Reviews for The New Skin
excessivelyperky chapter 28 . 5/17/2014
Ah, so he's a parasite beacon; how handy for everyone else! But the Oi respect his ability to survive, and if they knew how much of it he had to survive alone, they might understand his touchiness a bit more.

But that was a ghastly nightmare, and not made better by seeing those red eyes in the waking world just after. The really scary part is that it could easily have become true (write that AU, please).

The villagers have a long and interesting history; and I think Snape will get more help here than he thinks right now.

Plus, he can show them some of his own sung magic if necessary.
excessivelyperky chapter 27 . 5/17/2014
Snape can't believe Uli doesn't dump him; he's not used to being treated like a human being.

And *I* would be wary if Snape was watching me in the lab!

So, they're to find the wizard-er, Tepora. Severus plays with the idea of giving up, because he is a bit tired of this horribly long chase, but in reality, he'd put up a fight anyway.

As for things trying to kill him, he's pretty used to that by now. Besides, it's not Australia where the trees are also poisonous and try to kill you (along with everything else).
excessivelyperky chapter 26 . 4/20/2014
Now they know it's Avery, and that someone thinks, or thought, that a new prey could be substituted for the current one (one guess who gets to be it, if Snape can manage it!).

Oh, lord, I hope that isn't Colin Creevy's corpse, or Draco, for that matter.

Ok, the piranha won't work. I still say it couldn't hurt to try the Universal Solvent or the superglue. Even if the superglue takes on the New Evil Purpose, it's still going to move pretty dang slow.

And now Snape has friends who plan to actually help him, which is new!
excessivelyperky chapter 25 . 4/20/2014
Very good tracking! At last he's found the origin of the skin man.

Now, to find the maker. Here's hoping something at the creation site leaves at least half a clue for Snape about that.
excessivelyperky chapter 24 . 4/18/2014
Ack. Thppth. Just when he was making such progress, both with the new trigger process, and, with putting together an actual life.

Back into battle again, sigh...
excessivelyperky chapter 23 . 4/18/2014
This whole chapter is just...pretty. No, it's better than that, it's *elegant*. For serious powers of *elegant*.

Of course the secretaries have all the power (my husband brings in Twizzlers for the ones at his school at least once month. Just guess who gets his special favors done first, and it's not the principal).

All hail the capture of the Noble Distiller!
excessivelyperky chapter 22 . 4/18/2014
Actually, some muggles enjoy flying dreams so much, they join the Air Force and learn how to do a barrel roll in a T-38. Just sayin'.

Boy, that saga of the water distiller sounds familiar...you work in a lab, don't you?
excessivelyperky chapter 21 . 4/18/2014
Snape is very surprised by Uli-she just tells him what she wants and how to resolve the noisy nightmare problem. This is very different from Lily not finding anything he did right, Dumbledore's Mythic Hints, trying to read Voldemort's mind without getting caught, or hoping Bella didn't notice him.

In fact, he's a walking case of PTSD, and I think some of the people around him are beginning to realize it.

And yet, he is changing-though he notices it, and is desperately worried about it. Anything this easy has to be a trap!
excessivelyperky chapter 20 . 4/18/2014
Poor Snape-he thought he was unique, only to find that apparently all potions masters (and probably mistresses) are flaming, anal, lunatics. But then, he's the one who is more comfortable doing threat analysis in a jungle than napping on deck or drinking beer. Hmm.

'Dental floss'-slang for a thong?

And Uli *finally* made her meaning clear ('let's make things *really* clear to the cute foreigner'').

But Snape was actually having fun out there!
excessivelyperky chapter 19 . 4/18/2014
Dick is good at watching over Snape; at last someone cares if he's all right!

But you know, Grossman is right about one thing-throw the prep at Park, find out what Mata *is* good at and make him do all of it (and then flog him if he even jokes about dry-labbing, Dick would be the first one to help him with that).
excessivelyperky chapter 18 . 4/15/2014
Love the comment about the bones. But I don't blame him for going nuclear over the jokes about tossing stuff into cauldrons-he's *been* there.

And he will need to keep an eye on Grossman-I think Grossman thought he was going to run the lab due to superior language skills. Mmmm...not so much. Park is scary, though-I can see Snape giving him all the hard parts.

Nice bit with the beer (gah, warm beer, aiee...ok, Guinness *maybe*.).
excessivelyperky chapter 17 . 4/15/2014
I love the negotiating. Hint: never try a fast one with someone who has survived both Moldywarts and the Great Bumblebee, it will not end well.

And of course the Orders of Merlin for Slimy Slytherins were given out in a separate ceremony; it was probably a sacrifice for Kingsley to give them at all, sad to say. This doesn't mean that it's really safe for Snape to come back, as a new Minister could always arise with a less charitable attitude (or trying to cover up his or her own allegiance to the Dark Lord).

So far I've seen three things here that might provide ammo against that skin monster-the universal solvent, the Uttermost Super Glue, and the Really Scary Weird Piranha.
excessivelyperky chapter 16 . 4/15/2014
I love all this backstory. And frankly, I think Dumbledore wanted the partial prophecy to be passed on to Voldemort-otherwise, why hold interviews at the Hogshead, and why wasn't Snape Oblivitated? (just like I have to wonder about the Potters being staked out as bait, without the Cloak that Albus 'borrowed' and failed to return).

And yes, Severus really needs to create now, not just exist.

Sadly, there was a lot of truth in what Voldemort said-but he sadly underestimated the Muggle government, I believe; magic would end up as a tool of a Muggle government department (as in the Laundry novels by Charles Stross-if you haven't read them yet, start with The Atrocity Archives). And with every excess by the Ministry, Voldemort's people would feel more justified in their atrocities. But you can tell as time progresses that old Tom is playing with too many Horcruxes, if you get my drift.
excessivelyperky chapter 15 . 4/15/2014
That collection of letters is...both wonderful and terribly sad. For one thing, Dick must be desperate for a mind that can keep track with him. And for the sad, Snape and his quest for the perfect Felix Felicis; that shows that he knows, just knows, that none of his own effects will ever make his life better.

And I would believe the Ministry when they told me I could just disappear. I bet more than just Regulus disappeared, too, and with no trace.

After all, Snape already knew what Dumbledore could do to him if he talked about a certain werewolf. He had no illusions what the 'Light' side was capable of.
excessivelyperky chapter 14 . 4/13/2014
Go, Pods! I know the school song, too-"Cthulu loves the little children/all the little children of the world/be they baked or stewed or fried/they are delicious in His sight/Cthulu loves the little children of the world" (not original with me, think it's in the NESFA Hymnal).

Ahem. Good chapter about him settling in. He's just discovered that all places are just Hogwarts with different people and problems...
276 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 4 5 12 .. Last Next »