Reviews for By Such A Foolish Name
Stormcutter684 chapter 1 . 7/12
Aww, Bowan has a kind heart. And to think, his strange suspicions are correct about Strider! Lol!
I loved this story, mellon-nîn.
I love these stories about strider in Bree. It's always fun to view other people's interpretations of it. I've read this one before, but good things always need to be read at least twice.
LadyOfAnfalas chapter 1 . 4/12
Very good! It was surprisingly funny in parts and I LOVED Bowen, he had so much character and seemed to belong to the Bree-land so perfectly.
rivendellelve chapter 1 . 12/19/2014
Awesome story
Toaofwriting chapter 1 . 10/19/2014
Wonderful story, great characterizations.
Lovely job.
Crookneck chapter 1 . 6/15/2014
I’m a fan of Everliegh’s; went to read her most recent story, saw your name in the intro, decided to check out your stories. Saw what you said about reviews on your bio. Well-said, interesting way to think about reviewing, and I will very happily ‘pay’ you for sharing your work! (Ironic that this story begins with a farmer who can’t sow his fields because it’s too wet out – that’s the same reason I’m inside reading ff right now, it’s raining and my farm is a mudpit.)

First thing I fell in love with here was the phrase near the beginning – “He liked his stout a little bit sweet, he did, and…” Don’t know how to describe why I love that so much, it’s the HE DID part, it adds so much to the character and the tone of the storytelling. It immediately hearkens to old folks in small towns that sit around at the local café and say things like “so I says to him I says, Herb, set down before you blow out your other knee, but Herb doesn’t listen, no sir, so he goes on out there like an idiot, and blam, there it went. I told him so, I did.” Or something.

“They’d all blown into the Prancing Pony like fall leaves before a driving wind” – THAT line sounds like it came right out of a Ray Bradbury book, love it!

The bit about the toddy is a nice touch – that’s just what my imagination wants after having read about all that rain and mud! And I love the details Bowen picks up about the usual cost of a hot toddy vs what Barliman is charging Our Hero. Admittedly I haven’t read the books but I don’t know anything about Barliman’s character – I’m beginning to like him! And I like how you’re constructing a relationship between Aragorn and Barliman without our having heard a word from either of them yet. You crafty.

I softened to Bowen as a character with his thoughts on hobbits and mushrooms. :)

Despite the name of the story, the part where Bowen learns Strider’s ‘name’ and goes on to himself about what sort of name it is caught me totally off-guard and I found it thoroughly delightful! Bowen has a good point, that DOES sound more like the name of a horse! I’d never before wondered about that name but now of course I’m wondering right alongside Bowen.

Now the bit where Bowen tells Barliman that Strider can stay on the floor of his room – that’s beginning to remind me of Moby Dick! Excuse my generalizations but pubs are such a gruff sort of place, not the sort of atmosphere I would expect people to be acting all kindly to each other, especially to complete Ranger strangers. Bowen seems the Queequeg of the situation – not to say Strider is particularly Ishmael-y.

I love the natural flow of conversation between Strider and Bowen from the start – we’ve all read plenty of conversations that happen between characters who are strangers to each other and it seems like the majority of these conversations are almost painfully cautious, which is usually true to real life. This conversation strikes me as remarkable because it’s not often a stranger has the guts to ask a ranger-character such nosy questions, the gall to go on about his dad like that, and the kindness to offer not only room on the floor and stew but also good company.

Blah blah, what I mean is, as much as I love Aragorn, Bowen’s character totally steals this story with his unexpected kindness and open-heartedness, which comes through not only in how he acts towards Aragorn but also in little things like his thoughts on how he runs his farm and on the mushroom-stealing hobbits, and also the casual mention about his fondness (or at least his curiosity towards) Elvish culture, which would seem to indicate a mind yet open to what the world has to offer. Sounds like this warmth runs in the Rushlight genes too!

I see that there is a story that follows this one, which is a problem, because I didn’t come here to spend tons of time, I just came here to check out what sort of story you wrote… Unfortunately for me I liked the story and the story has a sequel, and I’ll have to wait for the sky to let down another deluge before I have time to read it! The suspense… I’m so happy and grateful to have found this treasure trove of well-crafted stories, thank you for sharing your talent with !

-C
Snehalotr chapter 1 . 3/14/2014
I could feel the cold, practically see the crowded prancing pony. I love Bowen! I can't wait for the final installment of the Rushlight Trilogy. Have you started writing it?
Elwaith chapter 1 . 3/11/2014
I couldn't help laughing each time Bowen thought Strider was a king but then told himself that no Ranger could be, or that no one called Strider could be.
Guest chapter 1 . 2/19/2014
Hmm I like it. I think the bowen guy acts in love with stride. I like I anyway.
Freyalyn chapter 1 . 2/12/2014
What a lovely little story - little does Bowen know how truly he sees! Thank you for sharing it with us.
Canafinwe chapter 1 . 11/3/2013
What a wonderful story! This is one of my very favourites already, even after only one reading. I've got a soft spot for Barliman, obviously, and I simply love to explore Aragorn's experiences in Breeland. You bring it off wonderfully: such a joy to read! I love the atmosphere that you create: warm and bustling and amiable, just as the Pony ought to be.

I love Bowen, too! Definitely a cut above your average Breelander, but still so very much at home amid his countrymen. It's such a delightful idea to have a man taken with the Elves - Bree's answer to Sam Gamgee! And from a long line of sensible and hospitable men, from the sound of it.

I laughed aloud at the Spider-Strider confusion, not just because it's such a perfect play on words, but because... oh! In a world of my devising Strider and Spider WOULD have been one, and that just makes me come over all fangirlish. Anyhow, I laughed quite merrily, confusing the other people in my living room.

Poor Aragorn: such an ugly day to be coming down with something. Thank goodness he found a kind soul in the common room. Your description of his dishevelled state, and his weary resignation when he's told there is no room, and his too-light coin purse, and Barliman's quiet generosity... ooh, you're thrumming at the old heart-strings, my dear! It's always so hard to see him brought so low, weary and ill and perhaps courting despair, and always so delicious to have him taken care of, even just a little!

Anyhow, it's a simply scrumptious story and I thank you for sharing it!

Canafinwe
mngirl chapter 1 . 10/7/2013
Dang this is good!
The Heroine With 1000 Faces chapter 1 . 8/28/2013
Brilliant story. I'm a bit jealous of your writing, actually ;)
elsa3beth chapter 1 . 8/8/2013
nice little gem of a story. Loved the characterization and descriptions.
ellisk chapter 1 . 6/21/2013
I'm reading when I should be working, and I found a worthy distraction! I am really enjoying your stories. Your Aragorn is great. Just like I imagine him. And your OCs are wonderful!