Reviews for An Unexpected Novel
WalkingInTalaria chapter 1 . 12/13/2015
I laughed so many times while reading this, and even now I'm staring at my screen grinning like a drunk Took. As a dedicated Lord of the Rings fan who also knows a bit about the book version of Sherlock Holmes (though sadly I have yet to see the show) this was hilarious. Watson and Sherlock are, now that I think about it, almost exactly like Bilbo and Smaug (although with the slight difference that Smaug would be more than happy to devour Bilbo in a flash of fire and snapping teeth, while Sherlock does not usually indulge in cannibalism) and your writing really brought this out in a lot of clever ways.

This is probably a lot to ask, but would you ever consider writing some sort of follow-up to this with Sherlock's reaction to the new books Watson has given him? I realize that this might mess with the feel of the story, and that some things are in their best form when they're unwritten but hinted at, but the raging Silmarillion fan inside me is irrationally desperate for more. Regardless of whether you write more or not, I really liked this. Anyway, sorry for the really long rant-review! Thanks for letting this out into the world.
Asyndetism chapter 1 . 11/2/2014
Oh, my favorite series. I actually quite enjoyed The Silmarillion, even though it definitely was a mouthful and the language was so formal and it made me keep reading the same sentence over and over without realizing it because it was so confusing and there were too many names to keep up with and most of the characters had multiple names...
thomaseliot chapter 1 . 4/8/2014
Charming. And totally believable. :)
d1x1lady chapter 1 . 3/6/2014
Such a happy story! Love it.
Violet Verner chapter 1 . 2/21/2014
That was so cute! I will never stop liking Smauglock and Biljohn jokes. Good job.
AnotherBook chapter 1 . 1/1/2014
This is epic! I can absolutely see Sherlock becoming obsessed with the Lord of the Rings.
Excellent work!
ErinKenobi2893 chapter 1 . 1/1/2014
This is HYSTERICAL. And sweet. And cute. Well done!
I wonder what Sherlock will think of Frodo... hopefully better than he would if he watched the movies. ;-P And the Silmarillion! ;-D One of my favorites. :-D
nimagine chapter 1 . 6/28/2013
*whimpers with delight* I love it. LOVE IT. LOOOOOVE IT! Great job! Your characterization was BRILLIANT and it was just too cute! And I love The Hobbit and LOTR and Silmarillion so much that Sherlock's eagerness for it makes me want to cry with joy... LOVE! Favorite Sherlock/Hobbit crossover!
Phosphorescent chapter 1 . 2/6/2013
Ah, this is delightful. Now you have to write a sequel or two, of course. ;-)
paisley15 chapter 1 . 1/6/2013
Oh, this is awesome! Great job!
Sherley Holmes chapter 1 . 10/9/2012
This is absolutely fantastic :D Sherlock really would love The Hobbit (who doesn't, honestly?)
Heidinanookie chapter 1 . 2/6/2012
Haha, fantastic! Apart from this being another of your brilliant pieces of writing, I love the concept. In fact, I started to write something similar for "House" once (which, incidentally, is based on Sherlock Holmes) where Wilson gets enthralled with The Hobbit and LotR and House, after initial disdain, turns into even more of a fan than Wilson.

I can't wait to see/hear Martin and Ben in the movie.

heidi
not paranoid enough chapter 1 . 1/8/2012
Love it!
fullmetaldork chapter 1 . 9/28/2011
I can just imagine this so easily. Gahhh. I love how you aligned the characters that they just happen to like best. Please keep writing Sherlock fanfics!
Ceri Moriarty chapter 1 . 9/19/2011
BAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh, Sherlock. You write him so perfectly.

…write more Sherlock fanfic, please. You're so good at it!