Reviews for Under The Surface
Visage chapter 1 . 3/17/2017
This had me in tears! What a devastating spin on this episode. Beautifuly written. Thank you for sharing!
leebeenz chapter 1 . 9/27/2016
I just realised that although I have read this story many times, I haven't commented. I really love this story. It is just heartbreaking, but so well written. Poor Carter! I can never watch that episode the same way (which is a good thing - I love having extra backstory for the characters, and this one seems very authentic.)
SaraiEsq chapter 1 . 9/14/2014
Well done. Kudos!
konarciq chapter 1 . 6/29/2011
Dark, traumatic - and very insightful. Well done.
Goldleaf83 chapter 1 . 6/28/2011
Amazing story: it matches the episode perfectly in its depiction of the team, who I always thought were pretty unsympathetic given what Carter had to do in going down that well, and in your creation of a moving and believable backstory. The episode always stood out to me in the way that Carter finally really tells the others off, and deservedly so: your story of the horrific childhood experience it brings up gives psychological plausibility to why he really snaps at them. You make that climactic point perfectly: "He doesn't know. I never told him. I never told anyone here, he argued with himself. But he was stung and hurt just the same." Hogan would have chosen differently had he known, but of course he doesn't know. The memories in the story are beautifully and sensitively written, particularly the poignant scene of Carter's conversation with his sister and the revelation of the end of the trauma. You also do a nice job in setting that up with the brief mention of the longterm effects on the family members. Overall, this is a gem of a story.
Six of Twelve chapter 1 . 6/22/2011
Poor Carter. And how brave of him to face his fear and do it anyway. If only the others had known just how brave he was.
buggleston chapter 1 . 6/20/2011
Poor Carter allways the brunt of the jokes he takes in stride when there is an important task to be to go Story.
Fear-Of-The-Cold chapter 1 . 6/20/2011
Wow! Loved this story, the way you described Carter's father and the conversation with his sister was perfect. Heart-wrenching, but beautiful!
Canadian Hogan's Fan chapter 1 . 6/20/2011
That's the most gut wretching story I've read for the competition yet. I could really feel Carter's fear and the pain he must have felt in the accident. And not another soul in camp knowing about it makes it all the more harrowing. The poor man.

A wonderful job, Hubbles. Bravo!
snooky chapter 1 . 6/20/2011
That was so sad. But it is certainly one way to describe Carter's behavior in this episode.
inhonoredglory chapter 1 . 6/19/2011
Wow, what a serious, sad piece. Such a great expansion on the episode, and what a story you’ve made! Poor Carter and his father. That’s so sad that they had to leave Ben. And what an awful moment for the guys to drop Carter down the second time! Perfectly disturbing for his flashback. Carter’s memories were so nicely flowing, though, and I could clearly see the picture you painted about the ice cutting horizontally on the truck’s window. That really stood out to me. I really love your writing style and how you used the words for their effect. I wish Carter could have told them; I think they’d have understood.
Bits And Pieces chapter 1 . 6/19/2011
Wow, that was absolutely heart-wrenching. And it was told with such description and depth of knowledge. Growing up in Wisconsin, I know how cold water can get. Poor Carter, it definitely explains his reluctance to go down that well. A loss like that would haunt anyone. Excellent story; I don't think I'll ever watch that scene the same way again.
Jennaya chapter 1 . 6/18/2011
Very poignant story that had me in tears. Nicely done.
ColHogan chapter 1 . 6/18/2011
Loved Carter's reluctance to having to do the job to begin with, and how he felt about things when it was over. I could hear Carter's voice in my head as I read this. Great one shot.
Sgt. Moffitt chapter 1 . 6/18/2011
Wow. By providing this background, you've explained Carter's uncharacteristic reaction to the others after he was pulled from the well, as well as his reluctance to do the job in the first place.

And I'll never be able to watch that episode again without seeing Carter as a figure of tragedy instead of ridicule.