Reviews for Winter
Elennare chapter 1 . 6/18/2013
Lovely fic :) You've got the characterizations spot-on - Dick is precise about how far they went onto the ice, Roger the cheeky younger brother, Susan with the tea - and John and Nancy, of course!

I like the descriptions of Nancy's clothes, with the torn stockings. Girls' winter clothes are probably warmer than boys', now I think of it - the boys seem to have bare legs between their shorts and socks in the illustrations, they must have been freezing!

You show John's confusion about his barely understood feelings very well; I like how he notices the change in Nancy after her illness.

"He looks down at her. One eye is open, looking at him, glinting dangerously, daring him to say anything.
(...)
Gently, moving very slowly, John puts his arm around her, and feels once more the warmth of her body close to his. She's asleep, after all, and she'll never know."

These are probably my favourite lines :) Especially the first one, with its hint that Nancy's feelings are changing too, though she'd die (or actually, keelhaul any questioner!) before admitting it.
Guest chapter 1 . 2/14/2013
that is so sweet please carry on, you won't believe how hard it is to find a good author for swallows and amazons, let alone john and nancy! this is a really cute story very well written as well, I should know I'm an editor, please keep writing!
jen4850 chapter 1 . 1/20/2013
Nicely done
constantlearner chapter 1 . 11/4/2012
I really enjoyed this and the sense of tiny, tiny gestures and nuances being observed.
Fergus Mason chapter 1 . 4/28/2012
Well done, I loved this.

I wonder how Ransome would feel to know that decades later people are shipping his characters? I hope he'd be pleased. Personally I've wanted to see John/Nancy since I was about ten, and that was a while ago!
thethingthathasnoname chapter 1 . 2/17/2012
This is really good and there are hardly any nancy/John fanfics so I'm really glad you wrote this one. I think it captures the characters perfectly. Plz write more of these.
thethingthathasnoname chapter 1 . 2/17/2012
Aebbe chapter 1 . 12/28/2011
I loved this! I loved how you fitted it into the timeline of the books, but gave us the little moments and thoughts that Ransome would never have included, as he was writing kids' books not romances. They were teenagers, so of course they were starting to have teenage feelings and hormones. And John/Nancy is one of my favourite couples.

I really enjoyed the beginning bit as well. They were all really in character, especially Roger, who always makes me laugh. And I liked the little hint of Susan watching him, almost as if she might have guessed something...

The dynamic between John and Nancy was really well done, I think. They are still children, and nothing is said or done - it's all just little looks and touches, coming from a strong and deep friendship. And this was one of my favourite lines: "One eye is open, looking at him, glinting dangerously, daring him to say anything." A small moment, and very subtle (which is why it was so good) but I felt it caught Nancy perfectly - of the two of them, whatever her feelings really were, she would be the one who resisted them, and didn't want to grow up.

Great job!
RBoo chapter 1 . 6/29/2011
Enjoyed this. But does feel like you stopped when you just got going - the latter part for me is better written and it felt abrupt when it ended was just getting into reading it. Good stuff.