r chapter 1 . 6/6/2011
i really like this story and how you portray natsuki and shizuru and i love the fact that natsuki is mature like i thought she was in the show here.
Krystal of Nol chapter 1 . 6/6/2011
Well hello there! I really like this story and how you put Natsuki's thoughts, I don't know why but people tend to portray her as a person who cannot do the deep thinking or perhaps that's my impression... but after everything she went through I believe she's indeed someone who has that kind of thoughts but now I'm rambling, sorry...

Indeed that's how Shizuru is: 'getting through things she wasn't interested in with an absolute minimum of effort.' that's our lovely kaichou!

A great oneshot! Thanks for sharing it with us!

Take care.

K.o.N
Honulicious chapter 1 . 6/6/2011
This was good. Still left with that unsolved question about their relationship but baby steps . he he
justme chapter 1 . 6/6/2011
Heeee, that's really wonderful! Loved it, thank you for sharing )
MaiBad chapter 1 . 6/6/2011
Such a wonderful little gem! I thoroughly enjoyed this ficlet. The pacing made sense (to me at any rate) and explored Natsuki's feelings without going overboard on the angst. Going the total opposite direction would have been equally odd to me. [OMG! I'm totally in love with Shizuru after all! Activate uber-instant LUST powers! RAWR!]

Pragmatic Natsuki was always my favorite Natsuki. :)
Icy-Windbreeze chapter 1 . 6/6/2011
I liked the setting and the pace of this. It has a nice feeling to it and I liked the thought train
JBebe chapter 1 . 6/6/2011
Very much enjoyed your take for the Carnival aftermath. (In fact, please consider more on this line!) Liked the view into Natsuki's thoughts and how much she's grown from her previous isolated self. Great insights. (I must say I do agree with your take on Shizuru's style of presidency!) And I like Natsuki's determination and resolve to keep what's precious to her close despite complicated feelings.
xn3ct chapter 1 . 6/6/2011
Beautifully done! You are of course right, this story - or this part of it - has already been told (as is the logical next step for every "canonical" continuation of Mai Hime), but it's very interesting to see your take on it. Natsuki is amazingly compassionate in your version, not as angsty and less unsure as she is usually portrayed, even though she is still very ambiguous about her own feelings. I wonder if you would be interested in writing a couple of more chapters continuing this story.