Reviews for The Return
Annie789 chapter 1 . 8/29/2004
Oh wow! So I was just looking at some really old Sil stuff, and I found this. Just, wow. Absolutely breathtaking. It was an emotional roller coaster ride and the end...that was just great. *cheers*
jojo11 chapter 1 . 5/21/2004
oh, so sad...
but there is still hope in the end...
RavenLady chapter 1 . 2/23/2004
Every line is simply beautiful, and there's so much vivid emotion here. I like the way you use the Curse of Mandos to reinforce things . . . it's somehow ironic and yet it makes sense that Finarfin's shoulders were "bent as if in defeat"
- he's just won a war, but they've lost so much.
You handle the grief of both characters very well. What a wonderful ending, too. Yay for Finrod!
silivren chapter 1 . 12/31/2003
this is a really beautiful and touching story. i have never cried over any movie or story but for the first time i felt like doing so. finch, you are really talented.
jillian baade chapter 1 . 10/20/2002
Ah, poor Finarfin, poor Earwen. To lose their sons and not even be told, how cruel that the Valar did not tell them, or other parents of their children's fate. I guess this comes of the Valar being creatures not really of this earth, not being parents and therefore unable to understand the grief of the elves whose children had died. The end is particulary good, where you take up the Silmarillion line 'that Finrod walks with Finarfin his father.' Lovely
Mouse chapter 1 . 6/2/2002
Ooh... so touching *sniffle*. The heart of a mother is captured so perfectly in this, especially the line "But Eärwen, who would gladly denounce the Silmaril above her to have her children about her, did not look up." This is the star Elves love above almost everything... yet it is second to her children. And I never really considered before how Galadriel's choice would have affected others. Lovely.
Altariel Artanis not log in chapter 1 . 4/24/2002
WOW! This is original. I pondered once about Earwen and her reaction to the departure and death of her children, poor thing. Its very nice, however, that you put a hope in this fic, where Finrod finally reembodied, ( but I always thought the reembodied Elves will born again as a baby?)

I am writing a story in which Galadriel regreting her choice in kinslaying and to stay in Middle Earth, (the Sins of the Immortals) and I might use your fic as inspiration. Do you mind?

I love your writing. They are so profound! Like Deborah's, and thats the highest compliment I can give to any fanfic writer here... :-)
alena chapter 1 . 4/20/2002
You've caught a mother's anguish so well. And the moment of joy and hope at the end! I especially loved the line "to rekindle their light with his own". Wonderful!
Ithilwen of Himring chapter 1 . 4/18/2002
Joy after sorrow - what a wonderful story arc. This really brought home to me the fact that even after the Curse of the Valar is lifted, the pain continues for many. How many parents will have to wait until the end of Arda to see their sons and daughters again? And Finrod's love of his parents and his happiness at his return are wonderfully portrayed.
Woman of the Dunedain chapter 1 . 4/13/2002
oooo, I am such a sucker for happy endings! Great story, your style is envious!
Le Chat Noir chapter 1 . 4/12/2002
Beautiful! Hey, so someone else did write about Eärwen. She's just such a forgotten character. I've always wondered just how it was that elves could be let out from Mandos' Halls, specially about the sentence 'But Finrod walks with his father under the trees of Eldamar' or something like that.(I can't be sure, not owning the books in English. Sigh.) Again, it is an awesome characterisation of Eärwen, and of Finarfin. Well, I'm off to read your other works now.
Rian chapter 1 . 4/11/2002
Well, I never thought about Earwen like that before, but you made me really sorry for her. How about a sequel, when Galadriel returns? Or something else I'd like to see is Finrod's decision to leave Amarie (I love Finrod).
Oboe-Wan chapter 1 . 4/11/2002
OH! How beautiful!

This is really a marvelous, moving story. Thank you for characterizing Earwen... And you've captured her so well, and so fittingly. And your Finarfin is perfect...

I'd always wondered at the "Finrod walks with Finarfin his father" as well. Thank you for making it so beautiful.

Striking. Truly an excellent story.

(I've written a bit about Finarfin in Middle-Earth, and Finarfin and his children at the Kinslaying. Not posted yet, because I'm not sure where the sections fit into the grand scheme of my little stories, and I hesitate to include them alone if I'm going to make them part of a larger work. But, if you're interested in reading them, I'd love to share... just email me at )