Reviews for Griffy's Journey
AmazingNitpicker chapter 1 . 2/26
When Applebloom introduces Griff, she speaks in a sort of stilted, unnatural way that no real people ever speak in. This struck me as just bad writing and nothing more, until I saw the scene where Griff eats a mouse. In that scene, two things are established;

- Griff kills and eats his fellow sapient beings with the nonchalance of a guy grabbing a Coke off a store shelf, a sharp contrast to the vegetarian society of Equestria. This actually foreshadows his eventually revealed past, along with his views on life, pretty well. (Of course, it's possible that mice are not sapient in this story, but I can only assume they are based on the show itself.)

- The CMC are /scared/ of Griff.

This explains not only Applebloom's stilted introduction (since she's choosing her words carefully out of fear of angering Griff), but also Scootaloo's hostility towards Griff. In the eyes of herbivores, Griff is a monster. They stay near this abominable being that challenges all they hold dear and kills their fellow man in front of them because they fear he'll come after /them/ if they upset him. To be in the presence of a monster, trapped in place by the fear of provoking its wrath.

And yet, their fear is mixed with amazement. We fear the lion, and yet we admire its grace when it hunts. We abhor violence and murder, yet we appreciate the choreography of battle in fiction. It is a strange dichotomy, and one that is portrayed in the behaviour of the CMC rather well. The morbid fascination of being in the presence of Equestria's answer to Hannibal Lecter... chilling.

In addition, Griff sees nothing wrong with his way of life. He was raised into thinking that there is nothing wrong with eating other sapient beings that walk this land. When one is raised into something, when one is surrounded by something since birth and absorbing influences from it, it greatly affects one's mind forever. It raises a gruesome quandary... if /you/ would've been raised in a land of cannibals, would you be Griff? Eating those weaker than you like others eat apples, and confused when told it's wrong?

Maybe he knows. Maybe comedy is Griff's way of coping with the pangs of conscience. Maybe he staves off the despair of being mentally /broken/ by telling jokes about rainbow blurs in the sky.

Then again, maybe not. Maybe Griff is the true /villain/ of this story, the Hannibal who eats the flesh of the lesser without hesitation or resistance and embraces the evil he wreaks as he wipes his mouth clean of the blood of a family member and laughs at the grief of the families he leaves behind. Maybe the reason he's capable of functioning is because he knows he's evil, /and he loves every second of it./

All in all, a thought-provoking first chapter.
shadowrocks100 chapter 1 . 7/13/2014
love your oc
Youseff chapter 2 . 7/18/2013
I have to admit,I love Griffy but this chapter barely kept my attention at all
Jamie chapter 1 . 7/18/2013
Wow this is extremely bad sorry.
WyldClaw chapter 1 . 11/30/2012
griffy's back story is sad
NobodieZ chapter 16 . 2/25/2012
Nice.
NobodieZ chapter 7 . 2/25/2012
Good work.
NobodieZ chapter 6 . 2/25/2012
Oh boy. Can Griffy get out of this?
NobodieZ chapter 5 . 2/25/2012