Reviews for Annie's Attempt
JL82 chapter 1 . 11/27/2013
I was surprised...this was about the first letter Annie wrote. I was thinking it was going to be about the letters Annie was writing once they there both at college, that Liza wasn't responding to.

You really delved into what Annie saw in Liza and how part of her feelings was "a good kind of ache." That's something that I think there isn't enough of in the original story from Liza's point of view. We see so much of the angst; I had hoped for more of the "good kind of ache." I didn't feel there was enough of them being happy being in love. And the original story makes me really understand why Liza found Annie "fascinating" and "magical." But I don't think I understood quite as well what it was about Liza that made Annie fall so obsessively in love with her. I thought Liza was a more serious type and wasn't sure she was a perfect match for Annie's playfulness. Here, you make me see why she is.

And obviously, Annie was already farther along in the "coming out" process, and more willing to accept the relationship. She pursued Liza, and was obviously hurt by Liza's hesitation. I sometimes felt frustrated with Liza for that - I felt like she should value Annie more than being normal, if that makes any sense. The worst thing was Liza not answering Annie's letters for a whole semester. Advice columnists tell you, if somebody does that to you, they've dumped you. I would have understood better if Liza wanted to "take a break" from the relationship right after the trauma of the trial. But right after the trial she stands up to Sally about how it's NOT sickness, it's love. She sounds like she's not about to let the homophobes intimidate her...and then, several months later, in college, she "can't" write to Annie? I just didn't get that.
Guest chapter 1 . 10/26/2012
Nice, I can believe it happened this way.
It'sbeautiful
ElectraPendulum chapter 1 . 6/30/2011
This is so amazing. I just finished Annie on my Mind a few minutes ago, and I have to say that you've caught Annie's personality perfectly. It's so accurate that I feel as though these are the letters that Annie wrote to Liza before finally writing the fifth one. It's so real and so simple, yet still so perfect. Fantastic job. :)