Reviews for Brutal Harry
The Dain chapter 8 . 8/13/2011
There were some nice subtle examples for the incompetence and general corruption in the ministry in that attempted interrogation scene, apart from the obvious ones. Well done. Scrimgeour has also been outed as a complete politico - any truly experienced law enforcement officer, who should have done something like several hundred interrogations over the course of his career, would have been able to mercilessly push for a prosecution of Harry on the grounds of what he said and likely would have easily achieved a conviction in court. Instead he was so bad at it, he actually got himself prosecuted. That takes a special level of incompetence.

Nevertheless, it was very unwise of Harry to say anything under these circumstances, let alone to admit to seeing Sirius. That could have been used to crucify him in court ('he admitted to be in contact with the dangerous fugitive', etc.). Since the entire interrogation was illegal, it was well in his (assumed) rights to remain silent, or demand the presence of his guardian or that of a lawyer or whatever in order to kill off this blatant violation of the law. And, as the saying goes, even if he had been completely innocent (which he wasn't), and even if he told nothing but the truth (which he likely couldn't have kept up if the interrogation had gone on), and even if the police isn't actively suspecting you or searching for a reason to prosecute you (which they were), and even if the system is impeccably just and incorruptible (the exact opposite is true, of course), it is still never a good idea to talk to the police as a suspect. At all. It can and will be used against you, in whatever way. What Harry said, combined with Scrimgeour's malovence and some generously fuzzy recollections on his part in court, could have easily been used to convict Harry of being a Death Eater's accomplice and a hundred other things.

So it's a bit of a surprise that he of all people elected to play the 'I'm so smart, you're never gonna catch me and I dare you to try and attempt it' routine (which never, ever works IRL - the suspect is up against a professional with countless hours of experience in interrogation) instead of remaining silent.

Then again, the ministry of magic is an entity so incompetent and corrupt that its employees even fail in properly prosecuting political opponents (see the sham trial in OotP, which in large parts failed since they were incapable of coming up with charges which could have survived even one minute of court-time if a real defense lawyer had been present instead of the joke that is Dumbledore), so maybe Harry's mistake wasn't that critical after all. :)
bakapervert chapter 8 . 8/13/2011
Thanks for the update
MikerG chapter 8 . 8/13/2011
I really like the way that Harry stands up for himself. He has remarkable insight into his own character and others. I can see him crafting himself into a formidable warrior for justice.

I am deeply toughed by the level of understanding the Hermione has for him. Harry would be a very difficult person to have any kind of relationship with and yet, Hermione accepts and nurtures him. It is beautiful to see.

Great job!
Mooni444 chapter 8 . 8/13/2011
Your Uncle George reminds me of Might Gai from Naruto. Lovable, but completely insane. I kind of like that Hermione has an Insane Uncle.
LeahHeartsSirius chapter 8 . 8/13/2011
I love this story so much! Thanks for the update!
fhippogriff chapter 8 . 8/13/2011
My favorite thing structurally in this chapter were the Dobby/Harry interludes. My favorite thing personally is that I actually found a split infinitive: "for a single night before, much less a week, and found it to, on the whole, be an intriguing experience." I've never found one before, and I read a TON. I personally think that's one of the studpidest grammar rules ever (much worse than "stupidest")-just because it's impossible to split an infinitive in Latin, they decided that it was wrong to do it in English. Obviously, English is far superior to Latin because we CAN split infinitives. Not to mention the whole dropping of inflective endings, but that's a totally different rant. I loved your Cave Johnson version of George Granger-thanks for that. I'm not quite sure about Harry going all anime and blowing off steam over the north atlantic. Better than making holes in the walls, though. I'm not real sure about all the physical reactions to emotions that we find in fiction. I've thought about writing a fanfiction with the following rules: no blushing, throwing up, or fainting. Even you have Hermione throwing up when she sees the stuff in the cupboard under the stairs. I guess fiction with those rules would result in something like Hemingway. Oh well. (Side note: One of my favorite scenes is a story of Melinda Leo's where one afternoon Ginny promises Harry that they will have sex for the first time that night. All through dinner, Harry is fidgeting with silverware, drumming his fingers on the table, tapping his foot. It was perfect.) Lastly, the "what are you going to do after" part at the end was touching. Thanks for a great read.
DragonsBC chapter 8 . 8/13/2011
Nice chapter, good use of McGonagall as the strict, but professional teacher. All around a great chapter. I did notice towards the beginning that you said Harry got the Stone's Box in the third year not first. I am glad he got it open though, even if he has no idea (as yet) on what he got.
malko050987 chapter 8 . 8/13/2011
I REALLY, REALLY like this story. I didn't think I would, believing it to be another story where his upbringing transforms Harry into someone that belongs in St. Brutus, but this is far from that.

Thank you.
DELETED113213213 chapter 8 . 8/13/2011
Love this chapter! I hope Harry hits a growth spurt soon though.
Memory25 chapter 8 . 8/13/2011
I like this! Especially Uncle GeorgeXD He's so funny! Although Hermione is just so brilliant and keeps learning things like a sponge, he still keeps up with more stuff to teach her! I have to ask though, why is there no interaction between Sirius and Harry? It's like Harry saved him only to ship him to America without any talk between them. That's kind of sad.
King of the Kiln chapter 8 . 8/13/2011
YOu Sir, are an ass. I blame you entirely for my lack of sleep for the last 1 1/2 hrs as I read spellbound (seewhatididthere?) to Brutal Harry. This story has too much substance to its plot to be ignored, too much cleverly lined humor to remain unamused and too little grammatical errors to distract me enough to recognize how fucking tired I am. Dammit Man, you are too thorough - your premise is good, your syntax and paragraphing is fantastic, and you syntax is amaazing. I hate you so much right now.

PS: KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!

/end antirage

King of the Kiln
Kathrin chapter 8 . 8/13/2011
Thank you for yet another update!

I do hope that Hermione will return to doing research for Harry after she has finished her lessons with Uncle George. I am sure she would soon figure out Voldemort's horcruxes and how to destroy them - including the one in Harry's scar...

Looking forward to the next chapter! Keep up the great work!
Nefra chapter 8 . 8/13/2011
"In three different junkyards, in four different countries?" I loved that part, though I guess it *could* happen, with the way a town can sometimes be part of two countries at the same time.

*Thank you*, McGonagall. Finally someone *tells* Harry what is going on and why. And sacks Snape (who's one of my favourite characters, but still shouldn't teach children).

Scrimgeour was interestingly stupid in thinking he could do whatever he wanted. Even if he'd been able to keep Harry in the room, did he really think that it was a clever thing to do with the Boy-Who-Lived?

Thank God (well, JKR and LordsFire) for Hermione. What would Harry do without her?

Sirius in America and George Granger: love them. Especially George.
Zicou chapter 8 . 8/13/2011
Awesome chapter!

I loved uncle George :)

Continuuuuuuuuuue,

Z.
Paladeus chapter 8 . 8/13/2011
Hidy hidy,

This story is still a rather interesting concept. I greatly miss the Harry/Hermione interaction, though, and the possibility of them being more romantically inclined.

Also, when you first mention the box Harry found, you reference he got it during third year, rather than first.

A lot happened in this chapter, really. It doesn't feel like it was enough, but meh.
2,334 | « Prev Page 1 .. 113 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 133 .. Last Next »