Reviews for A MidSummer Night's Talk
This is rather dramatic
black111star chapter 1 . 6/13/2013
sad
tinylexie chapter 1 . 6/23/2011
Oh, I love Darken Rahl and Kahlan; they are seriously my OTP of LotS. For me, Darken Rahl and Kahlan are an example of a tragic romance because Kahlan will never accept that Darken Rahl isn’t pure evil; she just can’t get her mind wrapped around the fact that Darken Rahl is actually a human being. Kahlan, you should have realized that Darken Rahl isn’t pure evil when he kept you alive and didn’t punish you for putting him down so cruelly like you did in this story. Nevertheless, I love Darken Rahl and Kahlan together because they both have darkness inside them, and they share quite a few similarities (which are not apparent on the surface but are obvious when you examine both of these characters at a deeper level).

In “Reckoning,” I truly believe that Darken Rahl had feelings for Kahlan and Nicholas, and that he so desperately wanted to have a family; but Kahlan had other ideas.

Like brontefanatic, I also can’t picture Darken Rahl crying in front of anyone (like brontefanatic pointed out, Darken Rahl does tend to be sarcastic when trying to keep people from seeing his pain), but Kahlan definitely brings out many of Darken Rahl’s vulnerabilities. If there’s anyone who could possibly put a tear in Darken Rahl’s eyes, it probably would be Kahlan who would be capable of doing that.

I like that you had Darken Rahl and Kahlan challenge each other, and I wish that we had gotten to see more of their relationship in “Reckoning.”

Also like brontefanatic, I’m always glad to see a writer who portrays Darken Rahl as a multi-dimensional character instead of a pure monster who is only capable of evil. For me, Darken Rahl is the most complex and the most interesting character on Lots, and I always appreciate writers that take the time to look at his character at a deep level.

I also hope to see more stories from you.
brontefanatic chapter 1 . 6/23/2011
It's always nice to see another person here who writes Darken Rahl as more than a one-note villain. I think he's the most interesting and conflicted character on the show.

I like how you have Kahlan prodding Darken about his motives and feelings, yet have him prod her back a little about hers.

While it's hard for me to picture Darken ever allowing himself to cry in front of Kahlan, or anyone for that matter, this was very interesting. I always imagine him covering any pain with sarcasm. I do, however, think he really cared for Kahlan and for Nicholas - he's just so self-protective that it's hard to get past those walls.

I hope you'll be posting more stories here.