Reviews for Memorium
peregrin chapter 1 . 7/23/2011
Great!
pazed chapter 1 . 7/21/2011
Heavy, bleak, excellent thriller; not just about fictional wizards, but a clear indictment of man's inhumanity to man when individuals or groups put their own importance and comfort above that of others. But with just that touch of individuals fighting back for their self-respect as well as they can, so one is not left feeling it's all too hopeless.

Well done, well-written.
mykyou chapter 1 . 7/19/2011
really impressive story. interesting starting point, and great development. if you were to write more on it, i'd love to read it.
Arkanrium chapter 1 . 7/19/2011
This... this is good stuff. Great point of view of the magical world for a muggle.
Immatrael chapter 1 . 7/18/2011
I love it. I've always thought that the Memory Charm was a horrible piece of mind-rape, and Wizarding Society as a whole has huge amounts of Fridge Horror, when looked at with a discerning eye. Very nice all round.
Fleetwood Mac chapter 1 . 7/18/2011
She didn't later change her last-name to Rowling by any chance, or was that just a coincidence rather than a chosen name?

Great short-story, though.
Killache chapter 1 . 7/18/2011
Wow that was damn awesome and very well done.
Meatzman2 chapter 1 . 7/18/2011
That was a brilliant one-shot. While there is no particularly good basis for a larger story, as a one-shot it is very good indeed. It works much better by not being divided into several chapters.

The last obliviate at the end was a touch of genius, well done.
mamapyjama chapter 1 . 7/17/2011
That was superb - a real thriller. Excellent building of tension and conclusion. A very honest look at what contact with wizards would mean for muggles.
sergris chapter 1 . 7/17/2011
A thought-provoking piece on muggle and wizard kind interactions. Kudos.
Murazor chapter 1 . 7/3/2011
Though not exactly perfect and twisting canon facts around for the sake of the plot (obliviation can be canonically reversed and even brute-forced to access the hidden memories, though the later appears to involve substantial risk of mental damage), the story is still an interesting exploration of some particularly unpleasant aspects of the wizarding world which Rowling largely failed to address.
Hamartian chapter 1 . 6/30/2011
This entire story was wonderful.
Dashapdv chapter 1 . 6/30/2011
I love this story. It has a good plot, characterizations, great writing and most of all - an idea that nobody used before. I hope we shall see more HP fanfics from you.
Ph34r n0 3V1L chapter 1 . 6/28/2011
I find it interesting that magical society has a real problem with mind raping each other, but not Muggles. Your story does a very good job of showing just how most mages, even Muggleborn ones, come to think of Muggles as something 'other,' just like people saw black slaves in the pre-Civil War era.

And further pondering leads to the devious use of the cultural blind spot concerning obliviation: almost all problems can be solved with Obliviate. Gilderoy had the right idea, one word erases any of your misdoings. Kill anyone, steal anything, rape, pillage, whatever, then obliviate any witnesses. No mage would think of someone running around mind erasing, which is how Lockhart got away with it for so long.

I would love to see a story where Harry starts using Obliviate as his personal tool, either pre-Hogwarts (like Riddle used wandless pain), or at the end of third year to keep Sirius free/clear his name (obliviate Pettigrew into a mindless husk rather than kill him, body as proof to get Sirius his freedom).

Thanks for another awesome story Aesop.

Cheers!
Moot-ish chapter 1 . 6/27/2011
This story was absolutely amazing. Not only was it riveting from start to finish, but the analysis on identity and obliviation really struck me.

Joanna recovered from Alan's death remarkably well, however. Even before she was obliviated, she was able to function well enough to relay what had happened.

I think there would have been grounds to include the effects of obliviation on PTSD, which she probably would have developed otherwise. Did subjugating the memories serve a psycho-therapeutic function? She seemed well-adjusted enough after she remembered the incident.

I'm not sure how you would have included that without detracting from the rest of the story, but judging by how excellent it is, you'd probably find a way if you thought it necessary. I'm not even sure it is, really. It could simply be waved away as Joanna being a particular strong individual.

Once again, excellent story.
101 | « Prev Page 1 .. 3 4 5 6 7 Next »