Reviews for The Shapes of Our Souls
Nate The Ape chapter 1 . 10/27/2012
A very nice analysis of how the mental/emotional strain and effects of the war are being reflected in the daemons of each Animorph, and not always for the better.

I like the idea of how, kind of like the Holy Trinity, Rachel, Abineng, and the cat's mind all meld into one whole. "It didn't feel so incredible when we were in a cage and about to be hauled in front of Visser Three." You have no idea how much I laughed at that line!

OMG, that is so cool that you gave Chapman a gladiator for a daemon! (Personally, I prefer the alternative name of heelwalker.) I love it when people put obscure animals into a story! The part where their own daemons desperately went after them was kinda inspiring, but was mostly a real mindf**k and made me go "ewww."

Interesting how Merlyse is taking on desert-adapted creatures for forms now. Coyotes and ibex rawk! A reflection of how Jake may be becoming a John Wayne/Zorro/Lone Ranger type, cunning, tough, and fearless? Poor Tobias.

What can I say, I adore Ax on a level beyond my ability to express, and you did him justice here. It is obvious that you put a lot of thought into how daemons would fit into modern civilization, as well as what an extraterrestial species would think of them, and all I can say is well done! I liked how the Animorphs were kinda freaked by Ax NOT having a daemon when in human morph, and how Tobias offered to be his own-meaning that he'll get to spend a lot more time in the human world than he did in the books.

I freaking LOVE Diamanta, love snakes, and love Marco, so that part was awesome! The name of Peter's daemon is one of the most beautiful I've ever seen, and I love that she's a cuttlefish! It suits him very well. He must have quite the physique from carrying her tank around all the time. The part where Marco saw her begin to display color again was so touching.

Interesting that Cassie is a sketch artist here. As usual, she understands her comrades on a level even they often don't, and Quincy is just cute. Interesting how Diamanta sometimes becomes a venomous snake when Marco's mind is elsewhere. A subtle, chilling reminder of how, like with Sokka from Avatar, there's an unexpected, terribly savage part of Marco underneath that gaiety. That last line was just haunting.
bergheimat chapter 1 . 10/14/2012
Nice crossover! I like how you use the Animorphs canon logic of Z Space to explain where the daemons go, and I like Ax's perspective.
Qoheleth chapter 1 . 9/9/2012
Dear Bird:

Now this is what crossovers - and ff itself, really - are all about. Inserting sheer otherness into a familiar fantasy world, and making it seem not merely natural, but weirdly beautiful. Bravissimo, Uccello di Poesia.

Sincerely,