Reviews for Brutal Harry
muumi2three chapter 13 . 5/18
I like this story very much, partly for the writing and plot and partly for Reasons. What you said about the non-effects on Harry of the canon abuse versus the expectable effects of abuse on a child is something that I strongly believe. How on earth did Harry walk out of that closet a normal child? An online search with the parameters "boy 11 coal bunker" leads to the 2012 story of real life adults who locked up a real life child of Harry's age in a tiny room every night (bigger than Harry's closet!) and denied him access to food. The story was considered horrendous enough to be published around the world, and the child was described as "traumatised"... by the mother's lawyer: "Undoubtedly the boy has been traumatised and psychologically affected. No-one will be able to quantify the degree of that effect on him until older years to see how he turns out." JK Rowling meant the cupboard and food deprivation to be funny, my friends tell me, but child abuse just isn't funny to me. /rant
And the Love? Yes I believe in that too, and it makes your story inspiring. Thank you.
Lunastorm13 chapter 8 . 5/17
I love this story but to be perfectly frank I love George Granger significantly more! Seriously he is a fantastic character that I would love to meet! I have literally laughed out loud multiple times while reading his scenes, much to the confusion of my family.
So in summation great job!
JEn chapter 13 . 5/9
Thanks!
UpAllNightToGetBucky22 chapter 13 . 5/6
Well...that was an intense few hours of reading.
I'm a Veteran with PTSD. The way Harry thinks is the way I think. I'm the extremely skilled killer with severe difficulties with emotions. I love my dog and my best friend and that's it, though I wish I could love more. I've always thought that the way Rowling portrayed Harry as zero fallout from his childhood was ridiculous, even though I enjoy the books.

Thanks for writing this. It may be ridiculous but it's good to know that others can recognize what living in fear cam do to you eventually
Iryelb chapter 13 . 5/5
I like this story quite a lot but I think you've been ragging on JK a bit much. First of all, Harry had a shitty childhood but it was no where near the levels you described, yeah his cousin was a bully and tried to beat him up when he could catch him and Harry had more than his fair share of chores and a tiny room but he wasn't constantly beaten starved and worked like a slave. Second, I feel I should mention that Harry backed talked the Dursley's and actually fought back against his cousin as seen in book 1. Also, Harry was a social recluse and did go out of his way to do what other people wanted, for instance Harry only had two friends, he talked with other people sometimes but not much and he probably wouldn't have even been friends with them apart from extenuating circumstances, and this new world he's dragged into expects him to be this gallant hero and thrusts him into the spotlight. I should also mention that Harry doesn't really care about adult authority and frequently attempts to handle the problem himself. I will give credit to the fact that the adults in Harry Potter are all fucking retarded but Harry himself is a fairly believable person, and apart from the retardation of wizards as a whole, everyone else is believable as well. I did like this story but I'm not totally sure I'll read the sequel, we'll see, however I will go through your stories and see if any of them are as interesting as this one proved to be and I'll have you on my author alerts in case you write something new.
SilentSnowLeopardNinja chapter 13 . 4/27
Felt rather realistic to me though his case was extreme. And you bring up a lit of very good points about the HP series and even harry himself. I personally love harry potter the character because of all the endless potential he has to be developed differently or even better or in a more interesting way. Personally, if you don't put into consideration that he may have been spelled and drugged during Hogwarts years, I think he fits into the category you said of him being eager to please to avoid punishment with random bursts of needing to help ppl who are being bullied infront of him like in your fic. If you think about it he was trained to obey and be submissive and accept harsh words and mean attitudes while still doing as expected for the 'freak'. He essentially finds out that there are plenty more freaks and while thrust out into an unknown area he hopes for acceptance and understanding but ultimately attempts to get it by listening or agreeing to what he's being told by the first couple of ppl who are supposed to be somewhat like him and are willing to talk to him without spitting at him. You may have noticed that he seems to have no real reactions to anything other anger/sadness /irritation other than the few times he felt genuine happiness over another human or managing to gain acceptance from peers while still on a adrenaline rush. The majority of his actions are a result of wanting to please his friends, primarily the first one, and the general expectations he would have picked up on of ppl expecting him to be a savior despite not thinking much about himself. He has been micromanaged to such a routine degree of abuse that pain is familiar so he does not react much to the various types of injuries he's given nor does he complain or report it due to likely past muggle experiences and having determined how useless the teachers are at this school as well. Without the constant threat of the Dursleys and practically being encouraged to do stupid shit, being gifted an invisibility cloak and told to use it "wisely", not being listened to, not being informed what all these things that could kill him are even though they are there because of him in some way or another, sent to save a wanted criminal & a wild creature & fight off a werewolf & soulsucking demons with just one friend his own age, made to compete unwillingly in a death competition and so on and so forth and he barely blinks. Sure he gets irritated from time to time cuz like at the Dursleys he's being made to clean up someone else's shit and the grunt work with no thanks or compensation but he does it with no to little question and gets it down as quickly as he can in order to please the others. I think he's emotionally distant for the most part and acting as somewhat normal boy to better fit in though he doesn't understand it but still wants to please. He's never been given an apology for any wrongs done to him and doesn't seem to expect any.
And instead of working deligently at the school he slacks off like he wouldn't get away with at his relatives.
There's just so much he could be or could become given the Canon info we have on him to be use to further define him.
mab70 chapter 13 . 4/27
For a story you don't consider "proper", I found it absolutely and utterly engrossing, a true masterpiece.
I am extremely happy to have stumbled across this, and profoundly grateful you chose to share your marvelous talent.
Thank You.
SilentSnowLeopardNinja chapter 10 . 4/27
Fuck that noise, George Granger was fun. Reminded me of Might Gai sensei. I like Harry's ultimatum of: shut up or I'll take your shit.
SilentSnowLeopardNinja chapter 6 . 4/27
Dude. Harry is totally brutal and I like it. And those emotional scenes almost made me cry twice! Harry is about to intimidate a whole heep of authority figures and make them feel incompetent and insignificant to a child. That's a triple whammy right there.
SilentSnowLeopardNinja chapter 4 . 4/27
You make it sound like Vernon is dead by Lily's ghost when several times before you said he was imprisoned.
gokuhikaru82 chapter 13 . 4/21
I really enjoyed your well written story and looking forward to reading more of your work. Thank you for sharing.
nkh1 chapter 13 . 4/17
Very nice
missgsmith51 chapter 12 . 4/14
Powerful! This was an amazing (if incredibly violent) battle scene. Those Avada Kedavras are such a sanitary, bloodless way to kill someone. It's fitting, I think, that so many of the Pureblood idiots died bloody, "Muggle" deaths.

I loved the appearance of Lily to take down Voldemort and stripping him of his magic. He should have known that violating his oath would bring those consequences. Did he think he could cheat Magic?

So ... Was the stone itself absorbed into Hermione's heart? If so, will she live forever?

For what it's worth, I agree about friendship and romance. I'm always curious about claims of "love at first sight." How is it possible to truly LOVE (in the deepest sense) someone you don't even know? Attraction, infatuation, desire, lust ... all can occur at first sight. Love, however, requires truly knowing and understanding the person one loves, and that takes time. Many will disagree, I suppose, but that has been my experience.
missgsmith51 chapter 7 . 4/14
I like the way these two "Mr. Wizard" kids operate! As to skipping year three ... Harry already knows the truth about all parties involved and has Sirius out of Azkaban, which was more or less the point of PoA anyway.

Perhaps Sirius should seek political asylum elsewhere - Italy or France, or maybe even Black Island - and Harry should follow him. Then let the whole Wizarding world know about the corruption in the Ministry.
missgsmith51 chapter 6 . 4/13
Harry's response to the whole "end of term" business with the mandrakes is exactly what mine was when I read CoS. Colin and Justin effectively lost most of that year lying petrified in the infirmary. Why did Dumbledore feel that this was acceptable when mature mandrake could be purchased and the potion quickly brewed? I will never understand this. Of course, I am also curious that Pomona just happened to get her hands on mandrakes the very year that a Basilisk was about to be loosed upon the school. It seems like rather a BIG coincidence, to me!
2,332 | Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »