Reviews for Malkin Academy: The Cup of Kings
xxPastelSTARxx chapter 24 . 1/28
Just finished reading this earlier today; it was a great ride and fun read :)

In the beginning I was a little confused because I didn't realize that some chapters took place in the past. I thought that the mystery was a little too straight forward, but after reflecting on the story, I actually like it better that way. I'm so used to big plot twists and turns that it was actually refreshing to have a mystery that I could follow along.

Your storytelling technique is fantastic. The flow was very natural and all the clues to the mystery were well placed. I love the fact that you had two main characters, one to be the audience surrogate and the other to really flesh out the world and plot. I like that all the secondary characters were so diverse, especially the teachers. My favorite one was the potions teacher.

I guess my only major (not really) disappointment was that the Faes in the prequel weren't in this story. I'm guessing you published this one first, so it really isn't that big of a deal. I would have love to see how you would expand the Fae magical world. Maybe it's in the next story? Well, I'm about to find out! :)

Thanks again for writing this series!
Liz Merryfeather chapter 21 . 1/11/2012
I can't way to come home for Thanksgiving

You mean: I can't wait to come home, right?

Just thought you would like to fix it when you get around to it

So far I like the story, its just not long enough! (which means it is very good and I wan't more...) Thanks for putting it out there to read it
ManyRainbows chapter 24 . 9/13/2011
WOW! This story was well written and VERY engaging! I started on it last night and read it every spare moment until I finished it just now. I would *love* to see more stories about Malkin Academy!
misscharms chapter 24 . 8/6/2011
I absolutely loved this story! I've developed a real preference for a American wizarding stories that follow the adventures of new, OC characters. You did a really good job of intelligently writing and crafting the story while still making it fun and capturing that magical feeling that the Potter books do.

It was also really refreshing to read something by someone who is clearly educated, especially in regards to history and English. My only critique would be(and I guess some reviewers already covered this), is that it was a bit confusing switching between the Henry/Leonora timeline and the Kate/Jessica timeline in the beginning.

But other than that, it was fantastic. I really hope you post a sequel. :)
Little Old Anonymous Me chapter 24 . 7/25/2011
I think that you should write a sequel as well! Your writing skills are exemplary! (I think that's the right adjective to use, but I might be x
Little Old Anonymous Me chapter 9 . 7/24/2011
You are an amazing writer/author! I wouldn't have been able to recognize these as something written by someone else if I were given the contents of this story to read alongside with the actualy HP series! :)
Little Old Anonymous Me chapter 8 . 7/24/2011
I'm confused. Are the chapters involving Henry Burroughs flashbacks of some sort?
DZAuthor AKA DZMom chapter 24 . 7/11/2011
Great story.
DZAuthor AKA DZMom chapter 19 . 7/6/2011
Two and two put together. Looks like we're getting somewhere. I haven't figured out if Poole / Lake is still missing. I'm hoping all will fall into place.
DZAuthor AKA DZMom chapter 18 . 7/5/2011
The copy machine did the trick. What a devoted parent you are!

The switch between Nora and Lenora threw me off. I loved the repeating consonants on witches, wizards, ghosts and goblins. Your memory with Kate as a drawing was spankin' awesome. Great story told here.

If I were Kate, I'd be seriously doubting my father by now. I like that you've created this uncertainty. In such a closeknit family, that thought could be gutwrenching for an adolescent.

If I may state my own preferences once again, if you wish to take this story from magnificent to supreme, you would do well to "paint" more rich images of your adult or flashback characters. It is vivid. Can you bring these characters alive on the page even more so? It might be tough with the line drawn medium of the memory. But even small details like perhaps stubble on Nott's chin or a glimpse of the Dark Mark can make a scene unforgettable.
DZAuthor AKA DZMom chapter 17 . 7/5/2011
Temptation for "Jessie" and a clue for Kate. I could not recall what Kate and her friends had said about Mr. Malleus that had Corntassel reprimanding her. I only recalled that she knew him to be an ex Auror. Perhaps you could give some dialogue restating the issue.
DZAuthor AKA DZMom chapter 16 . 7/5/2011
Well, now, wouldn't Marcus be in a tiff if he knew that his own House's ghost was giving such a respectable nickname to the enemy. I think we'll have a mystery solved soon. But proving it could be difficult.
Quaternary chapter 24 . 7/5/2011
This was great, dude. I'd definitely like to see a sequel, in fact I'd like to see anything from you, cuz you're my favorite fanfiction author! The story was concise and satisfying to read and your characters are likable and well-written, you should seriously keep up the long stories, you've got a knack for it.
DZAuthor AKA DZMom chapter 15 . 7/5/2011
The sense of mystery from chapter 1 is back. This story told from the gritty hardened point of view of the Auror would make a great companion piece. While I enjoy the Children's experience at their school, I'd much more enjoy the tale of the adults in this world.

A fanfiction that might interest you is an Alastair "Mad Eye" Moody / OC fic written as a short noir crime fic like the classics. Moody apprentices a young Auror. I don't recall the name, but I could look for it if you can't find it in the archives.
DZAuthor AKA DZMom chapter 14 . 7/5/2011
I wonder what Jessica really thinks now that she knows that Marcus is the object of derision. I can't tell if her dislike of Claudius making advances on Kate is due to her rivalry with Marcus or her jealousy for the attentions of Claudius.