Reviews for Mending
AllThingsInsane chapter 2 . 9/27/2012
Very good two-shot story! I think the painful tragedy in all of this is that even the happiest of occasions like fathers day, or a birthday, was too painful for John to even contemplate celebrating because it reminded him of all that he had lost when Mary died.
Noelani618 chapter 2 . 7/20/2011
This chapter is just sooo sad! Oh John, can't you see how much it means that you be there with your sons? His shame and guilt and stubborness come across beautifully. You have John Winchester pegged and while this is heartbreaking to read, its a wonderful reminder of how human John was and that he made many mistakes, but still loved and treasured his boys. His thoughts about Dean as a baby and a toddler are very powerful especially as in the present Dean is badly injured as the result of a hunt.

Lovely companion piece to Sam's POV. :)
Noelani618 chapter 1 . 7/20/2011
Poor Winchesters! All three of em! :(

That said, this is a wonderful insight into Sam's mind as a teen and how he views his father and brother. Its also nice insight into the Winchester family and the topsy-turvy dynamics.

Poor Dean and his leg! Hehe, but I adore his commentary at the beginning as he's watching the horror marathon. But it broke my heart how he fell silent after John left, not sticking around for Father's Day. But go Sammy for honoring his 'father' anyway by buying him pizza and peanut M&Ms.

Great work!
bhoney chapter 2 . 6/30/2011
Awww, so sad. This was totally in character, though, and so well written.

I really liked Bobby and John's interaction-wish we'd seen them together on the show. It would be an interesting dynamic. I'm glad you had Bobby righteously angry at John for leaving the boys.

"It was always louder on Father's Day." That was both sad and telling.

And this: "John Winchester loved his sons, and he'd done his best, but his best wasn't good enough. He couldn't face that, couldn't face his boys. Not today.

Coward, the father in him whispered.

John didn't even try to disagree." Oh. Poor John. Poor boys. So bittersweet.

I LOVED the little glimpses into John's past with Mary, her telling him she was pregnant and the wee!Dean moments. Lovely.

Thanks again! :)
bhoney chapter 1 . 6/30/2011
Awwww, that was WONDERFUL! I love that Sam got Dean something for Father's Day. *squishes story to chest*

And thank you, SO MUCH, for the wonderful surprise! I love it! I waited to read it until my leg was really hurting and yes, it did make my leg feel a little better, and took my mind off the pain. Good medicine. ;)

Thanks, sweetie! *hugs*
Supernoodle chapter 2 . 6/24/2011
That was great - from both POVs. The way Sam and John just never really got where the other was coming from. X
Nana56 chapter 2 . 6/23/2011
Good to see John's POV. This sounds just like I'd think it would. It all sounds like how he justified it to himself.

Well done. :)
SupernaturallyEgocentric chapter 2 . 6/23/2011
Great chapter, very well done.
historylover chapter 2 . 6/23/2011
Heh. I had to do the math. "Let's see... Dean was born end of January... yeah, that would work."

Great companion piece! Although John's still a jerk.

Kat
cold kagome chapter 1 . 6/21/2011
AWWWWWE... LOVE IT SAMMY IS AWOEMSE
Nyx Ro chapter 1 . 6/21/2011
It seems like Sam is very clear on who his REAL father is. ;-D
Zyanya chapter 1 . 6/21/2011
Sam was very nice with Dean...you really played with the role that Sam has in the family...as a John's rival, the protector of Dean but most of all Dean's son. Great job! Thanks
SophieSaulie chapter 1 . 6/21/2011
Awwww...loved this story. It was sweet and sentimental and I always love to read stories where Dean and Sam have even a single moment of normalcy, a moment where all that mattered was that one brother cared about the other. I miss that on the show though it looks like it's starting to come back to that, especially now that Sam is "recovering" from his time in Hell. I also love how you integrated Sam filling out college applications. I love how the answers to the questions paralleled oppositely to John's actions!

Fave Parts:

"That was ridiculous, dude," Dean complained. "If you tried that with a real poltergeist, you'd be dead."

"Aw, come on, you call that a werewolf?"

"What's wrong with you, lady? Don't just stand there! Run!"

"Oh, please. Like a regular iron round would work against that."

-HILARIOUS and I can SO see Dean doing this! Heck, I do it sometimes!

Are you a U.S. citizen? Yes.

Have you ever been convicted of a felony? No.

Sam heard his dad check the clip on his gun, but his gaze stayed resolutely on the page.

Do you have a driver's license? Yes.

Keys jingled, and Sam grit his teeth.

-When I read the felony question my head also went to "not yet" for Sam's real answer.

"Dean," their dad started, "the doc gave you pain meds for a reason. You need 'em, take 'em. Sam, if your brother needs anything, you get it. No arguments."

-This made me smile for obvious reasons. Dean not taking pain meds delights me. Hahaha.

Great story!
historylover chapter 1 . 6/21/2011
That was great! I really enjoyed it.

Kat
Nana56 chapter 1 . 6/21/2011
Yep. Those boys had to do the best they could and depend on each other. John would never by father of the year, but I never questioned his love for them.

Poor Dean, tho! Mercy! Can't imagine him having to put up with being out of commission for so long. :(

Very nicely done, my dear. :)