Reviews for The Pirates of Deneb
Blaine H chapter 9 . 6/4
A very good story.
Clio1792 chapter 9 . 7/25/2011
"Despite what most holo-vids show a space battle isn't visually impressive"

Good line; communicates Beecher's expertise...and the scotch in the water bottle (but surely it didn't look like water...would vodka have been less ostentatious?) was another good touch...

I like Beecher being aware of a pattern with pirates-get too big, and there may be consequences...but I think I'm disappointed that none of the pirates survived to become characters. If, as I trust, Bwephulp's report augers a sequel, I hope we will be able to see Beecher square off, at least verbally, with a few bad guys in the next tale...

Great story!

slytherinsal chapter 9 . 7/17/2011
An exciting conclusion - and a nice reminder that Mr Beecher's day job of cross-correlating goes on under the smooth deputyship of Bwephulp.

I am looking forward to more stories about Mr Beecher.
slytherinsal chapter 8 . 7/13/2011
the tension builds... looking forward to the outcome of this and hoping that it's good! Nice to see Igadushta realising that he can learn a lot from Mr Beecher and too having the courage to swallow his pride and ask. There's hope for the boy even if he does lug around an 'honourable' in his backpack to put on display to frighten away the neighbours
Clio1792 chapter 7 . 7/10/2011
Love "the monocle is affectation"! When ISN'T a Monocle affectation?

I liked the discourse on "spad" and the poignant reminder that Beecher doesn't have kids-but the best is the insight that the annoying Lieutenant is lonely...and nice cliffhanger, as this group of relative "youngsters" dither about their first battle.

OF COURSE you are always scared...only a fool is not afraid, eh?

slytherinsal chapter 7 . 7/10/2011
An eclectic bunch!

A measure of the success of the peace keeping of the Imperium that none of them but Lt Smith had seen battle; and that the veterans of the Fifth Frontier War are exciting and dangerous individuals to be respected. The Imperium does not of course involve itself with the internecine wars of the various Vargr states. I like Lt Uniksae; he's a very cool character.
Clio1792 chapter 6 . 7/5/2011
I like the way the author sets it up that "this trip was different." And that our protagonist is relieved at not being part of the flurry of activity.

'Ergonomically designed for the average biped; which meant that they were equally uncomfortable whatever your species"

VERY FUNNY! We've all sat in chairs like that, eh?

I like the way the opportunity to explain his background-which this reader has wondered about-is built into the story. Very nicely done here, including the stuff that's "classified"-and the patches of humor-but how sad about his immune system-I take it this means our protagonist is alone the rest of his life?

slytherinsal chapter 6 . 7/5/2011
I like this Vagr officer... he's very laid back and happy to take on board an explanation and still be sympathetic when he must be finding Mr Beecher very creepy indeed. Good man.

How true to all military services that the chairs, lounging, officer pattern should be so averaged as to be uncomfortable for everyone. Nice to have the touches of individuality for those people who effectively live here. Leave is a tough business when your home world might be dozens of weeks away in travel.

I add my salute to the Keith brothers and may I pay tribute to Bill Keith's late and lamented brother J. Andrew Keith.
Clio1792 chapter 5 . 7/2/2011
If the battleship is old and past its prime, maybe the key is to take the washing machine and leave the rest home?

I liked Admiral Chang calling our protagonist "my advisor!" That must have rankled with the Lieutenant-although no more than he exactly deserves...but James's expertise will be invaluable once they launch...

So an ice planet furnishes do-it-yourself, "bathtub" hydrogen! Very interesting!

good chapter,

slytherinsal chapter 5 . 7/2/2011
left on a bit of a cliffie! I hope that the poor old lady will be sufficient for the job... and that none of her litany of woes are likely to penetrate the jump-space bubble and cause a misjump...

at least if they do our Scout will know all the correct proceedures.
Clio1792 chapter 4 . 6/29/2011
If something isn't of any value, why would you conceal it? hmmm...

Is Daneb a new name for Earth? And liked the idea that Beecher hoped he'd woken that annoying Lieutenant up...and even better when he put him in his place with Admiral Chang...great denoument there!

slytherinsal chapter 4 . 6/29/2011
truly delightful description of Deneb from orbit; very evocative.

And I just LOVED seeing Igadushta's expression in my mind's eye when he found out he's been patronising a man who's forgotten more about navigation and piloting than he's ever learned!

Looking forward to more!
Clio1792 chapter 3 . 6/26/2011
"oh sorry, personal organisational expediter."

Nice cynical humor there about the divorce between title and job...and "the eyes were open but nobody was home," was funny as well...

I am interested in two threads in this chapter of much interest: first, what's wrong with our protagonist? What happened to him on his last scout mission, and why is he chronically ill?

Second, is it possible that there is something in the Great Rift, maybe a planet with ruins on it, or something, that could be acting as a pirate base, even as archipelago islands function as supports to water-logged pirates on earth?

Eagerly awaiting your next chapter,

slytherinsal chapter 3 . 6/26/2011
"She was dressed in the height of Denebian fashion and the depths of taste."

immediate picture and it's not attractive...

This is really hotting up. A world not on standard maps -exciting! trust an archaeologist to end up in places no-one else realised there were places to be.

Love the deeper insights into Bwephulp and the way she thinks; and an interesting exchange over the external view of her and others of her race
Clio1792 chapter 2 . 6/22/2011
"I thought it was about time I indicated some glimmer of intellect before Lt. Igadushta patted me on the head and gave me a dog biscuit."

hee hee

In general, our protagonist's internal commentary on the Navy Lt. Igadushta's information and how he delivers it is wonderfully done...isn't it a good thing the people one meets in formal work settings aren't mind readers?

"intensive chemical interrogation?" yikes. On the other hand, the pirate Admiral doesn't sound like Mr. Fuzzy either..."pleasant chap" is so understated!

If this were a police procedural, the good guys would go looking for the folks who manufacture rutters, yes? If it's a complex, expensive instrument, my guess is, there are only a few folks who know how to build one, and the decision to sell one to the pirates would be exceptional (in addition, presumably, to being illegal) and remembered...and an individual with the expertisse to craft a rutter might be too valuable to skin and drop from a great height...?

I will be interested to see what our wry and experienced hero comes up with here!