Reviews for By Such A Foolish Name
Number Girl chapter 1 . 3/3
I see so few stories that give Strider friends in the places he protects, and it's so nice to see one do him that kindness. It must be a hard life for a man, mostly alone and untrusted, though he be most worthy of trust, so when a gem comes along like master Bowen, it must indeed be a ray of sunlight to a Ranger of the North.
GirlwithaCurl chapter 1 . 12/21/2015
This was very sweet and moving. I'm glad I found it-it's one of the few stories that shows us something of Bree. :) Thank you, and happy holiday of your choice! :D
Ryanwe chapter 1 . 11/4/2015
Bowed said that TWO times! XD
"no ranger could ever be a king" and " no king ever born would dare go by such a foolish name as Strider"... He's really amazing! But, if Strider wasn't his only name? Hmm... Maybe the idea would be worth a thought XD. Thanks for writing, love your portrat of Estel!
PSW chapter 1 . 10/7/2015
The weather has fallen upon me like the fist of an angry troll... :-) I like that. :-P

I love Strider - Aragorn as a ranger stories have a special place in my heart, and in your story here he was very much like I picture him. I much enjoyed, thanks for writing!
wotumba1 chapter 1 . 9/15/2015
oh bowen, that is where you are wrong ;-)
good Story!
Stormcutter684 chapter 1 . 7/12/2015
Aww, Bowan has a kind heart. And to think, his strange suspicions are correct about Strider! Lol!
I loved this story, mellon-nîn.
Guest chapter 1 . 5/11/2015
I love these stories about strider in Bree. It's always fun to view other people's interpretations of it. I've read this one before, but good things always need to be read at least twice.
LadyOfAnfalas chapter 1 . 4/12/2015
Very good! It was surprisingly funny in parts and I LOVED Bowen, he had so much character and seemed to belong to the Bree-land so perfectly.
rivendellelve chapter 1 . 12/19/2014
Awesome story
Toaofwriting chapter 1 . 10/19/2014
Wonderful story, great characterizations.
Lovely job.
Crookneck chapter 1 . 6/15/2014
I’m a fan of Everliegh’s; went to read her most recent story, saw your name in the intro, decided to check out your stories. Saw what you said about reviews on your bio. Well-said, interesting way to think about reviewing, and I will very happily ‘pay’ you for sharing your work! (Ironic that this story begins with a farmer who can’t sow his fields because it’s too wet out – that’s the same reason I’m inside reading ff right now, it’s raining and my farm is a mudpit.)

First thing I fell in love with here was the phrase near the beginning – “He liked his stout a little bit sweet, he did, and…” Don’t know how to describe why I love that so much, it’s the HE DID part, it adds so much to the character and the tone of the storytelling. It immediately hearkens to old folks in small towns that sit around at the local café and say things like “so I says to him I says, Herb, set down before you blow out your other knee, but Herb doesn’t listen, no sir, so he goes on out there like an idiot, and blam, there it went. I told him so, I did.” Or something.

“They’d all blown into the Prancing Pony like fall leaves before a driving wind” – THAT line sounds like it came right out of a Ray Bradbury book, love it!

The bit about the toddy is a nice touch – that’s just what my imagination wants after having read about all that rain and mud! And I love the details Bowen picks up about the usual cost of a hot toddy vs what Barliman is charging Our Hero. Admittedly I haven’t read the books but I don’t know anything about Barliman’s character – I’m beginning to like him! And I like how you’re constructing a relationship between Aragorn and Barliman without our having heard a word from either of them yet. You crafty.

I softened to Bowen as a character with his thoughts on hobbits and mushrooms. :)

Despite the name of the story, the part where Bowen learns Strider’s ‘name’ and goes on to himself about what sort of name it is caught me totally off-guard and I found it thoroughly delightful! Bowen has a good point, that DOES sound more like the name of a horse! I’d never before wondered about that name but now of course I’m wondering right alongside Bowen.

Now the bit where Bowen tells Barliman that Strider can stay on the floor of his room – that’s beginning to remind me of Moby Dick! Excuse my generalizations but pubs are such a gruff sort of place, not the sort of atmosphere I would expect people to be acting all kindly to each other, especially to complete Ranger strangers. Bowen seems the Queequeg of the situation – not to say Strider is particularly Ishmael-y.

I love the natural flow of conversation between Strider and Bowen from the start – we’ve all read plenty of conversations that happen between characters who are strangers to each other and it seems like the majority of these conversations are almost painfully cautious, which is usually true to real life. This conversation strikes me as remarkable because it’s not often a stranger has the guts to ask a ranger-character such nosy questions, the gall to go on about his dad like that, and the kindness to offer not only room on the floor and stew but also good company.

Blah blah, what I mean is, as much as I love Aragorn, Bowen’s character totally steals this story with his unexpected kindness and open-heartedness, which comes through not only in how he acts towards Aragorn but also in little things like his thoughts on how he runs his farm and on the mushroom-stealing hobbits, and also the casual mention about his fondness (or at least his curiosity towards) Elvish culture, which would seem to indicate a mind yet open to what the world has to offer. Sounds like this warmth runs in the Rushlight genes too!

I see that there is a story that follows this one, which is a problem, because I didn’t come here to spend tons of time, I just came here to check out what sort of story you wrote… Unfortunately for me I liked the story and the story has a sequel, and I’ll have to wait for the sky to let down another deluge before I have time to read it! The suspense… I’m so happy and grateful to have found this treasure trove of well-crafted stories, thank you for sharing your talent with !

-C
Snehalotr chapter 1 . 3/14/2014
I could feel the cold, practically see the crowded prancing pony. I love Bowen! I can't wait for the final installment of the Rushlight Trilogy. Have you started writing it?
Elwaith chapter 1 . 3/11/2014
I couldn't help laughing each time Bowen thought Strider was a king but then told himself that no Ranger could be, or that no one called Strider could be.
Guest chapter 1 . 2/19/2014
Hmm I like it. I think the bowen guy acts in love with stride. I like I anyway.
Freyalyn chapter 1 . 2/12/2014
What a lovely little story - little does Bowen know how truly he sees! Thank you for sharing it with us.