Reviews for Brutal Harry
Deathday Party Planner chapter 13 . 6/5/2014
Wow, very well written! IMO, JKR depicted canon!Harry as a weak stumbling character that succeeded less through his brief flashes of power and heroic character than the result of standing at the confluence of vast external influences. I prefer my heroes more like yours, that prevail through the development and exercise of heroic skill, power and sacrificial character and if vast influences are brought to bear they are manifest through our worthy hero. Thank you, I look forward to your sequel.
sea-kingdom chapter 13 . 6/1/2014
i love this so much
and yes, i did find it weird how harry seemed unaffected by his abuse whatsover, and this story is just perfect
i love it
i just
have so many feelings about this story, and i love it
sea-kingdom chapter 3 . 6/1/2014
i'm only on chapter two, and i absolutely ADORE mcgonnagal
yes, she didn't notice he was testing her at first, but once she did, her reaction was exemplary
she refuses to stand for any more bullying etc in the school, and her ultimatum is just perfect
this just proves why she is my favourite professor at hogwarts, because despite her faults, she truly has her students' safety at heart
SeverlyLate chapter 12 . 5/30/2014
Crap, crap,...
Skip, skip...
Disgusting let down of a desent story.
Aithne Maeve chapter 13 . 5/28/2014
this is a great fic! i really enjoyed!
McCabeRz chapter 12 . 5/24/2014
Ah, it seems your sequel is already up and finished, I missed that obviously.

Now instead I'm having to choose whether or not to leave the story unfinished because of my dislike for your complete destruction of your Harry's character because of Lily...

I'll give it a few days, i'll have chosen by then, you'll hear from me if the choice is positive.
McCabeRz chapter 13 . 5/24/2014
I enjoyed this whole story immensely, it flowed well, the character interactions were reality and character were actually developed.

However, your last two chapters ruined the entirety of the story for me, and the mistake? Bringing Lily back.

After writing a gritty story of a child developing through life and dealing with hardships, becoming human, you went from writing a real, dark impacting story to making it all about love, making Harry's entire progress within the story to be all for nothing because in the end he was saved by "Goddess Mary-sue" Lily and her complete understanding of magic that completely transcends Voldemort's, who traveled the world learning.

Your choice to bring Lily back actually has me debating to read your sequel when it's released, what I expected from the last two chapters was Harry coming to grips that he still has leaps and bounds before he's on Voldemort's level, the act forced upon Hermione evident of that, therefore making the bond between Harry and Hermione stronger and actual character development gained from it.

Instead it ends with a child professing his love for a women he never knew and never cared for, in fact the only thing i think done right about this chapter is the development between Harry and Hermione's relationship.

Just...incredibly annoying that you can build this character up from a completely wrecked emotional state, have Harry and Hermione become dependent on each other to the point that they fill in the bits lacking in each other, Harry being the body and Hermione being the mind, to completely destroying all the progress you made by bringing back this damn-near omnipotent women that Harry automatically loves, completely destroying his progress in power and emotions all in the space of two chapters.

Your saying how its not realistic for Canon Harry to be how he is, completely lacking the trauma from his upbringing, but what makes that comment worse is you completely contradicted yourself by having an essentially random women come into Harry's life for not even a full day and he automatically loves her, if you were in Harry's situation you wouldn't give a rats ass about Lily, regardless of HER feelings for YOU.

The progression of Harry and Hermione's relationship is realistic, it's done well and feels real, the progression of Harry's emotional, mental and power state is done well, and all of that is completely taken away by Lily's presence.

I can only hope that I have to come to a conclusion on my opinion by the time your sequel is released.

Thanks for the read.
Guest chapter 13 . 5/16/2014
c mon really lily is back... dammit whyd you have to do that. now shes gonna be all annoying and shit
scarletstrong chapter 13 . 5/15/2014
This has been the best Harry Potter story's I've ever read. When I read this story, your characterization of Harry took on a reality not many professional writers let alone people who write fanfiction are capable of. Thank you for taking the time to share it with the rest of us. And just so you know I like your portrayal of Harry far more than Rowling's.
FireRebel chapter 13 . 5/13/2014
Oh how could you do this to me? Struggling not to cry from this amazing story. It started out intense. Very harsh but effective and made your story different. You eliminated many of the flaws and plot holes in the Potter Universe. Harry was super powerful but understandable so and though at times I thought it may have been a slight stretch in the end it flowed together quite nicely. I apologize for not reading all of your AN but the story had me captivated and rapidly scrolling through the story to finish. In the end the quotes and the true message I believe was put forth so impressively and I just thought this was amazing. Truly astounding.
Litfreak89 chapter 3 . 5/8/2014
Love McGonagall's development here. Great job :)
passanger chapter 11 . 5/8/2014
Wasn't Filch sacked when Dumbledore left?
PaultheEwok chapter 13 . 5/4/2014
Great story I really enjoyed it and the realism you put into it was superb. Yes, this is probably a much more realistic view of how Harry would behave, even if the abuse was much worse, however J.K did write Harry Potter for children, at least the first three books. You can't exactly have children read this story. But I do think J. could've shown more of an affect of Harry's childhood and him dealing with it. Anyway completely away from that one thing I thought about when Harry's name comes out of the goblet, is why would it recognise a name from a different school? Thoughout the tournaments history it's just been three students from Hogwarts, Beauxbatons, and Durmstrang so why would it choose an extra name not from one of them? Different topic, I wasn't really bothered about Harry killing left right and centef however I did think the extent of Hermiones injuries was a bit over the top and admittedly I was quite shocked. But I still enjoyed it and Hermione lived so Yay. Awesome story.
MariSkep chapter 3 . 5/4/2014
I was wondering why you omitted the whole Philospher's Stone bit but it makes more sense now that I see where you're taking the characters. I don't particularly like it but it's not my story.
HikariKurayami88 chapter 13 . 5/2/2014
That Very descriptive, very brutal and very good. One of the best stories I've read. This story sucks you right in with the way you have portrayed Harry. The one chapter with a lot of scene changes to Hermoine and George (I think it was chapter 10) was quite disorientating but otherwise is the story just fantastic. Thank you for writing it
2,373 | « Prev Page 1 .. 4 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 24 .. Last Next »