Reviews for The Only True Allegiance
Tigger and Roo chapter 1 . 5/2
Bravo! Truly a soul-searching tale of the human nature of all men… no matter their origin.
The repeating phrase throughout sent me through a metamorphic thought process that was most ingenious in it’s subtlety! Again- well done!
Really, really awesome! I enjoyed both programs in my youth, and love the way you've braided them together, with serious reflection and subject matter. A wonderful tribute to Hogan, Dietrich, and the rest of the Stalag 13 crew- thanks for sharing this gem .
I'm off to read the sequel!
tallsunshine12 chapter 1 . 12/10/2020
Oh, he's going to be shipped out! Finally, he (big secret who) found the right path. Really believable crossover!
Brosmom chapter 1 . 12/4/2016
There's nothing I can add to past reviews, but I'll add my voice to theirs. Love this story.
ADDAMSFAMILYTREE chapter 1 . 9/11/2016
Dietrich oughta give consideration to American citizenship after the war ends.
Tiny1217 chapter 1 . 3/21/2015
A great story showing various viewpoints. Finally a Hogan's Heroes crossover that uses a program I'm familiar with. (But then you're the one who introduced me to Rat Patrol in the first place, after I read your profile!) Your follow-up story, "The Stalag 13 Raid," never made sense before. I intend to read that one again tomorrow. ;)
4Scoreandmore chapter 1 . 8/30/2012
Thanks again for such a wonderful story. Hauptmann Hans Dietrich is rapidly become a favored character. This story is SO well done and keeps with the essential values of each character...especially...what we hoped that Hauptmann Dietrich would evolve into being, a man for all humanity!

Thank you for your wonderful contribution
FloatingPizza chapter 1 . 3/21/2012
There isn't much I can say that hasn't been said- all the characters were captured brilliantly in the snapshots, Dietrich was in top form, an excellent crossover most couldn't have handled well, your writing style- this is going in the favorites, for sure! LOVED it!
spookysister7 chapter 1 . 2/23/2012
aw, sad but good. hope hogan helped him. :)
Susan M. M chapter 1 . 1/19/2012
This isn't the first story I've read where a wounded Dietrich turned his coat, considering his loyalty to Germany best served by renouncing his loyalty to Hitler. But it's a darned good story. It seemed very in character for Hans Dietrich.
Kirarakim chapter 1 . 6/28/2011
This was absolutely wonderful! I loved how Dietrich slowly began to see the good Hogan and the others were doing for not only their country, but for Germany too and the rest of the world. All of Dietrich's talks with Lebeau, Carter, Kinch, Newkirk were just perfect.

I really liked where you ended it too. Of course I wanted to see the conversation Dietrich had with Hogan when he told him the truth but in this case I think it is better left to the imagination. It gave me a good feeling of wanting more. What a great character Dietrich was too!
sparra-music chapter 1 . 6/27/2011
Aach! This story needs a sequel! I want to see Hogan's reaction to Dietrich's news, and find out whether Hogan arranges his escape or uses him in the operation, and if so, how? Does he use him to feed false info to the Germans? Does he use him for missions when they need someone who can speak German? Does he ask him to be part of the underground network, but leave the camp and work for him somehwere else?

On a sidenote, I have to tell you how nice it is to find someone who not only writes intriguing stories but also takes the time to proofread and edit them. It makes a huge difference and I just wanted to thank you for taking the time to do that, since it seems to be a forgotten courtesy most of the time in fanfic. Keep up the excellent work!
Goldleaf83 chapter 1 . 6/26/2011
I've never seen Rat Patrol (my loss, it sounds like from this story). No doubt knowing that series would enrich the story still further, but it stands on its own beautifully: Dietrich is a well delineated character, especially in how he becomes more and more torn in his loyalties. You give the spy in the camp scenario great plausibility in how you set up his entrance into camp and his gradual integration into Hogan's unit. The repeated line, "You do what you can for your country," works superbly: it accrues greater depth and meaning each time it occurs and marks the slow shift in Dietrich's mind. I love the ending: it works wonderfully as the climax of Dietrich's conversion. It does raise all kinds of questions for what Hogan is to do with him ... though I'm sure he will find ways to use him to their own advantage. Nice snapshots of the different team members: you've caught their characters well within these short portraits.
Six of Twelve chapter 1 . 6/25/2011
What a powerful story! I had a feeling from the beginning that it would en as it did. Would like to see a sequel to hear just what he told Hogan and what happened to him afterward. Did he tell Canaris that they had the wrong man, did Hogan get him out of Germany or something else?
KitKat132 chapter 1 . 6/22/2011
I was SO happy to see an HH/RP crossover, & from the reviews, it sounds like it may get some HH fans to watch RP who aren't already familiar with it, & that is a really good thing. As you know, the captain is my favorite character in RP, & so glad to see in this story that he's the honorable man I've always thought him to be. I think we see the captain pretty much the same way, except just one thing. I have always believed that D would eventually fight with every breath of his being against the evil that had overtaken his beloved Germany. But, I would have thought he'd had to have been in Germany (or anywhere in German occupied Europe)longer, after he'd gotten back from the North African Campaign (AKA "Gentleman's War"). The war in Europe was so different than the war in NA. And coming home would be, I think, a rude awakening for him. No matter where he would be stationed in Europe, he would start to see just how evil the Nazis really were, & understand that the best thing for his country would be to go against them, but I don't think that's a conclusion he would necessarily have come to in, or so soon after, NA. Now had he been wounded after serving in Europe for a while, & been approached by Canaris then, I don't doubt for a moment that he would end up NOT turning our heroes in. But, just a small difference of opinion there! I still loved the story, & especially loved the conversation between D & Carter. Carter was always my favorite hero as a child, & then as an adult too, but as I grew older, I always wondered how someone who seemed at times almost child like & innocent could so joyfully blow up people all the time. So, I loved that this conversation resolved that dilemma a bit for me. I think it's one of the first times I've seen that issue addressed. But, here's to hoping you'll write more RP, but especially RP/HH crossovers! (would love to see how D deals with Klink!) Jen C