Reviews for All Along the Watchtower
rebecca-in-blue chapter 20 . 9/26
I really like Alex's narration here, and the kids' attempts to cheer up Charles are so sweet and sad at the same time. You write the post-beach, wheel-spinning idleness of their lives very well, and I'm curious to see what will happen now that Charles is "back."
rebecca-in-blue chapter 19 . 8/15
Well, for some feedback on your experiment, I had no clue who Erik was talking to right up to the end. Probably because it's been so long now since I read Petra's chapter. His dialogue with her was so dark, even for him, I think. I'm curious to see how/if she's going to find out whether Charles is alive or dead. I loved Charles's conversation with the neurologist at the end; he made me lol with every freakin' line!
rebecca-in-blue chapter 18 . 7/25
I love the way Erik takes charge of the situation in the first part of this chapter. He certainly isn't the same kind of leader that Charles is, but he's a good one for situations as intense as these. Once again, I can't wait to see what happens next, and I lol'ed at your "everyone in kitty form" P.S. Just what I needed after all that angst!
rebecca-in-blue chapter 17 . 5/23
Oh my gosh, this chapter. I wish the X-Men franchise would hire you as a writer. (Especially after reading reviews and spoilers for Apocalypse, which left me very underwhelmed.) I just love love this chapter, especially for its darn perfect mix of drama and humor. There's the intensity of Charles telling Erik to spiral the coin inside Shaw's brain (again, very impressed b your research/knowledge), immediately relieved by the scene with the sock (I lol'ed so hard at "I'm going to be carrying around a sock" and "It'll accentuate things"). The intensity of Erik not wanting Charles to see the events behind his burn, offset by Alex talking about G-spots - oh my gosh, I almost died at Charles looking "faintly amused and faintly horrified"!

I also love the changes you made to Cuba, especially both of them going into the submarine *together* to take down Shaw. I also loved that you gave Raven something to actually DO during all the fighting... but I didn't love it quite so much when you killed her off. This is an interesting twist on canon - instead of inadvertently paralyzing Charles, Erik has inadvertently killed Raven. What a cliff-hanger ending: Is their beach divorce still inevitable? Or can they come back from this one?
rebecca-in-blue chapter 16 . 5/16
Oh, this chapter is almost too much for me - not just the scenes of Erik in the camp (which were so intense that I could only skim them) but the opening scenes of Charles and Erik are too much in a good way. I love the paragraph about Charles having a gun as a boy, and his idea of evil/monsters vs. Erik's. And their dialogue over the chessboard just kills me. Erik trying to horrify Charles with his talk about killing the bishop - I think in a way, he almost wants Charles to see him as a monster, because that is how he sees himself.

Charles's internal monologue in front of the mirror works very well, too. "I don't want this to end," "You gave me serenity, I gave you rage" - oh, I am so curious to see what happens next. Perhaps this darn review glitch will be fixed by next Monday!
rebecca-in-blue chapter 15 . 5/9
Oh, I love this chapter. There is so much meaning in the silences. I love Charles forcing himself to shut up and wait, not only because Erik clearly needed that time, but also because it's an interesting contrast to how much talking he's done in earlier chapters. I think you can see the young, sometimes rather brash McAvoy evolving into the older, wise Sir Stewart here

As much as I love this chapter, the "He turned his attention to Erik..." paragraph almost lost me. A lot of technical talk that feels rather indulgent and that I don't think offers much to readers who aren't linguistic scholars. Oy. Perhaps this is how Charles's brainy thought processes work, but I think it could be condensed down somewhat.

Oh, Erik's confession that he almost killed him - the freakin' feels. Also love the little touch that Erik had hold of Sean's suit when he pushed him off the satellite dish.

I figured that Erik was probably praying when Charles couldn't identify the language but made out the "doe-nye" sound. I was rather a little surprised by your author's note saying that Adonai recurs 10 times in the Shema, which is only true if you recite the whole lengthy thing. Maybe Erik is doing that here, but I feel like there should be some clarification that only the first part (Shema Yisrael) and occasionally the second part (Baruch Shem) are said daily. At least as far as this lax Reform girl knows.

But I have to say, even this lax Reform girls knows what the Shema means, and I find it pretty hard to swallow that Erik, who was raised much more observantly, would forget. I can definitely see his memory being a little unsure, or not remembering the entire thing, but to completely forget it all, as he seems to do here? I mean, the Shema is the most important prayer in the whole religion. It's everywhere, and it stays with you like a 2,000-year-old Jewish instict, especially the first line. I feel like there needs to be something stronger behind Erik forgetting it, like trauma causing him to repress it. Of course, maybe there's no point to saying this since haven't been replying to my reviews, which makes me a little sad. Maybe you're not active on the site anymore.
rebecca-in-blue chapter 13 . 4/25
Hahaha, I love how Charles isn't discouraged in the least by Erik's short responses, and just keeps right on talking! Oh, Erik's reaction when he puts on the record is so well-done - all the right feels in him trying to hide his shaking arm from Charles. I also LOVE the conversation between Charles and Raven near the end, his concern for Erik, and her anger and insistence that he should let Shaw die, and the interaction between them.

I know you said in the beginning that you mainly write dialogue, but I think that your descriptive skills are better than you realize, and that you're doing this story a disservice by not focusing more on the setting. Don't get me wrong, I love your work, and your dialogue is excellent, but it could benefit from hugely from a little more atmosphere.

Curious to see what Erik is mumbling over those sticks!
rebecca-in-blue chapter 12 . 4/18
"Are you practicing?" and Erik thinks he's talking about his shoelaces, lol! I've always thought that in the "Rage and Serenity" scene in First Class (one of my favorite Cherik scenes ever), Charles was trying to draw out Erik's spiritual side, and you can see him searching for that here too, in a nice subtle way.

Am I right in guessing that Charles's "You sound like Shaw" comment made him physically sick again? Oh, the poor guy. This and his drawings are a good sign that he does a very physical/sensory memory when it comes to Shaw, just like Charles said. I'm not exactly sure if that's going anywhere, but it's a great exploration of his character by itself. The SweeTarts scene at the end did feel a bit off to me, perhaps because I never expected to see Charles getting high!

It seems that I'm now about halfway through this story, which makes me both happy and sad. I love it so much and don't want it to end, but I also can't wait to read more! I have to be shallow and say that I still hope to see these two in bed together at some point.
rebecca-in-blue chapter 11 . 4/11
I really enjoyed having a chapter from Sean's perspective. His voice comes through so strongly here, and I love all the dashes of humor in it, even as he's talking about heavy stuff like the CIA attack and Darwin's death. I also love his observations on all the other characters; he gets each of them so well, partially through his own perceptiveness and partially through what they allow him, the seemingly oblivious stoner, to observe.

Sean's thoughts about his own family vs. the others' (or rather, their lack thereof) are very poignant. The repeated mentions of what sort of man he wants to be work very well, and oh my gosh, that final scene between him and Erik. Sean having St. Michael as his confirmation saint, the prayer for protection from evil, and Erik's "I like it" and abrupt departure. I think that there is still a spiritual side to Erik that believes in prayer, and I love the subtle way you touch on that here and in a few other places. Perfect work, as always.
rebecca-in-blue chapter 10 . 4/4
This chapter gets top marks for dialogue. I love the progression here from Erik asking Charles to shoot him in the face, to Charles putting it off, then trying to compromise with the BB gun, and Erik's aggressive reaction to that. I love that, their ongoing arguments and attempts at compromise - so much of their whole relationship right there.

I have to ask, though, where would the Dick Cheney joke have gone?
Morning'sSong chapter 20 . 3/31
Alex's narration is so funny it's brilliant
Morning'sSong chapter 19 . 3/31
Oh man you had me thinking it was Emma (or whoever that diamond-mindreader person is) from when Erik said he can't read your mind. Definitely more of a build-up and greater shock value when you find out who it really is
Morning'sSong chapter 16 . 3/31
I feel as though everything you've written to this point has been in preparation for this- Charles re-living some of what Erik went through. It's incredible how you've built up the contrast between these two, and giving them the background to make their morals and actions real and believable- and now here we see the tipping point, their influence on each other. Charles isn't looking through rose-tinted glasses and trying to explain away all the bad in everyone, and Erik is willing to put aside his vengeance quest for Charles' help.
God I can't wait to see where you take this!
Morning'sSong chapter 12 . 3/31
I'm posting this review before reading this chapter just to validate your author's note
Morning'sSong chapter 10 . 3/31