Reviews for Brutal Harry
thinker0 chapter 13 . 7/18
Wow. This take is amazing :) So awesome
x2leoj chapter 1 . 7/15
Stopped reafing after 3 chapters, this fic just seems off...

Also Harry is definitely not ‘Brutal’ in this despite being viciously beaten regularly by his Muggle Uncle and Cousin. Somehow Lily is alive... and Harry has a stutter and in a Wheelchair?

The pacing is much too fast imo.
hdres chapter 3 . 6/19
Fabulous. Really enjoyed seeing McGonagall sort out Snape.
hdres chapter 2 . 6/19
A really interesting departure from the standard Harry Potter. I like his approach to problems and his calm response to everything. I am also enjoying his exploration of magic. Thank you for sharing your story.
Sue Garrett chapter 6 . 6/1
This chapter made me weep.

Thank you.
Dr Gero chapter 13 . 5/27
This was a good story! And I agree with your final AN 100%. While a lot of Rowling's general ideas are creative and fun (minus her personal takes on real life) she really needed a good co-author or editor to create a more cohesive story, let alone try writing realistic takes or logical actions made by characters. It's also really telling how Hermione should have essentially been the main character when she's the author's admitted mouthpiece. When Rowling couldn't get her characters to know or do something she simply resorted to channelling Hermione while we're stuck with the hero of a thousand faces. A recognizable and fun archetype, but broadly a blank portrait until book 5 when he starts showing anger from likely PTSD or similiar (if we used real life precedence).
Back to the story, I liked the characterization, interactions and general plot beats quite a bit. There were a lot of Harry's actions or reactions I didn't agree with given the more grounded take and his background, but I can see where you're coming from and didn't disagree so much that I stopped reading (obviously). While I have a lot of questions and see how certain plot beats can be reasoned away, like Lily's protection manifesting like this and even her regaining a body through some unintended affect of the rebirth ritual, there are a couple things I disliked but feel could have been won me over with some more time and work. Namely Harry's progression of power and equipment or resources he has on hand. And his general extreme competence at most things he tries. Having his focus be on mobility or wardinglatent magic or passive shield magic boosters or brutal (title drop!) tactics (with a focus on mundane weaponry) would have all been fine, but doing all at once kind of feel like there's two stories going on. The last chapter feels like an effort to combine those two stories, one of a hyper competentPowerful!Harry and the troubled pseudo-child connecting with people for the first time. Unfortunately with how quickly he advances (or maybe the general pace being too fast) the action doesn't really feel earned to me. The character bits I still enjoyed though and some of the handwaved portions are ones I would really like to see, like over 3rd year when Harry is making sort of friends with Slytherin and others. For a Harry that struggles with people, that's kind of the thing I want to see. Or even Dobby trying to navigate the muggle black market to buy things for Harry to increase his arsenal.
I appreciated your take on Dumbledore being stretched too thin and actually recognizing that when presented with evidence and stepping aside. That's a rare move and I like it much more than the typical manipulations or outright evil he's usually written as. Also not having Harry easily beat him aside and with the usual no consequences was nice. Also how Harry focused on his control when he was locked away.
I think that about covers most comments I had. Starting with chapter 7 or the breakout is when it teetered into powerful!Harry (in the sense of resources on hand and competency) too much for my personal tastes but it didn't fall over the edge, so to speak. Also I have to comment that when dealing with firearms, "clips" have specific meanings for certain weapons and the proper word is magazine. Clip is usually slang and not technically correct. That's a pet peeve of mine though and you're hardly the only one to make that mistake, which is regularly reinforced via games and action movies.
I don't know if I'll get to the sequel(s?) right away but I'm looking forward to seeing what happens next. Thank you for the time and effort you've put into this story. Good luck on your future work, original and fan creations!
Dr Gero chapter 7 . 5/26
I... am pretty lost. I feel like we skipped a chapter or three with the whole breakout and satellite-connected military-style tech. And aren't we still in the 90s?
It feels like there's a huge disconnect between the determined and skilled but very much a (troubled) child to suddenly executing (successful) extraction missions from high security locations. I'm also not sure how that plan could have worked without author handwaving, especially the air angle. There are Some competent wizards around, and even wizarding kids know about helicopters, hang-gliding and planes in general.
Maybe the tech used in the breakout was foreshadowed and I missed it? I know Hermione was doing things with the funds Harry provided her and we see she has a computer (and probably internet, if the busy phone line was an indication) but that's about it.
I understand if it's supposed to be a surprise and we're about to get into it, but whipping out drones, flash bangs and satellite uplink without interference feels like too much too fast and from another fic.
Overall I've enjoyed the story and although I don't agree with how some of the characterization of Harry's issues have played out (or maybe some of his responses given his background), I do like the pace a lot and feel like most of his positive change and abilities have progressed at a believable rate. Well, with a dash of super!Harry but as long as the build-up is slow and reasoned away well enough then that's just fun lol.
stylo1 chapter 13 . 5/11
the last thing, which wholly applies to your sequel aswell, without all the death eaters lucy will have lost a lot of political capital so he does not in fact rule britain.
why would they even let lucy alive? its not like his a death eater who will continue unopposed with his vendetta against muggleborn
stylo1 chapter 13 . 5/11
the psychology of your story is really good, the whole lets ignore years of abuse is def not here. that being said your sentence structure sucks and needs a lot of work, there are a lot of small plot holes that dont really matter but they are there. then comes the ending which is beyond dissapointing, harry needed to be saved, for all his preparations he failed really bad
stylo1 chapter 12 . 5/11
it always baffles me how ppl write harry dodging all around spells but when voldy looks serious and cast a single cruciatus it nearly always hits. not because it can pass through shield or anything no it just isnt dodged
stylo1 chapter 10 . 5/11
there is no instance of a country having benefited from prolonged warfare.

normally im quite the fan of sun tzu but this is patently wrong. war drives innovation most technology is derived from military hardware. on top of that an external problem to focus on helps ignore internal problems. hitler used this and if anything he should have dragged out his war far longer instead of over extending so fast
ianramos22 chapter 13 . 5/10
I’ve read this story a couple times now and it always has the same effect of calmness after reading well done.
Gennarbear chapter 8 . 4/26
This man is reminding me a lot of my OChem professor. And of my Highschool Chem teacher, and I love it

SCIENCE
Wildcat94 chapter 2 . 4/21
Kinda sad how this story started out promising and then tanked by chapter two; this is basically another "cool"!MC story. And those are never good.
Why does it feel like his plan A is living in the poles? Didnt he buy lots of islands? Is he gonna circulate weekly or something?

I still think long term he should take over wizarding britan tho, cuz its full of ‘bullies’ and hunt death eaters and voldy and slowly take over the world in the shadows...so he’ll be powerfull in magic, body,mind,bank,socialy and politically he’ll be the wizarding jesus

Cuz honestly will he ever be safe if he doesnt have the crown?

Voldys mark makes it super convinient to hunt them down too so really ittle be just like wack a mole
2,897 | Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »