Reviews for Cakes, Lies and Exploding Birds
TheSecondaryAftermath chapter 1 . 1/31
I loved this so much. It was cute, funny, angsty, sweet and realistic all at the same time. I especially love your main concept, of GLaDOS emotionally abusing Chell without even realising it, and I also love her reaction when she did. I love the "keep her happy! 4 SCIENCE" thought, it made me laugh. I love Rick's pervertedness (no I don't but I love that you wrote it in) and GLaDOS' cup-throwing thing was on point. I love her possessiveness of Chell, and her denial of loving her. I love that she has little fans that buzz to show her emotions, how cute! I love her considerate behaviour, I love the "let's make cake, cake will make anyone happy." I love the image of GLaDOS stirring cake batter in a mixing bowl to make her human cheer up. I love her cluelessness about Chell's upset but the way it genuinely worries her and makes her upset that she cant fix it. I love the confessions, I love the potato salad thing, that was adorable, god. I loved everything!
guico chapter 1 . 10/22/2015
Wow. This was very cute. When you said emotional abuse I was expecting to be punched in the gut from all the feelings and stuff. And I kinda was? Anyway, it's nice that GLaDOS recognizes that she has a problem and is looking to fix it. And I really like this homey relationship thing that they have. In other fanfics it usually always is TEST TEST BLOOD BLOOD SUFFERING sex SUFFERING. So this was great.
Kudos!
Dragonjek chapter 1 . 6/6/2015
Oh god, this was adorable. GLaDOS thinking of Chell as an equal at all is... odd, but I very much enjoyed reading it. It took me a bit, but I'm proud to say I figured that it was the five-day-thing before the characters said it outright (I don't normally pick this stuff up).
Thunder Beagle chapter 1 . 8/7/2014
Aw, how sweet. As far as GLaDOS goes, I think the hardest thing to buy isn't that she could act like that, but that we don't see how she transitions to this from her previous behavior. Since this is just a one shot I'm not overly worked up about it. All in all I quite liked this. Thanks.
Miffle chapter 1 . 8/14/2012
Oh wow, this story is amazing! First and foremost, I absolutely love your characterisation of GLaDOS and I agree with you that she'd be pretty likely to carry her abusiveness from her Aperture days into her life with Chell. It's great to read a story that really takes this into account and that understands that Chell can't just magically ignore all the mean stuff GLaDOS says because "that's just the way she is". Chell's human so of course she's going to suffer in an abusive relationship! In general, your story's really well written, with good flow and a nice sprinkling of adorable, making it an overall great read :D
Emmalyn chapter 1 . 1/29/2012
This was adorable. I liked that the emotion you attributed to GLaDOS was, while more human than her Aperture form, quite realistic for the situation. She wanted to fit in with humans, so she made an effort to experience things like a human, which makes perfect sense. :) And I love her inner turmoil, too-something she might have felt while at Aperture, but discounted or ignored. But now that she actually cares about someone else, well...it was adorable how much she wanted to please Chell, and I liked that Chell was understandable and relatable with regard to all her reactions, too. Thanks for posting this, and I look forward to reading more from you! :D
The Notorious C.O.W chapter 1 . 1/2/2012
I love this story more every time I read it and that count somewhere in the double digits now.

That is HOW MUCH I LOVE IT. And I, being a finicky reader, have to really like a story to finish it. GLaDOS's mannerisms are adorable and funny! And pretty in-character given the circumstances.
SisterDear chapter 1 . 8/30/2011
This is lovely. It has wonderful depth and texture for a simple slice of life type story. You made the world come to life around the characters, and the characters are still themselves, finding their way through this new relationship. They're different, but believably so.
Passerby-A chapter 1 . 8/20/2011
Aww, this is so cute and somewhat fluffy, despite the mention of abuse. But why does Chell speak at the end if you portrayed her as mute for most of the story? If she can speak, why doesn't she? I don't suppose it has something to do with the emotional abuse? Is she sick? It seems unlikely that GLaDOS's confession was what cured her, because that's a little too quick.

It's always fun to see GLaDOS trying to come to terms with her emerging humanity. She likes to think of herself as superior, but her pride makes her more human than she thinks.

Anyway, good job with this one shot, it's an enjoyable read, so thank you :) Cheers!
litlime chapter 1 . 8/11/2011
Aww, that was cute :D

Did you have a specific reason in mind as to why Chell is mute when writing this? Just wondering (considering Chell can laugh) if it was due to the emotional abuse?

Anyway, this was really very nice, well done!
12345 chapter 1 . 7/29/2011
Cute and adorable. I loved it!
Krillov chapter 1 . 7/2/2011
I thought this story was wonderful, I would love to see anything else written in this universe. The lighthearted bits were really funny, and the more serious parts interesting as well. This has been one of my favorite outside of aperture stories from portal. Please write more!
MissLethe chapter 1 . 6/23/2011
My fans are buzzing from cuteness overload. You wrote them perfectly, thank you for this lovely fic!
Guest chapter 1 . 6/11/2011
BUT WHAT ABOUT CHELL'S ROBOT CANCER!
ippa chapter 1 . 6/10/2011