Reviews for A Defense for Sirius Black
ziva10 chapter 1 . 1/21/2013
THANK YOU it bothers me sooo much i mean its one thing if they make him flirty but come on hes not a man slut so thank you for taking a stand
Kingsdaughter613 chapter 1 . 6/14/2012
Good points all of it. I think I have found one or two, but most of those took place post Azkaban with some flashbacks. Can't think of a specific one right now though...

Could you also mention that just because the purebloods we meet are fanatics does NOT mean that their very traditional society is inherently evil? Or that marrying only members of your society is wrong? Because people keep comparing purebloods to Nazis... and their society is actually closer to that of the Jews and Gypsies the Nazis tried to kill out. What's with all the stupid anti-minority, anti-traditional societies dogma in HP fics? Oh, and inbreeding does NOT cause stupidity, raises the chance of a genetic disease by only 2% over hundreds of years and even then only if you consistently marry your first cousin (which, despite what the idiots on this site think, is not incest.) Distant relations don't count. I am just so sick of seeing people making antisemitic, anti-minority comments out of sheer stupidity and ignorance...

Sorry for subjecting you to my rant. I guess your defense brought it all out... Great job on defending Sirius, BTW!
snow.white.ice chapter 1 . 7/23/2011
I'm glad I read this and appreciate your passion for keeping characters canon (yes I have definitely come across many out-of-character Sirius's and cringed every time)

I guess if people are using this site as a place to practice their ability to develop characters, people should at least be courteous enough to give an honest review so that said author could grow and learn from their previous writing. :)
Lydia Asher chapter 1 . 7/2/2011
I have to say I'm very tired of Sirius being portrayed as the wizard equivalent of Charlie Sheen. I've looked back at the books to try and find some basis for it, and it's just not there. I think there is such scant information about some characters that writers take the smallest thing and build on it. Sirius is good looking and girls notice him, turns into Sirius is a womanizing sex god. It does make the canon compliant stories of Sirius such rare treasures, although I admit I dont object to messing with canon enough to have him survive the Department of Mysteries.
Me chapter 1 . 7/1/2011
Sorry, I forgot to put in the author of "Distruction where you stand" when I was writing my earlier review. It's auberus11.

While I'm here, I agree with JessicaScrittore. Please paragraph.

I understand that it is a rant, but is reading it through and putting in paragraphs so hard? More people would read it too - one huge chunk of text is a bit intimidating.

I won't reiterate what I said yesterday, but think of it as implied. I agree.

Me.
jasminee1403 chapter 1 . 6/30/2011
I agree with you completely.

please paragraph though
Me chapter 1 . 6/30/2011
Hear! Hear!

You have hit on the heart of the matter concerning the falsehoods surrounding the character of Sirius Black. I firmly believe that his common manner of portyal is degrading to the character and the inteligence of the reader, rediculus, and at times downright stupid.

Do they honestly expect us to believe he was like that?

If you are looking for a quality pre-Azkaban Sirius fanfic, I would direct you to two of my favourites, "Distruction where you stand" and "The things that make you different" by shyangell. Or if you want a slightly different style, "Madman" by K. East or "Table Manners" by aohatsu. Or for a marauders story, "The Game's Afoot" by Fox Murphy. All brilliant, realistic stories.

But yes, I definatly agree with you. The average fanfiction characterization of Sirius doesn't really bear thinking about.

Me.
PurplePumpkin12 chapter 1 . 6/29/2011
3 this! i agree! I agree! I agree!
ChaosHasCome chapter 1 . 6/29/2011
You make an excellent point. Sirius' character is often times abused. JKR hardly hints at Sirius sleeping around and being a womanizer. Quite the opposite in fact. You point out his loyalty to those he loves; wouldn't that suggest more permanent relationships? As someone who has taken gross liberties with Sirius' personality in my very early writing, I'm apalled by how cliche people have made his character. I'm glad you took the initiative and spoke up. Marauder era fanfictions were my favorite to read but they all stereotype every character. Authors either overanalyze JKR's description of a character or they completely disregard it. I understand your point completely. And I agree. Label a story as AU if that is what is. Not everyone is fond of that sort of fanfiction. If you would like a completely loyal character who sleeps around and is dumber than a rock, then by all means, create one. Write your own story, don't ruin Harry Potter.