Reviews for The Problem with Sign Names
msjohnwatson chapter 2 . 3/8
in love w SAB!
Guest chapter 2 . 12/8/2016
The ASL naming thing might be one of the ways some people come up with sign-names, but it seems like it could quickly become cumbersome and awkward. What if several people came from the same place, or similarly named places? There's more than one "Middletown" in the USA, for example, and probably several in the same State as each other.
Many of the sign-names I've been shown are a sort of hybrid of the two sorts you mentioned? An initial and a descriptor- the point is to identify someone without having to go through spelling out their entire name every time so something in just a couple short signs is better than a whole long thing. For example, for me, unless I got given a different nickname from someone, I'd use a sign for a "cat" or "kitten" (of some sort, I'm sure there's more than I know) possibly with a "K" first, because that's literally my name and the most common descriptor used for me (that wouldn't be inconveniently long).
Guest chapter 1 . 12/8/2016
Sign is always rather tricky to handle with writing- it's a very visual thing, which is the point, and really is it's own language. XP It's easier to just "translate" the meaning bar a few simpler ones most of the time, so kudos to you for trying so hard to describe things! It really helps it feel like John's POV, given that he admits he only learned a little bit and even that's rusty.
(Love Sherlock's Dogs' Name, btw.)
Should be an interesting adventure!
Daneru chapter 6 . 11/19/2016
This is a great start to a story. I'm sorry that it wasn't completed.
Guest chapter 4 . 8/31/2016
AMAZING STORY
Fizz the Great chapter 6 . 6/29/2016
what happened to chapter 7?
Lisa Smithers chapter 6 . 5/29/2016
I can't wait to read the next chapter! I love the plot idea, and you've written it very well.
Renegade Storm chapter 2 . 2/16/2016
I'm not 100% certain about the ASL name thing. That what I remember being told a while ago. Also that only deaf people can give you your name.

Yes you get your name from people apart of the deaf culture. You can not pick your own. As for asl name signs they can be creative . Mine is the sign for m with book. Easy to figure out why.
MuggleCreator chapter 6 . 1/20/2016
I really like this idea. :)
Anon chapter 6 . 1/4/2016
Very nicely done!
QuirkCirc chapter 6 . 7/26/2015
I love this fic. Really well done and you know your stuff which is awesome. ;D
jael33 chapter 6 . 7/21/2015
I was so excited to find this fic, and then to find it's been abandoned makes me very sad.
jael33 chapter 1 . 7/21/2015
Being American Deaf myself I'm very happy to find a deaflock fic!
Sam chapter 2 . 7/3/2015
Hi. I'm really enjoying this. In regards to ASL names, you are right that they use your initials and have to be given to you by a Deaf person, but I've never heard of the rule about location or met anyone whose name sign referenced a location. Sometimes they reference gender. In ASL signs on the head from the nose up are masculine and nose down are feminine, so my sign name is an S next to my mouth. But that's not a rule.
Crystia chapter 6 . 5/31/2015
This is so interesting! You seem to really know what you're talking about with the BSL (although I must admit, I am absolutely not an expert, so I wouldn't know) and it's cool to read about it.

Thanks for posting! If you ever wanted to continue this, I'd definitely be interested. :)