Reviews for Magia, Pacem, Bellum Terrarum
johnterrencekelly chapter 18 . 4/16
This story deserves more than the number of favorites it already has. This is an excellent side story to Puella Magi Madoka Magical, and it shows us an interesting take on the story of Walpurgisnacht. Kudos to the way the author inserted interactions in the way witches interfere with historical events: the Battle of the Somme, the Far East Air Force controversy (which still remains unresolved), and the controversial and indiscriminate use of heavy artillery in the Battle of Manila, to name a few. There are some discrepancies here and there, but thankfully they don't detract heavily from the story. All in all, it's a good read, and I hope the sequel is just as good–maybe even better.
Puella.Magi.Kuro.Magica chapter 18 . 8/15/2015
Wow, that ending really did the finishing job- that story was just amazing. I read that in two days be I couldn't put it down! It was that intriguing.

You and your beta readers did a great job, I give credit to all of you for that beautiful piece of art.

I have no complaints about this.

-Kuro
3141Molly chapter 18 . 8/8/2015
This story is good. I was initially interested because the summary mentioned the second world war, and Walpurgisnacht. When I was watching the last episode of Madoka Magica, hearing Walpurgisnacht's scary laugh, I wondered who she was before she became a witch.

Reading this was a fun journey. It unnaturally feel longer than the word count, for some reason. But that's okay, because it's written nicely. Numerous reference to the history of World War II pop up here and there, a very good bonus. At the very least I can persuade myself with the history content so I can keep avoiding doing my real work, hehehe. There are also many language other than English here, which added my personal enjoyment. I wonder how much research is needed to pull both of it off, anyway? The date, the name of the gun, and the tank, man, it's very fun. I wish I read this when I got the assignment to find weapon from the World War. I would totally pick the M1 Garand, and then I will totally ramble about the weapon.

It's the first fanfic I read in Madoka Magica fandom, so I can't compare this with other fanfic yet, but I think all the witches' barrier here are pretty creative. Ligaya's and Audrey's power are also very interesting. And to top it all, I can imagine right away how everything looks like, just like watching a movie, which is a good combination with the creative part. I also cried a lot on the last chapter. You really give me the chance to practice silent crying, that's for sure.

The best feature of this fanfic is, to me, the amount of research dedicated to write this, I think. I haven't seen any fanfic with this much research. Lots of dedication here, although I don't know for sure how accurate the use of foreign language on this fanfic. I kinda like the battle for Edificio Gumamela too, I remember that the plan was rather interesting.

Some easter egg here is how the last sentence in any chapter is the next chapter's title, except the second-to-last and the last chapter. It took me a while to figure out that.

The quality of the writing is nice, if smooth reading is all we needed than this is certainly more than enough. I like the part about Hideyoshi's internal feeling when she battled Homura.

Other than that, another remarkable feature of this fanfic is the smoothness on merging canon and non-canon part. The scene from canon written here managed to capture the atmosphere of the scene on the anime, and the internal thought of the character feels just right. I was watching it with the dub version, and I swear I think the dialogue here is written word-by-word. It's not full blend between canon and non-canon, I can still sense where the canon stops and the fanfic starts, but it's a good blend nonetheless.

Hehe, if I am a Filipino or a Filipina, I would just read this instead of my history book. I'm sure this would stick far better.

While I was reading, I found some mistakes here and there. In a good fanfic like this one, normally when it's good it's all good, or the mistake would be some very major thing. But here, the mistakes are the small things. A sentence without a dot to end it, some spacing mistake, typo, those kind of thing. While it's nothing major, I think by the end of reading this, I have spotted more than 20 small mistake like that. Well, since they are small things, they probably slipped in the sea of words well. I currently considering downloading all of the story to a Word document and editing it all myself.

Also, when I read the foreign language (for the sake of this review, foreign language is any language other than English), not all of them was explained. The meaning of it, I mean. I don't have any idea what Lorelei Sankt said to Hideyoshi when Lorelei already became a witch, the one in German. Of course, I can kinda guess some of it, lots of language have some similarity with English after all, but it would be nice if there's translation note for all of it. Hmm, and while at it, it would be very interesting if the name of each witch is mentioned too. I wonder what's the name of Lorelei's witch?

Still about the foreign language, I spotted something about the Japanese. Japanese language has two or three (I don't remember exactly how much) different way of writing in romaji. Some write e as he, or o as wo, and vice versa. The part when Kyuubey asked Hideyoshi about the fate of her village seems to be written in different kind of romaji with the part when the Japanese soldier were checking the storehouse of Padre Faura. Was it "Ikimashou"? I don't know much about the way of spelling and writing of romaji, so I may be mistaken, but according to what little I know, they're written differently. It's just the matter of consistency, which is not all that important, but I thought I should mention it.

Next, about some spelling. What bugs me 'till the end is the word "dreadnaught". While I understand it's a valid spelling variant of this particular word, but it kinda unsettle me everytime I read it. I am used to the spelling "dreadnought", and this spelling seems to be more prevalent than the other, that's why it bugs me so much. I looked up on my Merriam-Webster dictionary, and it told me it's "dreadnought". Again, it's not very important as it's only a matter of personal preference really, but once in this fic, the spelling reverted from "dreadnaught" to "dreadnought". But I think that was probably unintended typo. And speaking of this, I remember spotting one grammar mistake. I'm normally not very picky about grammar, so I just ignored that one.

All in all, it's a fun ride, although I have to look up on Google a little bit to know which part is history and which part is fiction. If I don't look up the battle at Clark Base I wouldn't know who's the first man to fight against the Japanese. But hey, it's worth all the extra knowledge I now have about World War II. This fic also make me a lil' bit interested to visit Philippines too. Wish fanfic writer at my country would write something like this too, so I can look at my country with different perspective. You certainly give me different perspective of Philippines.
PrinceRazor chapter 18 . 1/1/2015
Breaking that 100 review mark. This was a wonderfully written story introducing some really creative characters as well as a well thought out idea about the nature of Walpurgis.

I commend you for bringing about this idea into paper(or text however you call it)

A Fellow Reader
-PrinceRazor
Sailor Pandabear chapter 18 . 11/18/2014
nice.
the Oracle of Akemi chapter 18 . 10/24/2014
Great ending! This story was fantastic and very entertaining to read. I'm on to the sequel now!
Smithrooks chapter 18 . 6/25/2014
There's always so much hidden talent to be found. This is truly a tale about all magical girls that goes through time. Your writing is superb. Every descriptive passage brings to life the scene and every emotional moment can be felt. I truly think that this story could be made into another season of Madoka Magica. I am confident that the sequel will be just as good, if not better.
Pekiunai chapter 1 . 6/24/2014
Oh yeah, I just remebered a question. Where was Kyubey during the fight? He deserves to see his loss!

Anyway, good luck to your future stories!
Pekiunai chapter 18 . 6/24/2014
Beautiful take on identifying who Walpurgisnacht is! Truly beautiful! Ah World War II... Wars are always depressing times... quite easy for a Witch to manifest, no?

Everything was clearly vivid. I can imagine the scenes well. I personally like how you blended this story with Madoka Magica's timeline. Damn you Incubator... Yep, I hate him and always will. As for negative comments... none from me.

I really liked how Audrey, Ligaya, Serafina, and Michi appeared with everyone else appeared alongside Goddess Madoka in the finale. In the anime, Urbochi (probably misspelled his name ;) just made it plain, boring. In here, you gave that particular scene life. Truly beautiful (what the hell, an evil enitity won't go down easily with a single shot anime!). Normally, I don't care of the generic OC story but yours really caught my attention (thank you TVTropes). The way you characterized your OCs made me fall in love with them so much that I started rooting for them. I clearly felt their sorrow and grief, all because of that damn Incubator. I really don't know if Homura would skip class to figure out Walpurgisnacht but who cares? I'd probably do the same thing.

All in all, a beautiful story. It starts out slow but when you continue, the action picks up and things start getting serious, and we all get a happy ending afterwards. This fanfic definitely deserves a larger audience and I hope future readers enjoy reading this fanfic much as I have.

Time to end it here. Good luck on your future fanfics!
SatoshiKyu chapter 4 . 6/8/2014
That Railgun reference... Biribiri is best electric flyswatter.

This is highly interesting and very well written. Quite the enjoyable read.
Shmeagle chapter 1 . 6/1/2014
I'm back, and I'm here to write the review this story deserves, rather than my rubbish little one that I left before :P

It's very rare that I come across a fanfiction that I remember as its own story and not just a reimagining or addition of what it is based off, but this is one of those rare fanfictions that stands up as its own adventure and sometimes even excels its source material. The whole story, from start to finish, felt like it could have been written by Urobuchi (I've probably spelt that wrong but oh well) himself; its scale was immense, and the story incorporated thousands of great ideas that kept the readers on the edges of their seats without relying on cheap plot twists and instead gripping the reader by the throats and forcing them in for the ride.

The story itself, like I said before, was epic and worthy of being in the actual cannon of PMMM. The twist with how Walpurgis was created was incredibly cleaver and explained perfectly why she was made up of more than one magic girl; the whole idea of an organisation of Puella Magi was very well put together, and the fact that most of them were unaware of what they had signed up to reminded me of the witch twist in the original series and was just as unexpected. Throughout the story I was wondering who was going to be Walpurgis and the new revelations every chapter kept me guessing and I didn't actually work it out in the end (which is always a good thing in my book). The way you mixed in your story with the story in the series was also very cleaver as it allowed everything in PMMM to make that little bit more sense in regards to Walpurgis. It also developed Homura a bit more in a realistic fashion.

The setting was also just as impressive. World War Two was a time of suffering, so it's obvious that it would be a big time for witches and magic girls, the desperation of finding grief seeds and the mystery of the killings also built up a lot of suspense throughout. As I mentioned before, the idea of Salve was ingenious, and the way each branch worked was very cleaver. I could imagine it being a real operating structure. Also, the multiculturalism was really well done, it's not often (in fact, this is the first time I've seen it) that you get to see magic girls in action from all over the world and the way you incorporated their language, customs, and history showed that you had done a lot of research. Your research into WWII was also very impressive and it made everything feel that bit more real - even just naming a weapon or area that was attacked really addeded to that feeling that this is actually part of the cannon.

Now onto the characters, normally I'm not fond of OCs because they can detract away from the story if they just appear with the main characters as they can often prove as a distraction, but th way you wrote your characters prevented that and allowed them to grow on their own merits. There were times in the story where I actually forgot that your characters weren't in the series, they were written in such a way that the reader could see them develop over time and could see their personal flaws; they felt and acted like real people, which was really nice to see. In fact, I actually got emotionally attached to some of them (Lorelei and Ligaya mostly) and their ups and downs (especially Ligaya's loss and Lorelei's breakdown) really made me think and feel sorry for them. It really felt as if I was being taken on a journey with the characters and you could see their change from start to finish, allowing me to look back on the story and those involved and go "wow, they've gone through a lot. I forgot they were like this when I first saw them" which is a really nice feeling. It's kind of nostalgic in a way, and reminiscent of how I feel when I think of the change that Sayaka went through (which is a good thing, by the way :P).

Overall, this whole fanfiction felt like its own epic - something far more worthy of being added to the Madoka Magica cannon than any of the mangas. I just love the journey feeling to it all, and the way I can look back on it like I might look back on my favourite novel or movie series and just think about what happened in them for a little while and then I find myself smiling because there's just so much. It is really nice to find a fanfiction that becomes its own little fiction while borrowing things from the cannon rather than relying on it.

Definitely one of my, if not my absolute, favourite fanfictions that I've ever read :D
Shinoki chapter 18 . 4/27/2014
Uuuu...
I really want to cry now that this story is over
Madoka made the wish in the end...
Serafina, I really liked her...I'm glad...
Serafina, Michi, Ligaya, Audrey...those friends... I'm so glad
And... Elise and Lorelei...those two...
That friendship, those bonds...I can't help but feel teary and overwhelmed...
Ah, so this story is over for now...
KuletXCore chapter 4 . 4/24/2014
can i make a FULL TAGALOG TRANSLATION out of this fic? I'll credit you.

FAVED.
Shmeagle chapter 18 . 3/27/2014
Awwww, that was really sweet. I have to say I'm really impressed by this story, you did a good job of making your own characters and your own story inside of the PMMM universe and tying it all together nicely. Well done!
Danny Barefoot chapter 18 . 11/11/2013
The final battle with Gretchen was definitely my favourite part of the ending. All I can say to a story like this is... bravo.