Reviews for The Mysterion Mythos: Cthulhu Fhtagn
ShadowVulpi chapter 32 . 8/14
Well, I'm back after about 8 months since I left my small review on the first chapter, and I'm happy to say that I've finally finished your story after so long!

As a whole, this fic is interesting in many ways. I haven't read very many South Park fanfics before, but from what I've been able to scour throughout the web, I don't think I've seen any like this. Yours is much more drama and character focused, as opposed to comedy or satire. All of the chapters were focused on someone's perspective, or multiple someone's, and though there was a plot to go with the whole thing, I really felt the main strength of this story was how the characters interacted and developed throughout the whole thing.

Your portrayal of the drama that goes through this story is extremely realistic. For instance, the break-up scene between Wendy and Stan was very well thought out and legitimately looked like something that could happen in real life. The emotions, the words exchanged, and even the reasons for the break-up to even happen were so incredibly accurate to real life that I honestly wouldn't have been surprised if it was based on something that you went through.

The developments of the characters was also absolutely wonderful and a delight to see. It took a while with this story being so long, but by the time I got to the end of the story, I knew that the characters I had been following were not the same as they were at the very beginning. Whether it was Stan's acceptance of him being gay, Kyle's struggle with going off to college and dealing with his mother, Kenny's fight with his immortality, or Butters's saddening descent into darkness, all of it was so well done. Whenever I was reading from the characters' perspectives, I really felt I understood them better. Their actions and their thoughts were so clear to me and I could understand why they reacted and saw the world the way they did. My personal favorite development had to be Butters's whole arc, if only because I really do love to see how villains get created and eventually snap out of it and realize how much harm they've brought to everyone around them.

You are so talented at writing drama and describing the emotions that follow. That is truly what made this story what it is.

However, with that said, I did have issues with this story that made it so I couldn't quite enjoy the story as much as I wanted to. One issue was that this story got very wordy at times I didn't think it had to be. I know that the characters are supposed to be quite long-winded when they monologue, but sometimes it was in such excess amount that the only thing I could think was "get on with it and let me keep reading". Your battle scenes especially I felt took the full brunt of this problem. There was a lot of description in your fights, which got tiring to read after a while because action is usually snappy and quick. It shouldn't be drawn out like a conversation.

But my main issue I had with the story was that it didn't exactly feel like a South Park fanfic. While I did love the drama and emotions you portrayed in this story, I felt this story wasn't treating itself like it was in South Park. Everyone might have had names that were from South Park, and they might of had their personalities even, but it didn't actually give off a South Park. The ridiculousness that is commonly associated with the show was taken completely seriously in this story. The Super Hero arc was meant to take playful jabs at the comic book genre, and here, none of that affectionate teasing is present. It's totally realistic and seems more like something I'd see out of DC Comic's latest series than something out of South Park. I feel when you write a fanfiction, it should in some ways have the same tone as the source material. Maybe not completely, but a good amount of it. You did have some humor in your story of course (that whole scene with Kenny making shadow rabbits screwing each other to joke that he could still control shadows stands out), but it just lacked the vibe that South Park gives off. This story felt like it was just wearing the mask of the show rather than fully embracing it and its zany ways.

Because of that, I couldn't really enjoy the story as much as I wanted to. Once again, I really loved the characters and interactions they all had, but it lacked the South Park vibe. And due to that, I don't think I'm going to be putting this story on my favorite's list. I liked reading it and am glad that I read through it, but not enough that I would recommend it to everyone I know.

Even still, thank you for this story. I know you finished this story years ago, but I hope that it has allowed you a new perspective on the story and will perhaps help you in your future endeavors in writing.
Blade of light chapter 32 . 6/13
Holy Shit! I am not often one for profanitys, but I just barely know how else to react after reading all of that.

I have only just started watching south park after playing the stick of truth, and after I had finally marathoned all 19 current seasons, I figured I would have a look at some of the fanfictions that must of been written over the years. After reading ,this story though, I don't think I can really read any other South Park story, or at least enjoy it as much.

Everything about this story has been so amazing, it has been so long since I have even read something not only written so beautifully, but with such a great story that I felt so emotional at times.

Starting with the writing, it is some of the best I have seen in a while, I don't even remember the last book I read that was done so well. From the word choices, the perfect pacing, flawless switching between character perspectives and just general structure of the writing, it felt fun to read and not at all like a struggle to get through as most fanfics have felt like.

As for the story, it has been a long time since I was interested in reading or looking at anything not really fetish or NSFW related just because I was mostly over most normal stories, but this really did remind me of why I loved stories in the first place.

The characters feel so much like their show counter parts, or at least how they would of grown up, Kenny being so mature in growing up, wanting to take responsibillity for his life and not just end up like his parents, all the while still having that perverted nature to him that is lighthearted, never just leading someone on and always being there for his friends.

Stan and Kyle, as inseperable as always, I didn't fully know which way things were going to go for them in the start, but seeing their relationship start was just beautiful, from Wendy breaking up with Stan, to learning how he truly feels about the both of them, and finally confessing to Kyle, it was just one of those romantic plots that can easily make or break a story, but this one was given great attention and care, and never rushed. It was also really cute to see how they acted with each other after (Not really used to the idea of shipping characters, but I like how their relationship is potrayed in this)

Butters whole development may also just be my favorite, not only in this story but for any South Park story. Being both Marjorine and butters seems like the perfect progression of his character and who he would become one day, and I personally just want to see a story dedicated to his early days of being Marjorine. Chaos also fits nicely into his character and becomes a powerful plot, seeing this sweet and often innocent character, struggle so much to just figure himself out and really feeling for him as he relys on being Chaos more and more.

Besides the main 4, all the other characters seem on point and true to how they would be when growing up, each making for great characters that is fun to follow what is going on with them, and interesting to see how they interact with each other. Even Cartman, while normally not my fav to follow in the show, his own sub plot is done really well, and makes him kind of likeable without taking away what often makes him such an ass.

This story wouldn't of even needed its main plot, it could of just been a normal highschool story and I would of trusted this to be just as great a story.

But thats just the normal side of things, this is also a Mysterion story.

The Leagues back story, how they went from being just a bunch of 4th graders playing games to a full fledged superhero team by the end, and just the interactions as their alter ego's was just as fun and well developed.

Action is often a very hard thing to write, and its done well here, the awesome idea of Kyle and Stan's awesome combo, the kind of awkwardness of how Chaos leaves a building compared to Mysterion, being able to really get a sense of how they move or fight just from reading it.

The 2 big storylines to this side of the story, Kenny's fight against the cult, trying to rid himself of this curse, and Butters losing himself more and more to Chaos.

Watching Kenny never give up trying to solve the mysterys of his curse while juggling everything else in his life, it felt great to have something of a conclusion to the superhero triology and see Kenny actually have his great moments and time in the spot light, and not have it just stolen by Mint-Berry Crunch. Having Kenny just rip into him so much when he showed up felt great.

Butter's/Marjorine plot though may be the more sadder one to see unfold, slowly loosing themselfs to Chaos as things still just never go right for them, no matter how hard they try. Even from watching him in the show, he is just the nicest character and is so hard to how hard things really get for him, which made it better to see him come out... at least in a good area by the end of the story.

Overall just seeing the whole league develop was a nice read.

A nice moment to refer to is Karen's inclusion, starting reading the story from the start, I couldn't help but wonder why there was no mention of her given how close Kenny seems to her out of all his family in the show. I soon remembered that she wasn't introduced till a late season and most likely wasn't shown till after this story was several chapters in. That didn't stop her from being included near the end, cleverly written as to why she wasn't there from the start, as well as bringing her back for future useage.

If there are any bad things I can say about this story... I feel it would of been good to see more of Butters interaction with his family before he fully became Chaos, I mean it's easy to know how bad his parents are if you watched this show, but this story was written so well that I felt you could really read it without needing to see the show, how his family treated him seem to be the only thing not really able to be learnt just from reading this.

Besides that, it was an amazing story, would of happily paid to read it and still wouldn't mind putting money towards it, I almost want to work on a comic adaption to this whole story.

I think the only downside is that I don't quite know if I can read any other south park fanfic after this, or at least any that deal with the subjects this story touched upon, it really does feel like how the show should one day progress into. I also just learnt that the sequal to this story is on hiatus, and I am worried I will love it just as much, only to be left on a massive cliff hanger, so I want to read more, but I don't know if what is currently written for the sequal will be good to read knowing that it will just suddenly stop.
Cybrawler253 chapter 30 . 2/20
Oh. My. God. This story was so fucking amazing, I...I don't even know how to describe it. I've been scouring the entire site for a Kenny/Mysterion fanfic as incredible as this...and it looks like my search has come to an end. Thank you for this amazing experience.
ShadowVulpi chapter 1 . 1/3
Well this is a very interesting fanfiction. I heard about you on TV Tropes, so I figured I'd come along and see what you had to offer since I really did love the Cthulhu Trilogy and love to see what people think of it.

I have to say that I'm very impressed with your opening chapter and style. Admittedly I thought that this would take place during the present while the boys are still ten years old or so, but the teenage route is made believable thanks to you. I can easily see this being their future given their attitudes and everything still feels like South Park despite being a few years into the future. I'm even okay with how you present Butters. I never really pictured him as gender fluid, but with how you characterize him I find myself being willing to go along with your idea since it seems believable enough and well-done.

So far I'm liking this opening to this story. It gives enough detail for me to understand what's going on. Can't wait to read more. Maybe I won't be able to get to it right away since I'm a bit busy these days, but I'll get through this story eventually. The story you've crafted intrigues me and I want to see it to the end.
Lady Azura chapter 32 . 9/22/2015
Spent the last few days reading this. I loved every second of it. Fantastic job!
Zukuto chapter 32 . 7/19/2015
Brilliant story. Couldn't put it down.
Klimmatt chapter 32 . 7/19/2015
So, they say that 90% of fanfiction is pure crap. It might not be an entirely accurate figure, but it's also not entirely wrong. Skimming random fics, you'll find that the vast majority of them are poorly written, some to levels that are physically painful to read.

This is one of those rare fics that make it worth slogging through the crap.

'The Mysterion Mythos' is everything I could ask for because it's not just fanfiction. This is a story that moves beyond the world given to us in 'South Park', expanding and exploring these characters in ways that Matt and Trey likely never dreamed, while still staying true to the source material.

To be honest, I'm a little lost as to what else to say. 'This is a good fic' just doesn't cover it, so I'll just say this: Thank you. Thank you for a fantastic story. Thank you for writing it and thank you even more for sharing it.
Cartman chapter 26 . 7/1/2015
Fuckin' Mintberry Fuckin' Crunch!
KennyXPinkParka chapter 21 . 6/26/2015
*squees at love confession*
Kenny x Lizzy chapter 19 . 6/25/2015
STAN KISSED KYLE! (Literally thrashing around on my bed, squealing and fangirling.)

This is the best slash fic I've ever read! BONUS POINTS: IT HAS A PLOT!
Kenny x Lizzy chapter 14 . 6/24/2015
FUCK YOU GUYS FOR THE FEELS!
Kenny x Lizzy chapter 13 . 6/24/2015
GOD FUCKING DAMMIT, YOU FUCKING ASSHOLES!
Kenny x Lizzy chapter 12 . 6/24/2015
Godammit, Stan. You poor thing.
Poppy the Rabbit chapter 2 . 6/22/2015
Fucking knew it was Wendy. At first I thought it was an OC, then I remembered that you seem to stick close to canon, so that would mean it would have to be a canon character. And what's the first of-age girl South Park character that comes to mind? Wendy fucking Testaburger. And this fic makes her look like a badass.
Cyanide Cipher chapter 1 . 3/4/2015