Reviews for The ways of Men
wrmauney chapter 1 . 1/1/2014
HaHaHa, Eomer and Aragorn teaming up! I love it!
TheRoadgoeseverOnAndOn chapter 1 . 4/17/2012
A great story. Very well written.
Eminnis chapter 1 . 8/3/2011
Oh poor Legolas! LOL!

Eminnis
Aelaer chapter 1 . 6/24/2011
This was a *fantastic* first fic, to say the least. Well written, exploring something that I have never seen explored before (what would Elves think of the very often dangerous jousting tournaments?), and a satisfying conclusion. Nicely done. I hope this is not your last story!
StarLight9 chapter 1 . 6/21/2011
What a nice twist at the end! This was good, keep writing!
Ragnelle chapter 1 . 6/21/2011
This was far from boring. Lighthearted but not too fluffy, and I liked for the most part the characterizations. You even made Legolas seem more interesting to me than I usually find him. Well done!

One comment on tournaments and jousting though. The aim has always been, historically as well as in modern recreations, to break your _own_ lance on the opponent's shield, armor or helmet. Alternatively to unhorse the opponent, or bear both horse and rider to the ground. But the breaking of the lances were the most common, and what is mentioned most often in the sources I know of. Hurting the opponents horse was not done often, and one reason was that if you unhorsed the other rider, you won his horse. You would not want to hurt a valuable horse that might become yours ;)

Accidents would happen, and in some kind of tournaments, especially the early ones, deaths were sadly common enough. This was most in the melée kind of joustings, where there would be many knights fighting at once.

So, a little more research on how tournaments were fought, would improve the story, but other than that, I have little to complain about. Though the ending could use a little more work. I was not able to catch what the bet was about. Have Legolas confess that tournaments played a vital role? That does not seem like much of a confession to me. Also, if Éomer and Aragorn was in on the bet together, why would Éomer not understand the glance Aragorn shot Legolas? I would think it more likely that it would be the other way around, Aragorn giving Éomer a look that Legolas did not understand.

Okay, then I found a little bit more, but not much. And this was overall a good story.
Legolass Q chapter 1 . 6/20/2011
This is a well-written and insightful piece allowing the characters, and therefore the readers, to view such events from different perspectives. Smooth and thoughtful dialogue, interspersed with effective bits of humour, sets the story plausibly within the LOTR era. The story was imaginative, but the characters true to their nature in the Tolkienian world. Lovely to see the light-heartedness of hardened warriors like Aragorn and Eomer after the Quest. These honest observations will, I hope, be encouragement enough for you to write more if you wish to. :-)

Having said all that about the wonderful writing and the well-structured story, I have to say, however, that I absolutely agree with Legolas on this matter; I never have and don't see myself appreciating anytime in the near future the deliberate actions of Men in sports like jousting or boxing or wrestling or Thai kick-boxing where the intention is to win by hurting. I'm afraid Aragorn and Eomer would have lost their bets on me. :-)
cairistiona7 chapter 1 . 6/20/2011
Not a boring story at all. :) I liked how you had Aragorn exercise wisdom and patience in letting Legolas learn for himself the importance to Men of what he saw only as wanton waste of life and limb. Using Eowyn's words was a very nice touch... Men do indeed prefer risk to a safe cage. Very nicely done-I hope you write more!