Reviews for Lakeside Conversations
Iceheart15 chapter 1 . 9/23/2017
The contrasts and the parodies in this were great. I love the idea of Nimueh and Merlin, despite being so different from each other (in age, experience, knowledge, positions, etc.), of having this baser understanding that comes from them both being creatures of magic. I like to think that in the 'poisoned chalice' that part of the reason Merlin was so drawn to her wasn't just because she was a beautiful woman, but because some primal part of him sensed who she was. They would have been so amazing together. Of all the Merlin villains, Nimueh was one I truly respected, mainly because she could have been reasoned with and was capable of seeing the bigger picture.
Danterevan chapter 1 . 12/17/2012
liked it very cute pair they would have made

D
Rebecca chapter 1 . 6/13/2012
Wow, I really like this story, especially the concept. I had never thought of Nimueh and Merlin interacting much, but it does make sense that the most powerful sorcerer in Albion and the high priestess of the old religion would understand each other. And the setting and writing style are very nice. My only suggestion would be to give it a once over for typos.
Eidolon02 chapter 1 . 7/29/2011
I am in love.

No, really, I'm totally smitten with this fic.

To be honest, it's been ages since I truly shipped Merlueh, (?) but you may have just reignited that spark in me. This may just be the best fic I've ever read for these two; it's everything I've ever been looking for in them, and... wow, it's just perfect. I feel kind of awkward trying to really review this, like I'm not able to fully grasp everything the fic presents and everything I want to say about it.

Merlin is so spot on here it's amazing. His youth, his innocence, his insecurity... but he's also terribly aware of all that, too, in a way we never see in the show, and I love it. This feels almost like a slight character study, in that he's juxtaposed with essentially his polar opposite and that forces him to test his own boundaries. I especially loved the line about how tempting it would be to escape his destiny with Arthur, and all the times he talks about how free and open he feels with her and how empty his life at Camelot is in comparison. It's no wonder he knows he'll eventually consent to be her prisoner forever... it would be more freedom than the life he lives now.

And then there's Nimueh. You keep her, as you say, regal and mysterious by making you have to work to really 'get' whatever she's saying or doing. While Merlin's growing feelings- I'm not sure if it's love, but it's definitely need- are obvious, you only demonstrate the barest edges of whatever she feels for Merlin, and make the reader desperate for more. I've always loved it when people try to present Nimueh's relationship with Uther as a twisted future of Merlin's and Arthur's, and her esoteric advice was haunting and evocative. Especially "demand his allegiance if you must tie yourself to him."

Even the simple things are incredible, like the image of Merlin strolling back to Camelot barefoot carrying his shoes, or the short description of something small like their clothes bending what they have. Seriously, I cannot rave enough about this. You inspire me, no lie. Your talent is... IMMENSE, and I am feel genuinely honored to read this. Ummm... can I carry your lunch to school for you? Do your laundry for three weeks? I don't know how to repay you for this gift of a fic, seriously. Thank you for sharing it with us. b(_)d

~Eidolon02~