Reviews for Providence
bythepalmtrees chapter 1 . 6/28
Well this was just exquisite! I'm not even sure how to review this masterpiece... there was just so much that entranced me. I love the way you give dimension to characters by weaving in backgrounds with such historical interface. The flashbacks, the conversations and the shocking family revelations - all fascinating and superbly handled.

F Troop was an absolute treasure, and I loved Wilton as he appeared on the show. Seeing him in this setting - reliving intense family interactions, feeling the weight he carried since childhood and then later the emotional liberation he could experience being posted so far away with his own command - I just love him even more now! His grandmother was amazing. A woman of true strength and character. Reading descriptions of Lucy just made me appreciate Jane even more. She was a perfect match for dear Wilton. Clearly Wilton had qualities that showed that there is more to being a valuable human than just perfectly matching the footsteps of family members with powerful personas.

I know this is all just fiction on top of fiction, so I feel a bit silly to get so emotionally enthralled over reading tidbits of 'what could have been' or 'how it might have happened' ... but I can't help myself. I just love it!

Thank you so much for writing and sharing this beautifully story. I'm happy to know that it was a published work, and therefore hopefully many, many others were able to enjoy it as well.
JannaKalderash chapter 1 . 1/7/2014
Poor Wilton; I always felt for him. Being born of average abilities, and height in a family of giants. Look at the names of his relatives: Thor, Achilles, Hercules, etc. All of them named for gods and demi-gods from Greek and Norse mythology. And what name did he get? Wilton.

And yet, I always got the feeling that he got the last laugh over them. He managed to get out from under their scrutiny, and was posted far enough away that frequent visits just weren't feasible. Okay, Fort Courage was full of misfits, and what others would consider to be losers, rejects and idiots; but they had a lot more decency than most of their peers.

O'Rourke and Agarn were a great team; they could have set Wilton up for failure and disgrace but they worked to make him look like one of the greatest peacekeepers of the Old West.

And Wilton probably had a whiff of what was going on; he wasn't completely stupid. I feel that he followed the path of plausible deniability. And O'Rourke was good enough of a hustler to insure that he never got caught.

F Troop was one of my favorite TV series when I was growing up, even when it was being rerun to death in the 70's.

I really liked this story, and I hope that you do more in this vein.

Like maybe Wilton going head to head with his father over his engagement to Jane. I can just SEE the old man having conniptions over Wilton marrying GASP a common woman who wears buckskins, shoots better than most of the men in the family, and has a wicked enough temper to punch out anyone stupid enough to cross her. Especially if that person insults Wilton.
Joyce LaKee chapter 1 . 8/30/2013
This was so good. It was an amazing bit of backstory that reads like an historical novel. Almost like a reboot, only darker and seriouser (yeah not a word, but I don't care).
You have good skill handling your OCs. I hope you write more.
I'm sorry this is complete, because now I don't have anything to look forward too!
Happy writing
Aileil chapter 1 . 9/1/2012
Thank you very much for this story. The quality of your writing is well above that which I have encountered on this site before. And your take on the personality and life of Captain Parmenter is quite unique and refreshing. Thank you.
IcyWaters chapter 1 . 8/6/2011
I actually read this about a week ago and have been trying to figure out what to write in this review box. :-)

This is a truly remarkable piece of writing. The plot is fascinating and your attention to detail and historical accuracy is impressive. In addition, your characterizations are superbly well-rounded and everyone, from leading man Wilton to the smaller roles of Lemuel and Abigail, is fully realized and three dimensional.

My favorite character besides Wilton would definitely be his grandmother, Martha Parmenter. As the matriarch of this military clan, she could easily be reserved, aristocratic and disdainful and no one would think twice about it. But she’s also warm, caring and courageous. That contradiction makes her an even more intriguing person.

Wilton’s strong inner strength was on display when he learned of his father’s affair –- and of the existence of his half-brother. In a time where it would have been reprehensible to learn of such damning behavior, let along accept it, he didn’t bat an eyelash and accepted his new family. That one action speaks volumes of what kind of man Wilton truly is.

If I have any criticism, it’s that this story is too good… For a show that played fast and loose with history, I can’t “see” this as Wilton’s background. I can’t picture his father being that harsh to his children or his wife. Having recently watched “Scourge of the West” again, I can’t reconcile that Thor with the man who has such contempt for his son in this story.

My comments are not intended to be negative or insulting…far from it. This piece has stayed with me since I first read it, almost hauntingly so. This story is superbly written and well crafted, rating far, far above the majority of work posted on this site, but for me, it’s not the klutzy Wilton I love. :-) Does that make any sense? That said, I’d love to read more of your work!
Cruelest Sea chapter 1 . 7/2/2011
Unusual, facinating, and very well done. You don't know what a treat it is to find a new F Troop story on the site.:)