Reviews for The Guest
Karen19 chapter 1 . 1/2/2018
I didn't expect the twist about Joe's father. Good story.
SaraiEsq chapter 1 . 9/25/2014
That was totally unexpected - and wonderfully refreshing. Well done.
FlavishamXIII chapter 1 . 3/22/2013
That was so great! I was absolutely not expecting that twist at the end! XD You did fantastic, I hope to see more of your writing!
SpaceEngineerPeanut chapter 1 . 1/5/2013
Wow, what a twist! I sure didn't see that coming. Excellent story, thank you!
Halfred Askold chapter 1 . 2/24/2012
Not bad... not bad at all. I was wondering which one would be his dad, so didn't see it coming.

Rate A-
konarciq chapter 1 . 1/8/2012
Now that was a surprise! And there I was, all the time expecting that it was Carter's son! The way you described him really reminded me of Carter, and then the confusing Andrew for his own son in between...

Great job!
Kirarakim chapter 1 . 7/21/2011
Great story and I love how you showed us a mature Newkirk.

I have to admit I did not guess who Jack's father was. For some reason I thought it would be Hogan, but I should have known better. That was quite a surprise. But still I felt this was a very poignant story that even without meaning to even the worst person can create something good. I am glad Jack was nothing like his father.
Jinzle chapter 1 . 6/21/2011
I don't know what I was expecting but not the ending you gave me. Kept waiting for the punch line. Even though it was a comedy I loved it. Excellent piece, as always.
inhonoredglory chapter 1 . 6/21/2011
Very interesting story! Nice reading one of a slower pace, this time. The characterization of an older Newkirk was very good; it felt like a perfect toned-down version of his youthful wittiness. The ending was quite a surprise; I was wondering what kind of twist was going to go into this. Great job! I enjoyed the story.
Goldleaf83 chapter 1 . 6/20/2011
Good portrayal of an older Newkirk: a very believable future for him. His worries about his son have a strong emotional truth to them. The descriptions of Vietnam combat, though short, seem very realistic from what I know of that war, and I like how Jack's description gives Newkirk a better but not necessarily comforting sense of what his son is probably experiencing. I also liked the little references that give tantalizing hints of what happened with the guys from Stalag 13. I certainly didn't expect the conclusion, but it works very believably to cap the story. Not surprising that Newkirk wouldn't have made the connection on his own, as he more likely would have had Jack been the son of one of his buddies.
buggleston chapter 1 . 6/20/2011
Nice touch of suspense - kept me wondering who the young man was- Hochstetter's son now that threw Story!
Canadian Hogan's Fan chapter 1 . 6/20/2011
Oh, man. Like Sgt. Moffitt said, I should've seen that one coming, as after all, this is 80sarcades we're talking about. (I'd guessed his Dad might have been Hogan, but I'm glad it wasn't that obvious.) Your characterizations were wonderful and Jack is quite a likable guy. He must get it from his mother. :)

This is definitely up there as one of my favourite stories in the tournament.
Bits And Pieces chapter 1 . 6/19/2011
Wow, I love the future life you created for Newkirk, and, aw, the name of his son was a nice touch. I could feel for Newkirk worrying about his son; it's hard to have a loved one so far from home, knowing they're in a dangerous place. I liked Jack, he was a great character. And that was quite a surprise at the end; I certainly didn't see that coming!

Excellent story; so descriptive and well-written. I really loved it!
96 Hubbles chapter 1 . 6/19/2011
This was a very touching story and I enjoyed it immensely. I loved the picture of an older Newkirk and thought his characterization was truly well done. And the twist at the end was a very definite shock!
dust on the wind chapter 1 . 6/19/2011
Well-conceived, and beautifully written.