Reviews for The Night of the General
Abracadebra chapter 1 . 9/4/2023
This review comes to you from the 2023 Summer Reviewathon!

This was rollicking fun. The idea to have Newkirk accompany Hogan on a trip to London is a good one, and it's actually surprising it hasn't been done more.

I always enjoy the way you write action scenes - clear and straightforward and yet packed with the push and pull of a fight! Newkirk is such a scamp in this story, and his past life certainly has a way of catching up with him. I think he deserves that drink at the officers' club.
mrspencil chapter 1 . 4/25/2021
An excellent tale, with some neat touches of humour...Carter’s involvement with the codes, Newkirk’s dismay regarding one guest, and dubious past misadventures threatening to catch up with him. Well done:-)
SaraiEsq chapter 1 . 9/16/2014
heheehehe
konarciq chapter 1 . 2/14/2012
Oh, this was very well written. The suspense was tangible - for a long, long time, I really had no idea where this was leading!

The actual action of the shooting seemed a bit too stretched out, but not to the point that it got boring. No - the suspense building for so long really is the best feature of this story. Well done!

Loved it especially when Newkirk came running into that office, and Hogan's reaction LOL
Snooky chapter 1 . 1/13/2012
Very enjoyable and a great entry in the contest. Nice to include newkirk on a trip to england. The first part with the codes was very funny and loved the action near the end.
Kirarakim chapter 1 . 6/27/2011
This was great...when I was watching the show I always wondered why Lebeau always got to go to missions in France but Newkirk never got to go to England so I am glad your story gave him a chance.

And I was laughing at the situation Newkirk got himself in with the General and how he kept digging himself into a deeper hole. I could totally see this! LOL But I especially enjoyed how Newkirk was able to show his true worth to the General in the end. I hope he won't forget that.
buggleston chapter 1 . 6/20/2011
Excellent story-enjoyed how you used Newkirk pass to catch-up with him but on a very important mission that was a great idea. Now Hogan had to figure out how to save Newkirk without further risking this mission. Wonderful story!
inhonoredglory chapter 1 . 6/20/2011
Wow, really amusing! At first, I didn't know what was happening - with Newkirk's being a general and all. The codebook talk at the beginning was really funny! "Duck is duck" - soooo Carter. I'm glad they got to use it in the end.

LOL to Newkirk hiding behind Hogan. "N-no, I'm not me... I mean, I ain't him" LOL! What a coward! But, really, who could blame him? What a humorous image, though.

And the shootout scene was very movie-like. I could just see the bullets whizzing! Great little story. Good job!
Canadian Hogan's Fan chapter 1 . 6/20/2011
Haha, great story. I liked how you worked some of Newkirk's colourful history into this. That visual of a cowering Newkirk is priceless. I particularly like the line. "There are more stars here than in a ruddy constellation." Classic Newkirk.

Good job!
96 Hubbles chapter 1 . 6/19/2011
Fantastic! I think this was the most "HH"-type story in terms of humour and its action-filled plot. A very fun read indeed!
Crystal Rose of Pollux chapter 1 . 6/18/2011
And this was another awesome entry in the contest. I love how you write Newkirk.

And LOL, Newkirk's dilemma with the general in this fic is... both surprising and not surprising at the same time. He'd be the one to get himself into hot water like that!

You work the suspense angle of this excellently, as well. The climax was awesome.
Bits And Pieces chapter 1 . 6/18/2011
Excellent story! Suspenseful, yet with a lot of great, well-placed humor. I could so see Newkirk ending up in a predicament like that! I could also picture the shootout very clearly, and the end conversation was so perfectly Hogan and Newkirk! Great job! I really enjoyed this story!
Sgt. Moffitt chapter 1 . 6/18/2011
It's a funny visual, Newkirk cowering behind Hogan, trying to avoid Fitzweaver's wrath. But he was so heroic, leaping to protect the General! And Hogan's use of the opposites code to mislead the Eagle was genius.

And I never realized a shootout could be suspenseful and funny at the same time!
emeraldarrows chapter 1 . 6/18/2011
Excellent.:)
Linorea chapter 1 . 6/18/2011
I was waiting for another story of yours for so long, I am so happy :) Newkirk is really funny, I wonder what is the story with Lancaster. And the water in the alcool made me laugh, this is so Newkirk !

And Hogan's reactions too. He has a good self control and he need it with a corporal like this lol.