Reviews for Brutal Harry
Yes. Critique a book that was designed for children about how it wasn't violent or accurate.

Rowling wrote Harry the way she did and I think she did a rather good job of it. Harry isn't fucked up. He displays Resilience. Is it entirely accurate? No! But it's also a bloody fiction. Rowling's world doesn't have to abide by our rules. Your rules. Rowling showed you can have a shitty, abusive upbringing, and still turn out fine. You claim to know psychology. If that's the case, look up resilience. Look up the failure of Learned Helplessness.

No young child (I'm talking mid to late single digits) wants to read a story about a kid being abused, physically or emotionally. Some people choose reading as an escape. So the depressed kid with verbally abusive parents hides behind her Harry Potter books, desperate to find an escape into a world of fantasy. She sees someone with the burden of many placed on him, who was abused and manipulated, overcome his harsh upbringing to contribute to society and save the day. Rowling taught more about the power of love, friendship, and family than you ever have. Quit claiming to do a better job at it.
Guest ab chapter 12 . 2/21
Gods. Your notes reek of arrogance. You're so quick to condemn the western world, pointing out flaws of the few to speak of the whole. You are just as American as those you condemn. Hypocrite.
Wat chapter 10 . 2/21
Wait, so you and your pal spent all that time trying to fix Firefox, going through all of that, just so you could upload a story?

Did it not occur to you or your friend to just use a different internet browser?
Guestavia chapter 4 . 2/21
Slight error. The first recording of the golf club incident, it was a three-iron. Now it's a seven-iron. Small thing, really, but thought you might want to know.
Guests via chapter 1 . 2/21
I appreciate you compacting numerous parts into one chapter.
But to paint a battlefield, you must first find crimson ink.
nanaeleanor chapter 12 . 2/16
So the Lily thing...if she could come back to beat on Vernon, why did she wait till he almost killed Harry and not saved him years of abuse. And ditto in this scene. Seems she could have dispatched Voldy sooner but waited till the last second. That is what a writer should not do without a good reason. And not just some justification you put in an epilogue. Also if Hermione had a leak in her heart, there wouldn't be any seconds at all while she bled out. She would have bled out from any of the wounds you described before Harry finally got to her. If you're going to be extreme in the injuries then it's unrealistic to imagine she wouldn't already be dead from even the earlier ones. And I totally agree with the Harry/Hermione friendship thing. They are best friends and I can never see them moving into the attraction/romantic phase.
Tharl chapter 8 . 2/16
I absolutely adore George Granger.
DarkMando chapter 13 . 2/14
Good ending. I also quite liked your last an, it holds some definite insight to how the mind works.

Nice going with the love part, i liked that. I myself am a die for my faith type person as well (except i'm jewish)

If you are interested in reading a fic with another psychologically challenged character, i would suggest "Of Sheep and Battle chicken" series by LogicalPremise, it may suffer from being a mass effect fic but there are a number of people there with issues.
It is quite interesting:

Faith, Family, Freedom.
DarkMando chapter 8 . 2/14
Excellent story.
As i have a passing interest in psychology, i find this story incredibly interesting and (as far as i can tell) rather accurate.
Thank you.

P.s. We do what we must because we can. Portal FTW!
HeyStardust chapter 13 . 2/12
This is one of the best stories I ever read about harry potter. I agree with you about how bad main hero is Harry. What I like about your story is the realism that has. There are stories where such harry is dependent. Slytheryn. Gryffindor. Whatever. And then Harry discovers and suddenly has a lot of influence in the magical world. Unreal.
Cimroa chapter 13 . 2/6
Absolutely fantastic, you get a ten out of ten from me.
WordSmyth chapter 8 . 2/1
There definitely needs to be a spin-off on the magical and SCIENTIFIC adventures of uncle George.

Also, you seem to believe that an anti-apparition ward creates a space where apparition is not possible. It's a valid idea, but I always felt that it instead creates a space which is, from an apparitioner's viewpoint, cut off from the rest of existence, a sort of pocket dimension where apparition from within to without is improbable. Improbable, because anyone with sufficient magical power multiplied by willpower and an understanding of apparition can penetrate the ward. Simply put; your anti-apparition ward floods a space with anti-apparition Magic, whereas mine creates a barrier of anti apparition magic. I don't know where you're going with this wonderful story, but I feel that the barrier ward would fit better with Harry's use of apparition. Removing some of the potency of his apparition, but leaving it useful in other ways. Or perhaps, both the flood and barrier ward schemes exist and it depends who is using it. Perhaps the flood is more magically expensive but less technical, whereas the opposite lies with the barrier; little skill and great magic opposed to great skill and little magic. And it would seem I have invalidated my previous use of "Simply put", have I not?

I'd like to preventively apologize if I accidentally offended you in the previous paragraph, I simply couldn't think of a better way to phrase it.
bbh chapter 1 . 1/31
Blaze1992 chapter 13 . 1/31
Okay this has been a epic story, I give this a 9 out of 10 you lost a point. Because I felt this was kinda rushed threw considering you went threw 4 book plots with only 100k words. But other than that this has been a great fic to read. Keep up the good work.
2,497 | « Prev Page 1 .. 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 .. Last Next »