Reviews for Memorium
Ciekawa Osoba chapter 1 . 3/4/2013
Disturbing and thought-provoking in equal measure.
twistyguru chapter 1 . 1/20/2013
A wonderfully morbid and twisted story, with an ambiguous ending that is extremely well done.
I did enjoy seeing things from the Muggle perspective, especially how mind-raping them and all the other shenanigans the wizards do (mostly from sheer ignorance) can wreck innocent lives beyond the ability of even magic to repair.
I'd be interested to see a follow-up, years later, when a vengeful Joanna comes back to raise complete and total hell on the wizarding world. It would take years and years to acquire the resources and build the organization, but knowing about the wizarding world she'd be able to begin looking for others whose lives were destroyed by stupid magicals.
You might even have a jaded, disgusted Harry Potter join her at some point, to drag the wizarding world into the light and impose some real accountability on it. Just a thought...
Virginia I chapter 1 . 1/6/2013
I enjoyed the story. I also enjoyed: hating to read about Stillwell's predicament.

I read Harry Potter as a young teen and the older I get the more and more do I absolutely detest the universe it takes place in. It goes from a children's story to a horror story in the end...

I'm not favoriting this because I enjoyed the story. I am farvoriting this because I hated reading it. My morals will not let me think otherwise.

Bravo.
Poet Wroet chapter 1 . 11/5/2012
Good piece of work.
Orange Spiral 62 chapter 1 . 11/2/2012
Really deep dude.
This rocks. Keep it up :)
CazPeak chapter 1 . 10/15/2012
I really liked this story... you manage to capture the sense of frustration and impotence very well, while keeping the characters trie to their respective heritages. Nicely done...
Hillmorrr chapter 1 . 9/28/2012
Very well written and I loved the plot and main character. Thanks for sharing!
The Dain chapter 1 . 8/28/2012
Outstanding. I always hate hate hate that aspect of Maskerade settings such as Harry Potter and you examined that corrupt shithole they call the Ministry of Magic quite well.

Though one thing puzzles me: How did Mrs. Bones manage to not break her Unbreakable Vow? I mean, at the very least she allowed her department to toss an innocent person into prison.
Iskadrow chapter 1 . 8/21/2012
Ah, poor Miss Stillwell. I remember how horrified I was when the full impliciations of the wide-spread and apparently completely nonchalant use of the Obliviate on non-magicals in the Potterverse first hit me. In a way I told myself a number of stories not unlike yours, all of them beginning with a somehow botched memory modification and ending with the consequences of the same - none of them pretty. After all, there's no indication the Ministry of Magic would think it necessary to observe the recepients of their charms for any adverse reactions or resulting problems. And that still puts aside the more basic ethical problem of altering someone's memories in the first place; as well as the questionable nature of a society that rests on the assumption that such a violation of another human being is completely justified and not even worth consideration on a case to case basis.

I think realizations like the above are the reason for my strange pleasure in plots that skewer the more questionable aspects of the setting as created by Mrs. Rowling, and Memorium does that beautifully and with a good amount of power. 'Strange' because it has an element of masochism: I welcome these stories as a chastisement to my younger self for being so easily charmed and made blind by pretty baubles in the form of red trains, chocolate frogs, friendly ghosts, etc. pp.

That said: Thank you for a good read ;)
AlsoKnownAsMatt chapter 1 . 8/13/2012
I just read this story and like what you've done with it, particularly with almost no "main" characters. You bring up important ethical questions though as the Minister says, how can they endanger an entire society for only one person. Even we don't do that.
Thanks for a very good and thought provoking read.
Beyogi chapter 1 . 8/5/2012
Wizards are really fucked up. I wish their bloody obliviate would come and really bite them in their ass.

Will there be a sequel?

Anyway, thank you for writing this captivating story,
Beyogi
traviswj chapter 1 . 7/30/2012
An interesting story, it had a real 'feel' to it, I don't really know how else to describe it. Great job.
Zhor chapter 1 . 7/26/2012
That spell is honestly the most horrific one in the setting. To erase and rewrite memories, changing who a person is and their very experiences, personality, sense of self...and never even knowing? That is absolute pure 'Nightmare Fuel'.
FallenStar22 chapter 1 . 6/30/2012
It was really nice to read something related to a different aspect of the wizarding world rather than the trio's lives or Hogwarts, especially as it was written so well.
duj chapter 1 . 5/19/2012
Setting aside the details that were not canon-compliant, my biggest question is how is Amelia Bones still alive at the end of this story if her Unbreakable Vow was not faked? She supposedly promised that "the Ministry would stop committing crimes themselves in order to cover up crimes committed by wizards", but every action the Ministry subsequently took, from laying false trails of evidence to plotting to imprison an innocent victim, was a crime. So not only did she fail to fulfil her Vow, I cannot find that she ever attempted to fulfil it or even believed, at time of making or after, that it was capable of fulfilment, by her or by another.

I can only suppose that Dumbledore was party to the subterfuge, since he is the person to whom the Vow was made. At the least, he must have kept in mind during the ceremony - without informing Jo - that "crimes" referred to "crimes against wizarding law" and not to those against Muggle law, and that makes him a participant in the Ministry's crimes, including their crimes against Jo and other Muggles, as is Amelia. They are not part of the solution; they *are* the problem.

(To be honest, I suspected as I read that it would be the Vow that killed Amelia and that we would find that the story Fudge told the Muggle PM in HBP about her death would turn out to be a lie. Although the Vow should really have killed her rather more quickly - unless, as I said, it was a furphy.)
104 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 .. Last Next »