Reviews for Reach: Winterbirth
MightBeGone chapter 37 . 8/19
This fic is better than most published books. Absolutly amazing.
Jwhy chapter 37 . 8/18
Venturing into uncharted territory here...I like.

Glad it's still going.
Stycorax chapter 37 . 8/17
When I read the chapter title I immediately thought of Rapunzel's healing song from the Disney movie 'Tangled'-whether that was a deliberate reference or not I don't know, but if you haven't you should definitely check the song out, I think the lyrics fit rather well with what Jen has been going through the past few chapters but especially this one.

I've been rereading this story over the past week so the timing of this update was uncanny. I noticed a lot of things I passed over the first few times I read this story over, and I must say you have an excellent knack for subtle foreshadowing! Things you implied in the beginning chapters are being realized in these later chapters, and I never would've caught it and been able to appreciate it if I hadn't re-read the story!

One of the main things that really caught my attention was the way Jorge interacted with Jen. Did he develop romantic feelings for her? It seems to me that he did (and I love that by the way), but Jorge was such a kind fellow it's hard for me to tell if his feelings were romantic or merely friendly.

As to this chapter itself, it's definitely one of my favorites. I love how Jen gave Emile a resting place instead of just leaving him. Her believing he deserved better really highlights how much she's changed over the course of the story. Calling her trek back to where Carter died a pilgrimage and her realizing how 'Covenant' of a term it sounded like was a very nice touch.

The last few paragraphs were absolutely amazing- between Jen finally realizing she didn't want to die 'at all' instead of 'here' and the symbolism throughout the chapter coming to a powerful climax made me have to take a step back and settle down before writing this review!

All in all, excellent chapter as always!
Spartans091 chapter 37 . 8/17
Welcome back! This chapter had me in tears. Poor Jen. She's struggling so hard with so many different things and how you chose to write that struggle out was perfect. Absolutely perfect. A. That cliffhanger literally has me on the edge of my seat. Maybe it's not a cliffhanger but I see it as such. Is it a literal jump? Metaphorical? Don't know but I both love it and hate it because I so badly want to know what happens.

Sorry to hear that your computer is heading into the shop for an unknown time, but whenever the next chapter comes out I'll be eagerly awaiting it! :)
Acriym chapter 36 . 8/8
Okay so I've been meaning to review since your last update (almost four months ago rofl) but kept forgetting, so I'm going to do it now.

I have no words for how much I adore this story; it's something I keep coming back to when I'm in the midst of extraordinarily stressful situations and need a good break. You have this attention to detail in your prose that I love, not to mention all of the other little details: stuff like the association between Jen's helmet and her usage of it to hide her identity, so to speak... and then during the mission to the Visegrad relay her helmet cracks and as she fixes it it's mentioned that it was due for replacement anyway, subtly noting/foreshadowing her gradually opening up to the team and her dissociated identity as "Six" slowly wearing down. I might be reading into that too much, haha, but regardless, you have a way of saying a great deal without saying a lot. A lot of stories, both on this site and off, make a habit of actually explaining too many things to the reader instead of letting the reader puzzle through these things themselves. Which is why this story is always a treat to re-read! I feel like I'm always realizing new things about the characters every time. There were some little inconsistencies in the beginning regarding canon (the circumstances regarding Thom's death, for example, and Halsey knowing Jennifer beforehand even though she didn't know anything about the S-III's was a little strange), but I didn't find that they detracted too much from the story.

I thought the romance was well done - although I felt kinda bad for Carter at times, lol! The poor guy keeps trying and Jen waffles quite a bit back forth (which was understandable, given what she's dealing with throughout the story). I kept rereading the sections with Jorge, and I couldn't decide on whether or not Jorge was just a very compassionate, friendly guy who was good at reading people and picking up on their emotions, or if he did have some quiet feelings for Jen. Either way, I suppose it all kind of ties into the tragedy of the story and the romance arcs: that regardless of what anyone felt, romantically or otherwise, there just wasn't time to sort through their feelings and work them out in detail. On another note, I kept hoping that the canon divergence warning in the summary would mean that Carter survived (I'm still in denial - maybe he escaped? ;_;) but alas! Hopefully it means that Jen will, though!

Also: reading the story from Carter's perspective would be amazing! I kept wondering all throughout what exactly he was thinking while Jen ran about her business (especially after the Long Night of Solace's destruction, when knowledge of her survival was kinda up in the air). One can kind of puzzle it out through Jen's perspective but it would be fascinating to read Carter's in detail. Were you still considering posting that story? If you decide to I will be all over that! I always thought an interlude from Kat's perspective would be an interesting read too, since she seemed to pick up on the undercurrents between Jen and Carter's interactions fairly early. Given that she was struggling with some of her own issues too, particularly regarding Carter, the war, Thom, and Jen, it'd also be fascinating to see certain scenes from her perspective (like that whole time they're stuck together during the assault on the Viery territory lmao).

Tl;dr: I really love this story and your writing. Please update soon! :D
Spartans091 chapter 36 . 7/25
Oh my god. I stumbled upon this last night and spent all night and a few hours today reading the whole thing. This story is absolutely amazing. All the characters are on point, no one was ever out of character, and everyone was so flushed out and written perfectly. You had me smiling and giggling and being as giddy as a young teenage girl with a crush on the hot jock and you had me crying. Such an incredible story and I'm hoping to see the next chapter come out soon! Hoping that you go the route that the game takes and do the final chapter to this story as being that "lone wolf" level so to speak, I think it would be a very fitting way for Jen to go out for sure. As for the Carter spinoff with the re-telling of this story from his perspective I'm so down! I constantly found myself wondering how Carter would react to some of the stunts that Jen pulled when she was with some of the others, or how he would think about certain things. Again, can't wait to read the next chapter! Hopefully it's soon but I totally understand that real life comes first too. :)
Sheity Williams chapter 36 . 4/7
Oh man. Reading this felt like there was an invisible hard clenching my heart painfully. Jaysus. I loved this chapter so much. I don't know how to describe it, but this just made me so emotional, also because I know what happens in-game. Dang. I'm truly amazed. Incredible. Keep up the good work. Just wow. PS: I'm kinda hoping Carter is not quite dead and they can have one last goodbye, but I know it's not going to happen xD
WolfAssassin369 chapter 36 . 4/7
Still here! Can't wait to see what happens next!
Beep chapter 35 . 1/31
I would kill for this story told from Carter's POV.
custardcake chapter 35 . 1/18
Helloooooo! Just wanted to say that this is an absolutely amazing fanfic. One of my all-time favourites if I'm honest. I adore how you've fleshed out Jennifer's character (so much so, that my heart broke for her by the end of this chapter), and how you've managed to illustrate her relationship with each member of Noble Team.
When I started to read this, it was kind of a given fact that Noble Team won't be making it through. But that you were/are able to make a reader care so much about them despite the end that awaited them is a testament to your writing ability.
Also, 'Winterbirth: Retrograde' seems like a fantastic idea! A oneshot would be amazing, but that you would consider fleshing out several different moments is almost like a dream come true.

So thank you so very much for this fantastic piece of work!
WolfAssassin369 chapter 35 . 1/14
Gotta say, I am absolutely LOVING this story! And if it's going in the direction I think it's going, I have a question please!
Stycorax chapter 35 . 1/12
Enjoyed this chapter, you portrayed the sense of oppression and hopelessness very well. I like how Emile has mellowed out because of the situation, as if he's realizing just how dire the situation is and how it's no time to be trigger happy or joking around. I especially liked the exchange between him and Jen at the end, how it seems like he's trying to comfort her in his own way and bring her back out of her internal war. Carter's words haunting her thoughts are a nice touch as well, it really makes her regret and grief apparent.
Keep up the good work!
Chibi-Liz05 chapter 35 . 1/11
YES! Chapters in Carter's Pov would be amazing! I'm up to wait for them if you wish to write them.
lovefuryANDpassion chapter 35 . 1/10
This was just as good as the rest of the chapters and I'm sad that the story is very nearly coming to an end! I feel this chapter was more mellow and sped up which give it a good change of pace and the way you describe things is just amazing as usual. I also like how you incorporated Carter's words in there as well as sort of like a mantra for Jen. Still not over his death and the fact that they didn't get a proper goodbye, I guess Emile's comforting words will have to do. You played it out beautifully anyway. I've loved seeing your character grow in this universe. Keep writing!
Nivans chapter 35 . 1/10
After a shitty day, I was not expecting to have this updated. I wasn't expecting anything good to come from this day. And I'm going to be honest here: I had kinda forgotten about this story, but- ya know. But, when I got the notification you updated the story, I was so happy. I found this story maybe.. Two-three years ago? And I fell in love with your writing. It's hard to come across writing like this, for me at least. And each chapter, I have enjoyed. And: Even if i have to wait, I am looking forward to the next chapter. And if you decided to do it: Carters P.o.v.