Reviews for The Legend of Link: The Hero of Light
mcjamesloon chapter 7 . 6/2/2014
This is Amazing beyond all proportions! This needs to be continued! You have no idea how cool it is to replay a game in the mind of not only one but all the characters and in much greater depth than I could ever have imagined. I strongly urge you to continue on in your writings for this is the best work I have ever seen.

I urge you to continue,
Jamesloon
silverhawk88 chapter 7 . 12/16/2012
This is an awesome story! I hope u update the sequel and prequel soon!
Long-time reader chapter 7 . 8/3/2012
I am SO GLAD to see you back, Gargravarr! Loved this new chapter, can't wait for more to come. It's hard to describe, what you add to the story. Hard to describe, but wonderful.
Mazzax chapter 7 . 7/24/2012
Really great chapter! I've always wondered why Midna never tries to use the sword/shield combo later after seeing how Link uses them. I mean, I realize that it would be a pain if she stayed on Link's back in Wolf form, but perhaps if she floated around or used her hair-hand for the sword it would work out?
Eon Penumbra chapter 7 . 7/20/2012
Excellent as always, Rob. Well done, though I was wondering what had happened when you never replied to my last review. Meh, it happens.

My offer to beta this story (and Scars of Time as well, if you'd like) still stands, by the way.

Now, as for the chapter itself... I'm glad you went ahead and fleshed out just why Link is willing to take so much crap from Midna, and why Midna is willing to keep him around despite her derision of his intelligence and/or skills. You were right, it did drag at times, but it was necessary and it added to an interpretation that most authors don't consider between the pair of them. A bit more humor might've been welcome and helped the pacing a bit (such as Link finding Midna's wearing of the shield on her face amusing or something, he mainly just acted like he'd been slapped), but it had enough amusing bits as it was, and the pace was well within the acceptable boundaries for the story.

The creative license with the first lesson from the Hero's Shade was actually well done as well. You could've shown the "combat" lesson between the two, as well as some of Link's hesitation with running his teacher through, but it was still a nice change that fit into "Kokau's" character that you established in Heroes of Time, so I give it no less than a B for its execution.

Now... for the criticisms. First, Link should know what Bokoblins are when he fights them (instead of refering to them as "goblin-like creatures"). He's been in the Faron Woods prior to the Twilight incident with Rusl, and he's probably seen a few of them before. Rusl would've told him what they were called. In fact, in keeping with what I said from last chapter, he should know most of the basic monster types around Hyrule; Rusl wouldn't teach him how to fight with a sword without giving him an idea of what he might end up fighting.

Second, the fact that you make Bokoblins marginally intelligent fighters (i.e. taking advantages of openings in Link's guard and exploiting his messy shield technique) really rubs me the wrong way. In Twilight Princess, Bokoblins are flat-out stupid. They don't use any tactics, and are really only a threat in large groups, even for an inexperienced player. Even established Zelda resource sites (Zelda Wiki, Zelda Dungeon) agree that they're far less intelligent in Twilight Princess than in any other game. Now, I realize that this is a fanfic and creative license is a factor, but if you're having the weakest version of basic enemies in the games be a threat to Link in two-on-one or even one-on-one combat, you have a problem. He should have some basic difficulty due to having to adapt to shifting back to a person, and with learning how to use his shield, but he shouldn't have had his limbs broken twice in the span of a single chapter by complete joke enemies.

Also, I know that Link's Triforce of Courage grants him healing in this, but the second break wasn't really necessary to that degree; a lesser injury would've worked just as well without making the Bokoblins seem dangerous to Link.

So, in summary: You've still got it and I enjoyed this chaper, but you need to polish up on the technicalities again, or at least get a beta reader to help you with that.
Guest chapter 7 . 7/19/2012
Ah, good to see you back. No worries, everyone needs a hiatus at some point. We're just glad the story isn't dead.
Best Regards, CracktheSkye
Matti2894 chapter 7 . 7/18/2012
Hey, Matti here again. I don't know why, but my account was logged out when I posted my review, which was totally weird considering it looked I was logged in. Ah well! Anyway, just writing in the review section in case you want to send a reply to it because I didn't want you think I deleted my FFN account. So, yeah. See ya!
Guest chapter 7 . 7/18/2012
Hey Gargarvarr! Matti here! How's life been for you?

It's great to see you've updated after such a long time. I honestly thought I wouldn't see another chapter of this fanfic, but here it is. I'm glad you've finally overcome your writer's block. I missed these updates!

To be honest, I've been kind of interested in other fandoms, and haven't looked at many Zelda fics as of late, but I haven't given up reading your fics! This chapter, like the others, has kept me interested. I'm loving your interpretations of both Link and Midna, and how somehow you've still managed to keep them in character. I hope to see you develop their relationsnip and characteristics well in future chapters.

The only thing I have to complain about in this chapter was the lack of dialogue. Some parts in the chapter, especially the "cutscenes," really needed it. It kind of made the interaction between Link and Midna boring. That's basically the only thing I think you can improve on in the next chapter.

Anyway, I'm glad this story is back in action, and I hope you'll find the inspiration to continue Scars as well. Take as much time as you need. If there's one thing I've learned, it's that great works aren't rushed out the door, and this is definitely no exception. I'm looking forward seeing your interpretation Twilight Princess unfold in future chapters!

- Matti
Farli30519 chapter 6 . 2/20/2012
I like what you are doing with this story. I can't wait to see what happens next.
david davidson chapter 6 . 1/11/2012
i'm really loving this fic so far. having played twilight princess everything seems so new, and yet so familiar. i'm looking forward to seeing how this fic fills out and how relationships will develop and how you will explain many things the game left unexplained.

also i read heroes and it was long and kickass, but didn't wish to post a review as i don't have much to say besides the fact it is awesome.

best of luck with every story you wish to write or continue to write, and i hope you continue to update this fic. it's turning out great!
TormTrooper chapter 1 . 11/6/2011
Never got around to reviewing, And I keep bombarding you, sorry for that but it's your CHOICE TO READ MY REVIEWS MUHA-before I start on that I really am thankful for you finding the time to, now where was I? Oh yes, MUHAAHAHAHAHAH-cough cough- ow... Anyways Havn't read the entire thing yet as I made my accoutn after reading your 4th chapter, went to Pm you, found out I couldnt for 24 hours, and raged for a minute before unconsiousness sturck me down before I could review. In all honesty most say focus on Scars, I say Screw the rules I have Mone-dang references always slipping in to my reviews(Tell me if you know where it's from :P) I ment to say, YES WE KNOW WHAT HAPPENED BUT DID YOU EVER CONSIDER THE POTENTIAL STORY AND POWER LAYED BENEATH THE UNTOLD EMOTIONS DEMONSTRATED IN THE GAME? Seriously, I can understand if they don't like it but they shouldn't just deem this unworthy without reading more then the first 2 chapters, I mean in essence it's a fun and delightful way for A: You to get back into the groove of writing like your old self before being transformed by the Twilight Portal of Reality and disaster,(behind the fun and games I do understand what your going through as the same thing happened to my parents recently albiet im about 6 years your younger, but I pride myself in reading college level material TEHEHEHEEHE EGO STROKE FOR THE WIN!) And I must say you raise great philoshical points as well in all installments of this series, and if I may add a quote some may use one day. "All stories have three parts, a Beggining, a Middle, and an End. But they are all told the same way, which I find boring, so instead, we start our tale in the Middle then the Beggining and finally the End"-Me. Anywho, I'm sorry to bombard you again, but I must say you do provide thoughts many did not realize or think about as they played the game, that you showed them. I will stop for now as I must switch computers to my Laptop in mt room, and also not to overwhelm you. (Seriously WHY AM I CURSED IN WRITING SO LONG REVIEWS ON OTHERS IN A FEW MINUTES WHEN IT TAKES ME FORVER TO WRITE A 900 WORD ESSAY OR STORY THAT OTHERS WANT! I would stop averagine about 2000 characters per PM/Review but everyone needs their Midna to annoy, prod, and put in sarcastic remarks while your fighting for your life with mini-bosses and trying not to shoot yourself during a puzzle :D- Again Bob, OR IS IT?
Galdr chapter 6 . 10/12/2011
Read all 6 chapters now. I really like how you portray this in first person. You're capturing the emotions of the characters, from expression from how the game itself portrays it, very nicely. I am impressed and I love it so far.

This is going to turn out wonderful as it goes on, especially after Lakebed Temple. (it's one of my favorite parts in the game) Anyway, I'm going to follow this story of yours because I am interested and I do like reading it. Update when you can!
Eon Penumbra chapter 6 . 10/10/2011
Me again. I'm finally available to accept Beta requests, btw.

Now then, let's see...

When Midna is musing over Link's wolf attributes, she forgets to mention his enhanced senses, which play a major part in the game anyway, and are a defenite benefit in combat. If you can't see your foe, sniff them out.

Doesn't Link know what Bulblins are? You'd think that, as a member of a remote farming community that has to fend for itself, and as Rusl's pupil, he'd at least know the basic types of monsters that are common around Hyrule.

Ah-ha! Your first canon-keeping mistake!

Link mentions at one point in Heroes of Time that when he first became a wolf and came back to Ordon, he wanted nothing more than to curl up at Uli and Rusl's feet, and instead Rusl either attacked him or chased him off. This doesn't happen here.

...actually, getting to Chapter 6 without a single detail-forged mistake is impressive.

"Creatures", not "creates" when Midna is musing about the benefits of Link tackling the temple as a human.

Outside of that, I really can't find anything to comment on. Your writing itself is flawless, as usual, and you covered the plot details well without covering the pointless details. Although I think it would've been funny to hear Midna's reaction to Link getting the shield. "How's he going to..." *Link starts headbutting wall* "Well... that's one way to do it... and I thought he already /had/ brain damage..."
NinjaSheik chapter 6 . 10/10/2011
COOL~! IT'S GOING ALONG NICELY! UPDATE SOON~!
Matti2894 chapter 6 . 10/9/2011
Another great chapter! As always, I look forward to the next!

By the way, just for the sake of continuity (and a wee bit of a nit pick on my part), Hanch is the one who attacks Link with the hawk, not Jaggle. I remember because I just played through that part of Twilight Princess the other day. LOL, weird timing!y