Reviews for See You on the Flip Side
ladymirth chapter 4 . 8/16/2012
Oh, I love this! Sex and Candy was the perfect, self-denying, aggressive, push-pull, reluctantly tender, hit-em-where-it-hurts-and-then-comfort Spuffy. The sex was rather too verbose in the first story to be as toe-curling as it could have been, but you nailed it in this story. Oooh, the Pink Floyd song was the perfect choice...I had to stop reading and drink a glass of water so I could continue at one point.

Much as I love hopelessly-in-love-with-Buffy!Spike I always felt cheated that we didn't see any real build up to it, except for the incredible sexual chemistry between SMG and JM, especially in that Faith-in-Buffy's-body come-on scene (I replay that scene multiple times just to see James Marsters' "incapacitated with lust" face). I'd much rather both Spike and Buffy fell in love/ lust with each other at the same time, snarling at each other and fighting it tooth and nail all the way. It's just so hot that way. And that is exactly what you deliver!

Prior to letting himself get beat up by a hell god for Buffy's sake (and well, Fool for Love, because who in the world wouldn't love that episode?) , I was not a Spuffy shipper. I loved Season 4 Spike, but Season 5 Spike actually creeped me out more than anything - stalking her, sniffing and stealing her clothes, chaining her up and threatening to feed her to his ex, getting Harmony to role-play as Buffy, building a freaking SEX BOT, ugh ugh ugh. I honestly couldn't find any of that the least hot and was beginning to get put off by the character. I think what changed my mind was "I know I'm a monster but you treat me like a man" and then seeing him cry when Buffy died. I was firmly in camp Spuffy after that, but I had to block out quite a bit of Season 5 to do it.

I enjoy the dynamic between Spike and Buffy in your story much more for this reason. Suddenly, the clothes-sniffing thing isn't creepy and since both Spike and Buffy are struggling with their lust and confusion of feelings for each other concurrently, there's no imbalance of power in their relationship, which I thought was especially damaging to both characters in Season 5 and 6. You consistently keep Spike bad and brassy and poised in that intriguing knife-edge between beast and man, without letting the character devolve into a pathetic fangless creep trying to get into a girl's pants.

I really like your "reflection of each other" analogy too, although I would have preferred it if neither of them had spoken it aloud but kept it on the edge of consciousness (Neither Spike nor Buffy have ever struck me as the most self-aware of people, which is a contributing factor to the tumult of miscommunication in their relationship). Rhonda Wilcox has written an essay where she says Spike and Faith
are Buffy's "shadow selves", which is along the same lines of thought. (See this brilliant video that led me to it: watch?vc8CZc6sKb0A&listFLhRqSFoNjSdIMvZOkxK771w &index1&featureplpp_video)

I would be squicked by the infidelity though, but I think the hot Spuffy sex has short-circuited my brain cells and now I don't care. Really appreciate how you don't short-change Riley though. Not his fault that he's addled with love for a girl who doesn't want him and won't send him away either.
Margot-Eve chapter 4 . 5/12/2012
Short I admit, but well written. Love this!
SuperCali chapter 4 . 5/10/2012
I did enjoy it! Much love!
PeaceHeather chapter 4 . 5/10/2012
Absolutely lovely.
Edward Cullen brings sexy back chapter 4 . 5/8/2012
so good! u really know these characters! gets me every time. MORE
Edward Cullen brings sexy back chapter 3 . 5/8/2012
Except 4 the cheating yay!
Edward Cullen brings sexy back chapter 2 . 5/7/2012
So great! Have u considered writing a novel
Edward Cullen brings sexy back chapter 1 . 5/7/2012
OMG YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! SOOOOOOOOOOOOO GOOD!
ginar369 chapter 4 . 4/20/2012
Again Riley doesn't get it. He wants to be there for her and her family is secondary. But that's just it, what she needed from him was to help her be strong right then. She needed someone to sit with Dawn to distract her kid sis. And he resents her for it. She is trying not to break down in front of her family. It wouldn't help them. It would put a burden on her mother and make her feel worse. It would scare the crap out of Dawn and that is not what they needed. They needed to be strong, to pretend that it wasn't as bad as it seemed if only for a little while and he doesn't get that. He wanted to comfort the hysterical sobbing woman to make himself feel manly and she wouldn't give it to him.

Spike doesn't expect anything from her. If she wanted to scream and yell and destroy things he would have been all for it. If she wanted to sit and sob he would hold her. He let her be what she wanted.
ginar369 chapter 3 . 4/20/2012
The sex as always is hot as hell. But I think when their alone like this they actually tell each other the truth. They had to let all their barriers down to do the deed and the truth just comes out. Lying to each other while your having sex isn't very easy.

Riley really can't just be there for her. I swear he offered her the night off with no worries and for her to just relax. So why in the hell is he calling and calling her at 2 or 3 in the morning? Because he wants to check on the little woman. I would have been so pissed at him.
ginar369 chapter 2 . 4/20/2012
She wanted someone to comfort her that would make her feel helpless. That isn't something she can get from Riley. For all his talk about respecting women and even taking orders from women he doesn't think their strong. It might have a lot to do with how he was raised but it also has to do with the military. They patrol in groups, so even if there was a woman with them she could never really show her strength alone there were always others with them. Spike on the other hand has always respected women and especially slayers. He knows their strengths and admires them for it that's why he likes fighting them. The fights can go either way.

I know why the Council would say that all vamps are mindless killers, it wouldn't do to have their slayers wondering about the morals of the vamps they go out to stake. It could get them killed. So Giles taught her the same line of BS, Angelus' actions just confirmed it to Buffy. But then Spike comes along and the books get thrown out. He isn't mindless, he cares for others, granted only ones that he wants to but still he can care. Plus he didn't slaughter his family just because he was turned, he tried to save his mother. He did have the best intentions, he still loved her after he was turned. It's true you would do pretty much anything to save the person you love, especially your mother if you really loved her and he did just like Buffy loves Joyce.
ginar369 chapter 1 . 4/20/2012
When Buffy is angry she always lashes out either with her fists or words and usually at Spike. I never saw his defeat of the other slayers as murder. It was a fair fight both times and it could have gone either way. And he was right, you get tired of the constant struggle, the endless nights of fighting after a few years peace, death starts to look more and more appealing.

I can understand why she never called Riley when she found out about Joyce being sick. He would have actually taken pleasure in seeing her cry. He wanted her to be weak and needy. I never thought he honestly deep down liked it that she was so strong inside and out. Sure he might have said he loved the slayer part of her but he always complained that she didn't need him. That showed that he really didn't understand. The slayer part of her made her strong, made her un-needy for the most part. A slayer can't fall apart at every little thing or she'd be dead in a day of being called. Riley didn't get that, he still looked at her like she was just a normal girl who was just really strong.
Premise Oh Sum chapter 4 . 3/22/2012
Awww that was nicely done!

Sweet-T3 chapter 3 . 1/4/2012
Just finiished reading Sex & Candy and See you on The Flip Side, AGAIN. And I gotta tell you it's just as good as the first time I read it! Love the AU spin, and as always, seems so plausible in context of canon. hell we could delete a few canon episodes and put your stories in and we would have a better story arc! But I repeat myself ;). It was fabulous, fantastic fun reading. Moving on to part three of the trilogy. Oh goodie!
MMWillow13 chapter 4 . 11/28/2011
These first two in the series have been great! I'm looking forward to reading the rest. It always irked me too that no one but, Spike and Tara recognized Buffy in Faith's body. I mean come on it took Buffy making direct eye contact with Giles in the demon form, but she recognized him.
45 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 Next »