Reviews for Memorium
Hillmorrr chapter 1 . 9/28/2012
Very well written and I loved the plot and main character. Thanks for sharing!
The Dain chapter 1 . 8/28/2012
Outstanding. I always hate hate hate that aspect of Maskerade settings such as Harry Potter and you examined that corrupt shithole they call the Ministry of Magic quite well.

Though one thing puzzles me: How did Mrs. Bones manage to not break her Unbreakable Vow? I mean, at the very least she allowed her department to toss an innocent person into prison.
Iskadrow chapter 1 . 8/21/2012
Ah, poor Miss Stillwell. I remember how horrified I was when the full impliciations of the wide-spread and apparently completely nonchalant use of the Obliviate on non-magicals in the Potterverse first hit me. In a way I told myself a number of stories not unlike yours, all of them beginning with a somehow botched memory modification and ending with the consequences of the same - none of them pretty. After all, there's no indication the Ministry of Magic would think it necessary to observe the recepients of their charms for any adverse reactions or resulting problems. And that still puts aside the more basic ethical problem of altering someone's memories in the first place; as well as the questionable nature of a society that rests on the assumption that such a violation of another human being is completely justified and not even worth consideration on a case to case basis.

I think realizations like the above are the reason for my strange pleasure in plots that skewer the more questionable aspects of the setting as created by Mrs. Rowling, and Memorium does that beautifully and with a good amount of power. 'Strange' because it has an element of masochism: I welcome these stories as a chastisement to my younger self for being so easily charmed and made blind by pretty baubles in the form of red trains, chocolate frogs, friendly ghosts, etc. pp.

That said: Thank you for a good read ;)
AlsoKnownAsMatt chapter 1 . 8/13/2012
I just read this story and like what you've done with it, particularly with almost no "main" characters. You bring up important ethical questions though as the Minister says, how can they endanger an entire society for only one person. Even we don't do that.
Thanks for a very good and thought provoking read.
Beyogi chapter 1 . 8/5/2012
Wizards are really fucked up. I wish their bloody obliviate would come and really bite them in their ass.

Will there be a sequel?

Anyway, thank you for writing this captivating story,
Beyogi
traviswj chapter 1 . 7/30/2012
An interesting story, it had a real 'feel' to it, I don't really know how else to describe it. Great job.
Zhor chapter 1 . 7/26/2012
That spell is honestly the most horrific one in the setting. To erase and rewrite memories, changing who a person is and their very experiences, personality, sense of self...and never even knowing? That is absolute pure 'Nightmare Fuel'.
FallenStar22 chapter 1 . 6/30/2012
It was really nice to read something related to a different aspect of the wizarding world rather than the trio's lives or Hogwarts, especially as it was written so well.
duj chapter 1 . 5/19/2012
Setting aside the details that were not canon-compliant, my biggest question is how is Amelia Bones still alive at the end of this story if her Unbreakable Vow was not faked? She supposedly promised that "the Ministry would stop committing crimes themselves in order to cover up crimes committed by wizards", but every action the Ministry subsequently took, from laying false trails of evidence to plotting to imprison an innocent victim, was a crime. So not only did she fail to fulfil her Vow, I cannot find that she ever attempted to fulfil it or even believed, at time of making or after, that it was capable of fulfilment, by her or by another.

I can only suppose that Dumbledore was party to the subterfuge, since he is the person to whom the Vow was made. At the least, he must have kept in mind during the ceremony - without informing Jo - that "crimes" referred to "crimes against wizarding law" and not to those against Muggle law, and that makes him a participant in the Ministry's crimes, including their crimes against Jo and other Muggles, as is Amelia. They are not part of the solution; they *are* the problem.

(To be honest, I suspected as I read that it would be the Vow that killed Amelia and that we would find that the story Fudge told the Muggle PM in HBP about her death would turn out to be a lie. Although the Vow should really have killed her rather more quickly - unless, as I said, it was a furphy.)
USA-Jeanette chapter 1 . 4/13/2012
Amazing story... And readily believable. The pious disregard for the sanctity of memories is apparent in cannon with the way Hermione vioates her parents and sends them off to Australia... I have always felt that her parents should have disowned her and never wanted anything to do with her... Perhaps charging her under the muggle protection act for her actions. Anyway, great story.
Murphy AT chapter 1 . 4/9/2012
Hm. Wow. Grim. Very detailed, very complex, and extremely insightful. You grasp subtle nuances of the Ministry's system that are in hindsight obvious, but until you'd brought them to light, seemed just another part of 'how it is'. The way the society is set up and their cultural norms are also brought into question in a way that makes me think myself a fool for finding their world charming. And yet, you show even then the perplexing determination of a few individuals who, though it is against cultural norm, refuse to dismiss their values simply based on who the situation involves.

Startling and brilliant. Reminds me a bit of Suzanne Collins.

Brava!
sammyfish chapter 1 . 4/7/2012
What a fascinating idea...worked into a very nice story :) Thanks for the thought-provocation!
X-elemental chapter 1 . 4/1/2012
This reminds me: Cacao/bananas/Nike boots : Real-world examples of this double-standard. Add the consideration of free-market rules where others have to match prices, and well...Truly, makes you think about how people KNOW and do nothing.
CordeliaHunter chapter 1 . 3/28/2012
I'm a bit confused about the ending - Did Dumbledore obliviate Everett? But what if Dumbledore is questioned under Veritaserum? Or did they both obliviate themselves?
Aimee1994 chapter 1 . 2/28/2012