Reviews for Light the Stars
whatdotheydream chapter 3 . 11/2/2013
I am in LOVE with this story! This b eautiful and poetic, and the whole life-dream thing REALLY interests me, because I've done that before! so yeah. I hope you update ASAP! It's ok, I'm really slow w/ updates too.
she-was-a-rose chapter 3 . 2/9/2013
Reading this story was like looking at a still pond with bursts of color swirling in the depths, and every few minutes a different colored bubble would swell to the surface and burst, telling a story related to all the others, yet different as the colors of the rainbow.
she-was-a-rose chapter 2 . 2/9/2013
What's going to haappennn
she-was-a-rose chapter 1 . 2/9/2013
Wow this is exciting! I think this is the most original fairy tale beginning I've ever read.

Why is the kingdom falling apart? Was the walking girl a princess once? Is Gideon a prince?
Music of silence chapter 3 . 10/1/2012
I really enjoyed it very much. This version of the little mermaid reminds me of the story of Russalka and I like it very much. I like the concept of the boy living lifes until he gets the message the star is trying to send him, it's very original. I'm eager to see the next chapter!
daring2dream chapter 3 . 8/7/2012
So I couldn't remember any of this story and went and reread all the chapters. I think I'm more intrigued now than before! Clearly we're still learning background and getting snippets of who is who, but I think I have more questions than any answers currently. I like you're style of writing a lot though and how you're incorporating stories into the nighttime dreams. I can't wait to read more! I know this isn't a super amazing review, but keep up with your style and the way you're progressing because it should definitely have people hooked now. :)
ElvishKiwis Venerated Ancestor chapter 3 . 8/5/2012
I enjoyed your other chapters a lot Faylinn, but this one is my favourite so far. What vividly poetic description in the dream contrasted with the prose of the rest of the chapter.
I love the way Gideon is able to understand the princess without her saying a word:

"The tears upon the mermaid's face that she wiped at with a surprised hand, wondering at the ocean leaking from the corners of her eyes were enough to tell him the sea witch must be stopped, one way or another. But the cracking ocean floor, the torn seaweed ripped up by their roots, the fish flung far and wide, the tumbling turrets of a sea shell castle were enough to shake his heart."

If we ever needed proof that this was a dream then that fact alone is it! Where in real life would we find a man who is able to understand non-verbal communication like that! *rolls eyes cynically*
But dreams are often like that. We know stuff without having to be told and there is often the same thwarted quest scenario which seems to be common to all Gideon's dreams. Kind of like watching your own life unfold and yourself make 'choices' which you actually have no control over.

I love this line:
"But a feeling filled his heart of quiet hope and unbroken trust, and if she could have spoken words, they would have been these: You are not only a man. You are a hero."
That resonated in my heart. I want to be the kind of woman who can communicate that to the men I love (ie husband, son, brothers etc. I don't want you to think I have a whole sting of lovers!).

What a blood thirsty ...implement (?)... creature (?) the knife is. I find myself thinking of all these biblical analogies of blood sacrifice and how it can cover our sin but never fully remove it. Only the sacrifice of an innocent life, freely given, can atone for the guilt of another. There is a sense in which the Prince did this for the mermaid, and yet by doing so, his heart became enslaved to sin. Then she did it for him. Who knows if she was able to fulfil her own quest or not. According the the origianal "Little Mermaid" she would only be able to if she were to find many more good children than bad ones...
One has to smile at the obvious moralising of these old tales.

So the star and it's girl are united at last! I am wondering if this is when Gideon's dream starts to become reality. Perhaps the answer to his question to the star is that he has had a year of training in heroism and now he is ready for the real thing.
He has learned much from these stories and yet, he doesn't understand how it has changed him.
Please, allow me to do a bit of of speculation here based on the clues you have given along the way:
Gideon has always been an idealist; a dreamer.
He has been dissatisfied with the drab injustice of the life he has led and wanted to make a difference.
He is discerning about the problems, but never saw himself as able to fix them until the star came along.
Those latent dreams of heroism became all consuming drives under the nocturnal influence of the star.
Every night he strives for the rescue of the princess, and yet never quite achieves it to his satisfaction.
But the star has awakened in him a hunger for the happy ending; the perfect solution that would last.
It has humbled him.
It has shown him the possible cost.
It has warned him that he may lose his heart (there is more than one way to do that!).
And now, it has introduced him to a real life heroine.

The only question I still have is: How does Lydia fit into this whole scenario?

Well done Fay! This story is getting REALLY interesting!
(in other words Please don't leave us too long before another chapter!)
ElvishKiwis Venerated Ancestor chapter 2 . 7/25/2012
Hey I somehow missed these updates!
What an interesting second chapter. I wonder how Lydia came to get a compass identical to Charlotte's and why they seem to have this strange kind of link. I thought for a while that they might be reflecting each other once the fairies appeared... or even a bit before, but that cant be true because they talk at different times and sometimes do different things. I love the way they seem to accept each other and Lydia seems to care about Charlotte a lot even thought they barely know each other.
Poor Gideon, I can see why he is feeling like packing it all in. The lack of sound sleep for one must be exhausting. It is just as well he has Thomas in his life to support him and give him some ideas.
Sorry I am not really giving this my full attention right now due to frequent interruptions, but hopefully I will do better on the next chapter.
FireflyCity chapter 3 . 6/19/2012
Beautiful story so far. I absolutely love the detail and the overall plot, and you write it so beautifully... Please update soon! :)
45692-358923-09 chapter 3 . 5/31/2012
Haha, I felt like I'd forgotten everything about this story and had to go back and reread the first two chapters. But I didn't mind at all, because they are just as good the second time. I'm so glad you're still writing this, and I apologize for my late review.

I think my favorite thing so far is how your writing has a dreamy quality to it. Things aren't over-explained or over-described. Everything's really loose and flowy and anything can happen at any moment. And that's a perfect style for a story that revolves so much around dreams and wishes.

I doubt I'm explaining myself well, but the gist of it is: mega props to you.

I'm glad Charlotte found her star. I can't wait to see what she does with it, and if Gideon will be ready to let it go.

Update soon, and I'll try not be such a late reviewer!

Captain
Hiron Otsuki chapter 3 . 5/28/2012
Fantastic Little Mermaid story.
Clar the Pirate chapter 3 . 5/23/2012
Oh my goodness, no wonder you didn't want to write any more. That dream was so absolutely perfect. But I'm so glad you did because now Charlotte has her star and everyone has met everyone else and HURRAH!

I'm going to write something more properly once I've stopped jet-setting about the country. So lovely!
sparkling unicorn chapter 3 . 5/23/2012
Are you done with this story? I hope not! It's such an amazing story! If you havent finished, i hope you update soon!
Delia Anole chapter 2 . 7/28/2011
Wow. This chapter was just as interesting. You've managed to spin such an interesting mystery of a tale, it's hard to not long for more.

I was so scared Gideon would get rid of the star... and then Charlotte would have to keep searching! It would surely be horrible. I kept thinking, "Come on you stupid fairies, get the girls to the star!" Not that I even know if that's where the girls are being taken, but wouldn't that be cool?

Your writing style is incredibly mysterious, intensifying curiousity but also making everything a bit confusing.

And why was Lydia so willing to leave behind her horse? Yes, they had that connection... But, being an animal lover, I find it so hard to believe!

I'm so excited for the next dream. I'm thinking that nothing will change, but Gideon won't be able to give up the star, but I'm also curious towards his next dream. Heck, I'd love this story even if it was just all about his dreams.

And so, with incredibly curiosity and a craving for more, do I wait.

But not patiently. So hurry.
InChrist-Billios chapter 2 . 7/22/2011
I just can't get over your style. I love this:

"Later it dried in the breeze that ruffled her hair, made her dress flutter about her body like it was made of – butterflies."

The dash before 'butterflies' just makes it. Gives it that extra hesitation, like she's unused to dealing with words and imagery in her current state, although abstract words and imagery are the best way to describe her in said state. A nice way of bringing them together. Ah! I'm geeking out.

"White horse, pale hair, bright." - Perfect. Another example of what I just said. It makes my heart so happy.

Oh, Lydia is a lovely name. Which reminds me, I meant to say in my last review that I LOVE THE NAME GIDEON. I just got in a fight with one of my friends yesterday over the name. She says it sounds like someone from the back hills, fixing a trailer and chewing tobacco. I was outraged, and I defended it as a strong, noble, gallant name. Since then, I realized that 1) Captain's new story has a Gideon who is strong and wise and brave, and 2) Your new story has a Gideon who is gallant and strong and determined. My opinion is confirmed; my friend is wrong. Gideon is awesome. But anyway, off my soapbox and on with the review:

Fairy-flying bonding moment! Awesome. I'm glad they are walking together. I wonder who Lydia is looking for, though... and where she got the compass like Charlotte's. (This also makes me wonder who Lorn is - the fellow who gave Charlotte hers, and is presumably dead via rockslide.) So much wondering in this story.

Dear Gideon: Never say "Just one more _ won't hurt anything." Fill in the blank with whatever you like. One more drink, one more piece of cake, one more night playing the hero and losing the woman you've grown to love - whatever your fancy is at the moment. If you hear yourself saying this, IT'S A TRAP. That's my advice for you. Also, I'd love to have you over for tea at some point. There's a nice young man I'd like you to meet. He also struggles with dreams. ;-)

This has been a very long review. Hopefully it was at least slightly encouraging/helpful/not useless. I really am loving this story to pieces already. Please please update soon!