Reviews for What Flesh Remembers
oceanredwhite chapter 2 . 2/15/2013
"At dawn the light of the sun found them, the faded rays of the burnt fruit that is all that still endures of the light of Laurelin in the fallen lands." I think that is the most beautiful, poetic and tragical conclusion of a story. You've done an amazing work, indeed!
Killingmemory chapter 2 . 1/9/2013
Well written, and both sad and bittersweet. I enjoyed your portrayal of these two characters.
Viewer chapter 2 . 1/27/2003
Very nice. Very, very nice.
Deborah chapter 1 . 1/13/2003
Dear addicted,

All slash pairings are a matter of interpretation, and this one, despite its popularity, is no exception. In other words, there is no clear proof that they were lovers.

At this point I have no plans to write additional chapters to this story. You can read more about these characters in my story 'A Very Fire.' Also recommended is Finch's 'Under the Curse' (on my favorites list), which inspired my thinking about them.

Deborah
addicted chapter 2 . 1/13/2003
I can't wait for the next chapter! This is so good!
addicted chapter 1 . 1/13/2003
Okay, I've read so many things that say that Maedros and Fingon were romantically invovled. In fact, I haven't read a fic that says otherwise. I've read and re-read the passages about them, but can't seem to find if this is true. Maybe I'm just missing something. Could you possibly e-mail me or something and tell me? It's driving me absolutely nuts!
Helcatari chapter 1 . 12/7/2002
I'd hate to leave one of those "u r gr8" reviews, but this left me speechless, and I had to read it three times before getting the courage to write a review. This is one of those stories I've always wanted to read, and whould have written myself if my talents in writing were not limited to technical manuals. Everything is so believable - the atmosphere, the characters, the dialogue. The smooth flow of words and phrases paint such a realistic picture in the back of my head it's almost frightening. To summarize it - "wow. just - wow."

I was really trying to find something in this story to provide "constructive criticizm", but failed miserably...
ImaginaryWhisper03 chapter 2 . 11/24/2002
Yay! I love this pairing! You will write more about these two, correct? ::evil eye gleam:: Of course correct.
Celandine Brandybuck chapter 2 . 11/11/2002
Oh, well, what can I say? ;-) Nice deepening of Fingon's character here. The little touch of him answering "yes" to Maedhros's question, when he's really intending something else, is quite realistic.

Fingon's vision of Maedhros in the halls of Mandos, at peace - tempting in a way, yes, but surely if he's honest with himself Fingon knows that's impossible? As Maedhros himself says at the end of the chapter, acknowledging that failure to fulfill his vow will consign him to the Everlasting Darkness. Or perhaps Fingon is simply clinging to an odd kind of hope? Can any of the house of Finwë ever achieve lasting happiness, in Arda Marred?
Soledad too lazy to log in chapter 2 . 11/9/2002
It is a chilling move to bring in the memory of that nameless Telerin Elf from Alqualondë in that moment. And I think it's good that you didn't reveal his final fate. It adds to the tension... not that there hadn't been enough before.
Ithilwen too lazy to log in chapter 2 . 11/8/2002
I can't believe I forgot to write a review for this before now! This is a great sequel to the first chapter, tying your original chapter more closely to "A Very Fire" while still respecting the first chapter's dynamics. I particularly like the contrast between references to the sword-dance in "A Very Fire" and the sword-play you show here, which is ugly and graceless - as it should be, for now both Maedhros and Fingon know that the death their swords bring IS ugly, and it's marred them both. And how appropriate that the blue sword belongs to the cousin who endured the hellish crossing of the ice, while the red one goes to the cousin who was the first of the pair to spill Elven blood, and who saw both the ships at Losgar and (later) his own father go up in flames.
Finch chapter 2 . 11/8/2002
IMO this second chapter is an improvement on the first, especially the first paragraph, the passages referring to the effects of the Helcaraxe crossing, and the (very realistic) tension between the protagonists. Also, it adds depth to the character of Fingon, who turns out to be less simple and square than he seems at first, and thereby becomes a better match (hm) for Maedhros.

Fascinating contrast between Maedhros, who begged to die but was left alive, and the Telerin elf who begged for his life but... well, I can only hope Fingon didn't kill him, but the way he seems to have suppressed the whole Kinslaying episode is disturbing.

As usual, I was totally swept away by your style! And every time I read it, it makes more sense.
WatcherChild chapter 2 . 11/8/2002
Whatever the slashhaters may say, I for one am glad you wrote this. Maedhros and Fingon lead such tortured lives, and frankly, they have such tortured beginnings, it only makes sense that their relationship would be tortured as well.

I liked the scene with the swords. And I echo one of your other reviewers in how nice it is to see Maedhros unbalanced, both physically and mentally.

Excellent.
Cirdan chapter 2 . 11/8/2002
I loved seeing the tension between Fingon and Maedhros and the way Fingon's not completely willing to deal with Maedhros's defeatist attitude because he's pretty tired too. Fingon being drawn to Maedhros, heh, only natural. _ And Maedhros telling him to get his sword was nicely done. Wonderful interaction. I like the way you used the sword fight to show that Maedhros is so off-balance, not physically as much as he is mentally. I also liked the way Fingon accidentally agreed that he should've killed Maedhros. :b Clever. The description of Maedhros's hair was wonderful and true to redheads. And in the end, it's still sweet to see them come together. I like seeing the way they'd drawn together, even in the midst of despair. Great story. :)
jillian baade chapter 2 . 11/8/2002
Two screwed up elves who become lovers. Lovely as usual, Deborah. Their realisation that they personally and the Noldor as a group have achieved little, and it won't change was great. I loved Maedhros' uncertainity, and fear is so sad, as are his memories of Valinor, not for him, but for Fingon. It's Fingon whom I pitied here, for the Kinslaying has changed him totally, it's as if he didn't exist prior to that. I do think he doesn't know if he killed the mariner, he is incapable of remembering. Again, great story!