Reviews for The Next Step
MrsBigTuna chapter 3 . 9/9/2013
I can't remember when I've laughed so much over something I've read on this site. I stumbled over this story, over ten years after it was written, and it's still completely relevant and thoughtful and hysterical.

I've been an avid reader since 2004, and haven't really been on the site in over a year until a few weeks ago, when the writing suddenly struck again. Regardless, this was a lovely surprise, and I look forward to reading the rest of your efforts.

Seriously, I hope you got a writing gig somewhere, this is aces!

MBT
Harley McCoy chapter 3 . 5/21/2010
Again, another fantastic story. I liked the special attention to Quinns growth. I haven't found many stories that highlight Quinn post series and her exploits as a non-fashion club member. Great job.
Sleepy Lotus chapter 2 . 1/25/2008
beautifully written! once again, the dialogue was spot on. brilliant, you are.
Saranha de Angelo chapter 3 . 6/29/2003
Great fic! The dialogue is well written, funny, and strongly resembles what they actually use in the show, and I loved the different plot lines. Good job!
Firence chapter 3 . 10/9/2002
Cool story, great ambiance btwn the characters. I can really see Tom doing all that creepy stalking.
HecatonchiresLM chapter 3 . 9/18/2002
Great work. Waiting eagerly for 'Comitted' - hoping its not another 'Girl, Interrupted' takeoff _
B chapter 2 . 5/9/2002
Very enjoyable. I like the loose ends. Poor Tom though.
Roger E. Moore chapter 2 . 5/1/2002
This is superb, true to the characters and the situations in the show, much funnier than angst-ridden, and nicely put. An excellent follow-up to the series. Also, it's a lot better than any of my Daria fanfic, damn it.
Kathleen chapter 1 . 4/19/2002
I just have to say that this is one of the funniest fanfiction episodes on Daria I have ever read! It was really well written and I was able to imagine the whole thing as if it had been a real episode! Amazing!
wyvern chapter 1 . 4/11/2002
Okay, *finally* got a chance to read the rest of it...overall, really liked how things turned out and look forward to seeing the next installment(s) of your planned series.

Not to be negative, but there *is* one thing I'm kindof of two minds about, and that's Quinn's behavior in the confrontation with Tom, which I guess derives mainly from the fact that her character *was* pretty unevenly written the last couple of seasons. On the one hand, I can see the Quinn who held-forth to Lindy and her friend in IICY? about guys' dating tactics or who told Daria how compatible she and Tom were in IIFY? handling Tom like that, but would the Quinn who reacted to acutally being stalked herself (in "Fire!") by expressing horror at almost having "gone out with...*a computer geek!*", or of "One J At a Time" have displayed that kind of insight? I don't know, it still works though, and in any case, "the two Quinns" is of course hardly *your* doing...

Like I said, looking forward to seeing where you go with this, keep up the good work.
Justin Smith1 chapter 1 . 4/10/2002
An excellent story. Well written, works multiple plot lines well, and tries hard to maintain a high level of wit.

I can see where the other reviews had a lower regard for the Daria/Tom plotline than the others, but I believe it works well. True, it casts Tom in bad light, but it does not depict him as 'evil,' just misguided. We were never shown enough of Tom on the show to really "get to know him," so it is not much of a stretch for me to believe the events of this story.

Keep 'em up, Mike.

Overall: 4 of 4 stars
medea42 chapter 2 . 4/9/2002
well written, believable, and wholly amusing.
wyvern chapter 1 . 4/8/2002
Liked the fic, and the way you've ended all three main threads of the story on cliffhangers (though I admit I might find myself liking that fact a bit less if you don't write parts 2 through whatever:).

Actually liked the (ex-?) Fashion Club subplot best, at least in this first part, though to be fair the thread that seems to be the main thrust of your overall tale was just getting started by the end. Young Thomas's intentions towards OH'd better be honorable!;)

It'll be interesting to see how the interpersonal dynamics of the (former) FC'll be effected if Quinn goes through with what she was considering when last we saw her - I'm thinking especially of Sandi's likely reaction, and that providing fuel for Stacy...

And *will* Janey *ever* get into BFAC!;)

Looking forward to future installments of this one, Mike. Keep up the good work.
Nullset chapter 1 . 4/8/2002
Very nice. The characters were well developed and in character.

I was hoping for a "Tom's not really up to anything, Daria's just paranoid" outcome, but I think this was very well done. It avoids the Tom's Right Daria's Wrong writing that plagued later episodes.

Tom, in my mind, is supposed to be _Daria_'s everyman. He's rich, yeah, but he's normal. Someone outside of the Freaks & Geeks, Jocks & Preps catagories. He's as failable as you and me. He makes mistakes, but his best attribute is acknowledging them (even if somewhat grudgingly) and moving on. Misguided Tom is much nicer than Evil Tom or Psycho Tom.

Missed seeing as much of Daria, but that added strength to how deeply affected she was. Also a foreshadowing of a Darialess Lawndale.

Quinn/Jane interaction was wonderful. I like where this is going, and look forward to Elsie's future choices as well.

All in all, this reads like an unproduced episode, and a good one at that.
theazara chapter 3 . 4/8/2002
Kick ass tale. :) I really can't wait to see where this is gonna go. It was all good but your Jane scenes and your ex-fashion club scenes are just a smidge better than the rest of the story, and your Jane/Quinn scenes are pure gold. I always did like the scenes where they play off each other in the show, and you've captured and exceded it.