Reviews for Ascension
Crow's Talon chapter 1 . 12/31/2013
I love this story! As usual, you have an awesome grip on Crane as a character and you have absolutely nailed him. I always imagined that the creation of the Scarecrow persona would be a deeply intimate moment for him, and you got that across very well here. I especially liked the ending, where he surveys the world from behind the Scarecrow mask for the first time and he feels it enter him. You also got across all of his thoughts and emotions excellently, from worry to excitement. Your description is great - I especially liked the comparison of the scraps to puzzle pieces. I

All in all, you did an excellent job with a moment which is very important to Crane. I really enjoyed this piece. Great work!
KrnYong chapter 1 . 5/8/2013
It is wonderfully chilling to witness the birth of Scarecrow. He's another entity altogether from Jonathan, and the way you wrote the making of the mask and the voice in Jonathan's head was very good. Bravo
Lymixan chapter 1 . 11/9/2012
Oh, ain't this delicious..?
"Tonight is the end of Gotham. Scarecrow smiles."
By the end of the story, so was I.
Spar Izawesome chapter 1 . 9/21/2012
I have a question. Does Crane have multiple personalities? Just curious.

Love it.
shadowsteed chapter 1 . 9/13/2012
I love this short, but exciting story. :-) The creation of Scarecrow is always fascinating topic to write about. And I really love your all stories, you really must understand C.M. version pretty well, because I can easily imagine all the things you have written. Although in my mind, I mostly imagine Scarecrow as a combination between C.M. version and Batman: Arkham Asylum version, after all, we never see Scarecrow's real face in the game. :-D
Zeny chapter 1 . 8/14/2012
Great job! I love your stories!
m.michele chapter 1 . 8/8/2012
I feel funny because as I was sewing my own practice-Scarecrow mask today, I was thinking how fun it would be to write a piece about making the mask. What you've got here is really brilliant, I love it.
That70schick09 chapter 1 . 7/29/2012
So intensly amazing!
LunaMarr chapter 1 . 7/14/2012
That is AMAZING. Hats of to you good sir/miss! Your writing is fantastic.
TrumpCardVoodoo chapter 1 . 1/23/2012
LOVEITLOVEITLOVEITLOVEIT!

Absolutely effing LOVE IT!

Also, Crane forgot a VERY important part of his mask: the rebreather built into the nose/mouth area! How else is he going to escape the effects of the fear toxins he uses?

Also (sorry if I toot my own horn) I'd like to reveal that I am planning to write my own treatment of Batman sometime in the near future (THERE WILL BE CLOWNS . . . AND SCARECROWS, TOO. Well, at least one. The BEST one), so if you're interested, feel free to check back sometime on my account!

If you aren't, then sorry to bother you.
Crimson Fade chapter 1 . 6/30/2011
I love how this is written. It's so real and so very much like Jonathan. I'm kinda sad that we never really see, in any of Nolan's films, the creation of the villains, as we do in, say, Tim Burton's "Batman".
Lexical Item chapter 1 . 6/30/2011
This piece has atmosphere and a lovely tone. Part of this is the clever formatting. The isolated sentences contribute to the tension. The technique itself comes with a danger of over-dramatisation, but you’ve handled it well. Having these sentences interspersed with Scarecrow’s comments makes it particularly effective. Mostly Scarecrow’s interruptions are good, just as stylistic devices. However, his comment about not needing to be careful and not trying to look pretty was apt in itself. It felt like Scarecrow’s voice.

Your use of language is also pretty good. A lot of your verb choices are particularly strong. Words like ‘seep’ and ‘cradles’ just work so well in context. However, your descriptions suffer from awkward sentence construction. You have an overabundance of commas and semicolons that string your sentences out too far. Consequently, your descriptions lose impact. It also interrupts the flow of your writing. You have shorter punchier sentences for contrast, which is good, but the really long sentences detract from your writing.

Finally, present tense was an interesting choice. I think it worked well in the context. It made the story more immediate and heightened the sense of tension. Overall this story works well as descriptive piece of character exploration.
TattyBogle chapter 1 . 6/30/2011
I love all your fics (Not at all because I'm a Scarecrow lover or anything! :P) but I especially like this one :3 It makes me feel sympathy for him somehow.