Reviews for Brutal Harry
Ikurus chapter 13 . 3/6/2014
This is an absolutely incredible story.
Thank you for writing and sharing this.
Loki Firefox chapter 3 . 3/5/2014
I was afraid when I first started reading this fic that the title "Brutal Harry" and the summary, which stated that this will be an exercise in trying to write a realistic portrayal of Harry as an abuse survivor, I honestly thought it would be a dark Harry out to exact his revenge on the "evil" world.

You might be wondering why I started reading in the first place when if I was so scared. The thing is, when handled well, a fic of Harry righting wrongs and hell-bent on exacting justice (or revenge) in righteous indignation can be fun (and even funny) if done well so I decided to give it a shot.

So glad I did. Even if the prologue seemed to lean toward my earlier expectations; and I don't think Harry was THAT badly abused in canon but I understand why you went that route. The abuse had to be realistic as well. In canon, especially the first two books, I believe JKR was trying to write in the Roald Dahl-Lemony Snickett style of children's stories which clashes so horribly when starting from book 3 onward, it took on a more grounded, young-adult tone.

I find the parallels to Riddle even more satisfying (Tom, too, was bullied as a child and developed his magic wandlessly, too). It's very clear that Harry could have so easily become the next Riddle but somehow didn't. I think it was when he decided he hated bullies instead of becoming one.

However it's this scene in this chapter with McGonagall that got me to write this review. It's so SATISFYING. Usually in the fics I read, if Minerva is on Harry's side, her righteous indignation is usually of the too-little-too-late variety; and Harry already accumulating enough power to be independent or a mover-and-shaker himself.

Here, Harry is still muddling along (I happen to like how you are pacing his power level and Hermione being pulled out of Hogwarts but NOT going to another country or Beauxbatons or disappearing into the Muggle world is an inspired bit of storytelling...honestly can say it's the first time I've encountered it) so she is suddenly up-front-and-center as one of his allies (whether he knows/likes it or not) and puts herself squarely against Snape. Beauty.

I hope she lives up to her promise here. So pleased that this story is done so I don't have to worry about it being completed.
BloopdeDoop chapter 4 . 3/4/2014
YAY DUMBLEDORE IS GETTING THE BOOT
BlackRevenant chapter 13 . 2/21/2014
Good ending.

I am totally on the fence with the Harmony ship.

Glad Lily is back.

Sucks about the permanent nerve damage though, I wonder how that plays into the next story.

Now off to play Borderlands 2 before I go and read it.

BlackRevenant chapter 12 . 2/21/2014
Holy shit.

Awesome, and terrifying, and powerful!

So much happened in this chapter, so much good and so much bad.

This. THIS is the power of Lily's sacrifice. I knew it wasn't the end of the bloody specter that visited Petunia. Love for her son at the end, but "hate" for the man that forced it all.

And now the bastards a squib.

BlackRevenant chapter 11 . 2/21/2014
Go Gabby!

Set Harry up with your sister! They deserve it!

Also, its disgustingly delicious the way Harry is simply crushing the tournament.

BlackRevenant chapter 10 . 2/21/2014
Ok the scene with the Goblet was probably the most awesome thing I have read in a long long time.

The effects of being bound is strong, and it sucks Harry has to deal. I understand his desire to never be controlled. I myself am that special brand of idiot that will never be forced to do anything.

Guy holding a gun to me and robbing me, better kill me or knock me out to take my wallet cause I'll choose the bullet.

in Harry's case, if he refuses he loses his weapon, his magic. No swordsman gives up his sword arm... in stead they make the bastard pay for forcing choice.

Also, Helacuer! I love Fluer! One of my absolute favorite girls to pair Harry with. I know it wont happen but a man can dream.

BlackRevenant chapter 9 . 2/21/2014
I am so glad I discovered this!

BlackRevenant chapter 8 . 2/21/2014
SCIENCE!

Best. Chapter. Yet.

BlackRevenant chapter 7 . 2/21/2014
Freaking. Awesome.

My favorite chapter so far.

Dumbledore's rebuke.

McGonagall's "I cant lie if I dont know what happens"

Then the freaking Mission Impossible Inspector Gadget escape!

Awesome!

BlackRevenant chapter 6 . 2/21/2014
I'd like to say Harry is getting soft.

But that isnt right.

His edge isnt dulled. But its like his blade has found a sheath.

Which in itself, is far more dangerous than a naked blade left to rust.

BlackRevenant chapter 4 . 2/20/2014
I am loving all this character growth.

Everyone. Who is of some importance to the story has in some way grown as a person. Be it realizing their own fallibility. In returning to whom they once were. In facing and owning up to their mistakes.

Powerful.

I am especially a fan of Harry's sudden rage. It was incredibly satisfying.

McGonagall always struck me as a true blue educator, NOT a teacher, like ao many are. Its immensely enjoyable to see her shake off those rose tented glasses.

I am under no illusions that Dumbles is done interfering with Harry though. You went with the "Old Man" version, but even that one (as the nicest version) is a manipulating bastard.

BlackRevenant chapter 3 . 2/20/2014
I like to think the word "brutal" in the title lends itself to the type of action taken.

Not in the traditional sense mind you. But the spirit of said acts.

The act of a wolf ripping the throat of its prey out is considered brutal. But I believe that the act of going for the throat not the tearing it out is the brutality of the act.

Intent is everything. The wolf didnt go for the throat to cause pain, but because it was the most effective way of stopping its prey. That kind of clean, unrepentant action is deliciously brutal in nature.

BlackRevenant chapter 2 . 2/20/2014
This was delicious.

I am enjoying this Harry.

Sad it took what it did for him to decelop this... streak of well swag.

He refuses to be a victim, and is taking steps to insure he never will be again.

Probably the "best" outcome any kid can have after living that kind of childhood.

While not "ok" as it were the stuff he's made of allowed for him not to become a Voldemort.

BlackRevenant chapter 1 . 2/20/2014
Ok excuse my word usage.

What a brutal first chapter.

Seriously. This chapter was horrible to read, though the small satisfaction when Harry slowly stopped being a victim and started working towards never being one again was great.

After the last few Harry Potter stories I've read that have Harry abused and mistreated only for him to get angry and take it instead of lashing out, I'm looking forward to seeing Harry refuse to be used and abused.

Brutal indeed.