Reviews for Brutal Harry
PappyOldGuy chapter 13 . 8/9
Interesting and (well enough written in my opinion) very good story. I like it, I like it a lot! It seems to be meshing the realities quite well, and I can hardly wait (but I will) to see where it all goes. I do know this, when someone who is not the creator of a character, writes about them, it is to have them do something that the creator doesn't want to or didn't think of. I know that I always think of my favorite characters doing things, I have never read of in books or seen them doing in movies. I think it is fantastic that others (here in "FanFiction") are actually writing their stories of what they want them to do in a "What If" world. For those who complain that the characters would not do this or that, forget them. You need to write this first for yourself, and then for the rest of us who do enjoy your take on what just might, could, should, would and probability (if a frog had wings, his ass wouldn't bump the ground nearly so often) can happen. I do know this as well, I am enjoying it and will follow it as long as you will write it. Also, do NOT feel pushed to post, sometimes the words and thoughts just flow and sometimes you have to cogitate for a bit. Just learn to let them grow at their own pace and those of us who appreciate them will be here to read them when they are posted.

Looking forward to the next story and thank you so much for sharing.
PappyOldGuy chapter 1 . 8/8
A very interesting start to what promises to be a really good story, although this is somewhat darker than most. I have read quite a number of Harry Potter stories, and most have been good. It looks like it will likely take a few chapters to get all your main characters and store line fleshed out, but with the hints provided I would like to see where this one goes.

Thanks for sharing!
greenisacolorto chapter 1 . 8/4
The summary of this story intrigued me, so I decided to check it out. It would have been nice to read a fic where Harry reacted in a more realistic fashion to the mental/emotional/sometimes physical abuse he suffered at the hands of the Dursley's. Unfortunately, do to the ridiculously over-exaggerated abuse you wrote, I couldn't finish. The abuse Harry suffered in canon would have been sufficient enough to still write Harry as a "not well-adjusted" member of society, who happened to also be extremely suspicious and unforgiving of those who slighted him. I mean, he was kept in a cupboard for 10 years, for goodness sake.

Whenever I come across fics like this, where the abuse the main character goes through is so extreme that they should have died of their injuries (more-so if it happens MULTIPLE times), yet the only reason why they're still alive is because of _insert ability here_ (in this case, Harry's magic), I can't help but think the reason is for shock value alone. It especially seems so when the character in question already canonically suffered some sort of abuse. Like, the more horrific the situation, the more shocking it will be to the reader, and therefore the more likely an emotional response will be triggered. Unfortunately, in my case, after having seen the trope used too many times to count, that emotion is simply exasperation and disgust as well as an immediate evaporation of any desire to continue reading the fic.
What a retarded AN to end the fic. You fail to understand that the problem is your sick imagination and not what actually happened to Harry in canon. What actually happened to him was not particularly bad. Contrary to your absurd start to this fic, Harry was never beaten by Vernon. He was bullied by Dudley at school just as many if not most kids are. That's it. BFD. Get over yourself.

I tried the first chapter and it sucked so bad I couldn't read it. I skipped to the end to see if it got better and it did until I read your absurd AN. That killed any interest.
avrjoe chapter 13 . 7/28
This story was better than I expected. I have always felt many who profess Christian faith miss the points that most differentiate it from it's Old Testament Hebrew law origins. Love and Forgiveness. Christ Loved and Forgave us that we might follow his path by loving and forgiving others.

Your Epilogue makes me think of 1 Corinthians 13:8 "Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away."
mumphie chapter 13 . 7/27
I found your abused Harry a tad difficult to read at first, but I understand what you were going toward. (that part that found it difficult hides deep in the heart and wants a miraculous healing/love/deep friendships for Harry or other such characters) I, too, took quite a lot of psychology in school so could understand your stance for your characters and am also a "I die a bloody death before I surrender my faith' Christian'". And, I also find it disappointing to find those who profess Faith in the real world, but do little to express or show that they actually know what it means.
It is good to see/read a story where a person/author proclaims their faith. Thank you.
mumphie chapter 3 . 7/26
I truly hope that you will write him a way to overcome his physical, emotional, and spiritual abuse.
One of my three favorite verses from the Bible. Ok, maybe four.
caincuchulainn chapter 13 . 7/24
Hi.
Thank you so much for writing this, and doing it so well. I grew up extremely neglected, not as much as canon-Harry, but enough that his portrayal by Rowling left me absolutely livid. I’m still recovering from the trauma and neglect from growing up with parents who hated me or just didn’t care, but canon-Harry goes through so much worse and is just hunky-dory socially acclimated person. And no one seems to notice how wrong that is.

So in writing this story how you did and as well as you did I think you’re doing a great service to everyone who reads it. And in the end, you didn’t “fix” Harry. He is better, stronger, and more resilient, but he is still a traumatized teenager. Harry still isn’t “okay”. And that, is okay. Which is a powerful and important message.

So kudos, and thank you. I hope you’re doing great in whatever it is you’re doing.

~Rebecca
Ackamarackus chapter 13 . 7/21
thank you for not glorifying abuse and trauma. these are things that don't just heal because love someone, they take time. and this was a wonderful chronicle of how healing works, plus the story was top notch.
korlinki chapter 8 . 7/20
half of the story and he don't kill anyone don't maim and cripple no one is more psychological drama than bad ass mc story. if you like broken mc abused mc or don't know word love mc this story is for you.
This was excellent. Love the amount of thought you have put into the characters. Thank you for a great read!
GrammarFreak chapter 4 . 6/29
"Missus" or "Mrs." Not "Misses."
Musings chapter 2 . 6/26
Always found the super genius Hermione trope to be hilarious. She works hard and is always learning - her actual deductive skills are nowhere near genius level.
zugrian chapter 9 . 6/16
Great story over all, but I wanted to give major props for this chapter in particular. The scene with Gabrielle climbing down into Fleur's room is just amazing. Your portrayal of Gabrielle brought some much needed light into such a dark story.
2,690 | Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »