Reviews for Highwing: A Sparra's Tale
birds with capes...hahahaha
potato314 chapter 2 . 3/18/2014
I really like it!
ifeelmad chapter 7 . 11/29/2012
:( awww Highwing! Why'd you just conveniently kill off Sister Marisol so Vanessa could succeed her? Vanessas such a Mary Sue in this story! :(
You're still my favorite Redwall writer though :)
ifeelmad chapter 3 . 11/29/2012
Awww so cute!
Species Unknown chapter 15 . 7/3/2012
Goooooood.
Nocte Furorem chapter 15 . 6/23/2011
Nice conclusion to your excellent story.
Samadhir chapter 15 . 6/22/2011
As with the ending of TCB, this is a very sweet and lighthearted piece that simply tells us where the characters are now and what they’re doing.

I presume that this takes place about a year after Highwing defeated Grym, seeing as it was already high summer by that time. Wing has established himself firmly as the leader of the Sparra; not bad for a guy who’s a little over a year and a half. Vanessa has been made Abbess; that went fast! And we still don’t know where Aurelia came into the picture to replace her as Infirmary Keeper; I’d have liked to see some short explanation for that.

It appears even you wanted to lampshade the constant feasts they’ve been having in the story. Four feasts just this season; I don’t know how they handle it! And it’s to celebrate Monty being made Skipper no less; this can only mean that it takes place a short time before Urthblood’s arrival. Having put one adventure behind them, the Redwallers are soon in for another one, greater than they could’ve ever expected.

This has been a very nice series, Highwing. It fleshes out some of the main characters excellently, it’s filled with sweet and funny moments, and the way it ties in with TCB, like with the sandal, is awesome. Like the others here have said, I can’t wait for The Shrew War!
Samadhir chapter 14 . 6/22/2011
Good thing that Highwing was on hand (Paw? Wing?) to sort out any misunderstandings before things came to blows, not that the Sparra were in any condition to attack the squirrels anyway. And with their former leader’s death, the remaining sparrows immediately side with his match. Ding dong, Grym is dead!

The whole thing with not deigning someone to deserve being buried on the Redwall grounds... despite how horrible Grym was (he was indeed worse than Wolfrum, as Sporky observed) these kind of judgements have always felt a little uncomfortable to me. We’ll be seeing several more examples of such “they don’t deserve a proper burial” attitude in the coming Urthblood stories, unfortunately. At least the Redwallers did deign him some kind of burial, which was indeed more than he would ever have shown to them.

And Highwing is made King of the Sparra. From helpless chick to leader of Redwall’s featherbottoms in about six months; that’s quite an accomplishment. And what better way to celebrate it with than a… FEAST! How many feast have they’ve held thus far in this story? I think this is the fourth one. Well, it IS a very good time for such an occasion though.

I understand how frustrated Elmmarsh (any relation to Elmwood) must be at not being able to admire the view from Warbeak Loft. Just another example of why they should build those damn stairs, already!
Killy-S chapter 15 . 6/22/2011
That was a short 85 chapters sir Wing.

Nice way to end the story. Redwall is back to being beautiful and peaceful, and having feasts for every possible reason. But, at Redwall does one really need a reason to throw a party? I think they should have feasts to honour the previous feast.

Great fic.
Sgt. Sporky chapter 15 . 6/22/2011
Abso-bally-lutely loved the little ditty at the end. Hehehe, I can't believe it's already over. *looks forward with eagerness to TSW*

Love the idea of sending the eggchicks to Geoff's classes. It'd certainly make a change for the Sparrafolk. A change for the better, I do believe.
Samadhir chapter 13 . 6/22/2011
Those squirrels must either be very fast climbers, or they think Highwing is a very skilled negotiator if they think they can make it in time to make a difference. I can respect their devotion to their friend however.

And for the first time in H; AST we get a proper fight scene (the light jousting from when they tried to kill the chick or attack Vanessa doesn’t really count). You do an excellent job with it, as you always do. I really like how he tosses his cloak over Grym’s face and then brandishes a quarterstaff in his talon (though I still find it difficult to take such an image seriously).

Though I have to say that Grym is hardly a very complex or interesting villain. We don’t really get to see him until the very end and then just briefly. His personality doesn’t go beyond “stupid power-hungry sonuva bitch”, and his sudden rant about how and why he killed Wing’s parents is hardly surprising.

The reason we don’t get to know him much now is of course because we already know what sparrow tumbled out of the loft at the end. Let’s hope the squirrel’s wizen up before they mistakenly harm any innocent Sparra.
Samadhir chapter 12 . 6/22/2011
After all the slow-moving, slice-of-life chapters we’ve seen previously, suddenly things go very fast! I have to say that the robin flying down to tell the Redwallers about the Sparra being sick was perhaps a little TOO obvious as an exposition device. I think it might have been better if the sparrows had simply tossed down some of their dead comrades from Warbeak Loft, as Arlyn described happened in his youth.

Highwing really shouldn’t have flown away like that without consulting the abbey leaders. It’s been half a year since he was there last time (not a very long time for us, but the sparrow has apparently grown from an illiterate chick into a full-grown member of the order in that period), and he knows nothing of how it looks, where to flee in case things go badly, and he might even attract the fever from them.

It’s hardly surprising that Grym is so unwilling to hear out his old enemy’s very reasonable plea. Just once I’d like to see a villain who’s actually willing to LISTEN to the hero’s suggestions and consider them before vowing to slay him.

And the fight to the death has begun, eh? We know who’ll win of course, but this should be interesting nonetheless…
Samadhir chapter 11 . 6/22/2011
As someone who prefers cold, rainy days, I would definitely have welcomed the stormy weather to break up the heat wave. Though maybe not if I knew it would introduce the Greenwood Fever to Redwall. Apparently it affects the Sparra worse than other creatures; very nice way to set up their coming confrontation…

(As you’ve probably noticed, my reviews are getting shorter. I really don’t have much to say here. I hope that’s okay.)
Samadhir chapter 10 . 6/21/2011
Killy’s right: cover yourself up, Vanessa! And having that conversation about how different creatures would look nude… it’s just not befitting for a proper mousemaid, wot!

Damn, did I really say “wot”? Must be loosing my mind…

But Highwing gets a fine habit out of the whole bargain. I love how humble he is, not wanting to look anymore regal or privileged than the rest of the Redwallers. But when you’re flying you don’t want a heavy bathrobe trailing after you. This is a way to be both practical and fashionable at the same time.

And I like his “to hell with tradition” attitude when it comes to choosing colours. I’d want a blue abbey robe, I think.
57 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »