Reviews for Measure of a Man
SaoirseParisa chapter 1 . 12/30/2017
Hey there! I'm reviewing this as part of the Little Known Fandom Forum's review game! And I have to admit, I've seen Remember The Titans plenty of times as a kid, though I don't really remember much about it. I hope my review for this does your story justice.

One thing I definitely liked was how subtle you made the racism here. As far as I can remember, the movie was about desegregating, and I can remember some scenes where the public was not happy about having whites and blacks in the same places. I like some of the little stuff you peppered in, like the white and black kids making fun of Boone and his thoughts about that. That was surprisingly well done. I also liked this line here, "Even the nicest cabins are hot and sticky from racial hatred and faulty air-conditioners." It speaks volumes about not only his own state of mind, but how he feels about all the racism being directed at him and his team as a whole.

I definitely remember Nikki, his daughter. I remember her being very girly and she was never too keen on the idea of being friends with that other coach's daughter (I think her name was...Sheryl? I'm not sure. It's been a long time since I've seen the movie). Of course, the absolute best part of the fic is how you juxtapose both sides of Boone's character: His kind, caring side that he shows to his family (Which his team is obviously very shocked about), and his more harsh, no-nonsense but well meaning side that he shows to his team. Definitely the highlight of the fic as a whole, and you did a great job of that, along with the moral at the end, even if it did seem a bit ham-fisted in the way Boone just screams it at his team.

Anyway, those are my two cents. Great job!
mikey magee chapter 1 . 7/9/2017
First off, I've always loved Remember the Titans, so it's really great to see this story here!

I loved your opening lines here. The juxtaposition of the "hot summer days" and the toll it takes on Boone and the other athletes conjures a beautiful image of dread and lethargy.

I also love the duality you introduce here when it comes to coach Boone. His characterization, in both the film and your story was one of hard, drill-sergeant like precision and discipline. However, when he sees his daughter, that facade melts away and he returns to the father he always was. There is an interesting play on the people Boone plays here. I thought it was well done how he struggled to keep his "tough guy" facade on for his players, but ultimately succumbs to his base instincts as a doting father.

Furthermore, your imagery in describing Karen and Carol were wonderful. You managed to show Karen as beautiful in a subtle way. And Karen's innocence was described well (from the use of her hair ribbons and painted nails as a beautiful segue way into the world of fatherhood that Boone had left behind for football.

This was a lovely read. Great work.
jpbrya1 chapter 1 . 10/16/2015
The story had a good meaning, and lesson to be learned. I know when I played football a big thing our coached preached was growing up and being a man it was not so much about the game itself. I do wish there were more to do with football though. Good job overall.
bethD16 chapter 1 . 10/9/2015
The ending is so powerful, great job!
VG LittleBear chapter 1 . 4/22/2014
Oups, I thought this was an NCIS story right through the end. But it could have been ... something for DiNozzo to take home with from one of the endless summer camps his father sent him to! Wouldn't Senior have had kittens if little Tony told him, Coach said you ain't a man!
Great story! Cheers!
Alex B. Goode chapter 1 . 10/31/2012
So totally awesome!
Izzy848 chapter 1 . 8/2/2012
And don't let nobody tell you differently.

Ain't no mountain high enough,
Ain't no valley low enough,
Ain't no river wide enough...
Sunnykisses chapter 1 . 6/29/2011
This story is really beautiful. I love both sides of Boone, and this is like one of my favorite movies. You did great. :)
ella chapter 1 . 6/20/2011
I always look for new Remember the Titans stories (there are far too few lol), and I loved this. I especially loved the line about being a real father makes you a man. Great story! :)