Reviews for Out of the Blue
biancaruth chapter 35 . 8/31
At the beginning of this chapter you poignantly point out how deprived Flannery was when she thought herself lucky or at least normal. At the end we realise how lucky she is when the Bertrams are crumbling (or maybe that happened a long while ago).
Hazelmist chapter 35 . 8/30
OMG! I knew you'd follow that storyline but I wasn't sure how or when you were going to work that in or how. And I know it's kind of outdated the idea of SCANDAL but this is Mansfield and They're gone and their siblings barely even care. I love the contrast between their odd relationship versus the relationship that flannery has with her ACTUAL siblings and I LOVE how she runs out at the end to make sure that they're alive and whole and still there and she loves them so much and I'm so glad she went back to them and was able to learn how to love them and let them love her after being stuck in this weird stiff world that is Mansfield. Loved the reappearance of Mary and how she's so clueless but yet she does smile at flannery and she does talk to her even if she is kind of talking down to her. She's such a complicated character and it's hard to hate her completely. Loved the reactions of mr and mrs Bertram and how flannery realizes that Nola LOVED mireille but she wants to blame it all on flannery but flannery stands up for herself in a small way and Ned steps in between them. Loved this and I can't wait to see what happens when they do find them! I'm so glad you're still writing this story, I look forward to the updates!
guest chapter 35 . 8/30
Things are starting to come to a head! This chapter was amazing as always, great job!
biancaruth chapter 34 . 8/5
I can't help feeling the senior Bertram's understanding is too little, too late; considering that's how I felt reading Mansfield park I'd say that's a compliment to your skill. Well done! Susie is a great medium for seeing things through fresh eyes.
Yay for the update!
TolkienGirl chapter 34 . 8/3
Brilliant as always. I love how Flannery interacted with Nola, subtly changed and subtly stronger, and her talks with both Susie and Ned.
Hazelmist chapter 34 . 8/3
Loved how the Bertram's welcome her back into their house and are happy to see her in their own way. Mrs. Bertram always did seem to be fond of her and I liked how dr. Bertram stood up for them in front of Nola and seemed genuinely surprised and then pissed off at the conditions flannery had been living in. Loved that little shot that flannery managed to take at her but I still hope she'll tell her to go to hell. It was funny and heartbreaking as flannery tried to explain Mansfield and how the neglect was different but better from what she would've suffered if she'd stayed with her parents and poor Susie can't quite understand it yet. And I loved the playful exchange between flannery and Ned. Can't wait to see more of them together and what'll happen now that everyone's under one roof and her past and present are colliding. I hope toms alright! Please update soon I love this story!
Vashti chapter 34 . 8/3
Why are you so perfect?

And while it probably isn't for me, thank you for Flannery's explanation to Susie of why/how she could stay with Nola, and for her family's horror as they're confronted with everything Nola.
spocksghost chapter 33 . 7/27
Oh man I just finished binge-reading this. It's so amazing, I love the characterization and ugh its all just so good :O 3
spocksghost chapter 18 . 7/27
I teared up a little their reunion :') So sweet
spocksghost chapter 10 . 7/27
This is so beautifully written and I love how you've adapted MP to a more modern setting. I'm being totally serious when I say this is one of the most well-written fanfics I've read.
kakcal chapter 33 . 7/16
Yay! Another chapter! Can't wait to see how Flannery handles herself with Nora and the others. LOVE THIS STORY!
TolkienGirl chapter 33 . 7/13
On the edge of my seat, as always. I love Flannery's new confidence and lingering doubts, and I cannot wait to read the next chapter.
Vashti chapter 33 . 7/13
I'm pretty sure I forgot to review the last chapter, which is terrible of me because every time you post, even the in-between chapters, I am absolutely thrilled. I know I've said this before, but you do such excellent work with the text. What I really want (besides a new chapter ;) is for this to be published offline so someone will ask you for the movie rights so we can finally get a decent version of this filmed. No one else seems to have your vision and insight into the characters, even when you diverge from the text to keep it modern.

I'll admit, from the last couple of couple of chapters, that I'm a less than happy that Flannery isn't as genuinely religiously minded as Ned. I'll also admit this is partly because I love the book and want no changes to Fanny. But on a practical level, without faith to rely on and gain direction from, with little to no education, little to no upward & outward mobility, few if any friends other than the cousin (what's Ned to her again?) she sees infrequently and the brother she writes to, no money of her own to speak of, and a downright abusive home life, what is she building on? What's keeping the ultra shy, selective mute from totally giving up? What gives her the strength to hold in between visits from Ned and letters from her brother?

And maybe it's just that I need to read the whole thing again in one sitting to see the hints of inner fortitude that I've forgotten, or, conversely the desperate departure that I've softened in my mind.

On the other hand, I love the family picture you paint with Flannery, Billy, Ned and Susie vs the Mansfields in the parlor. I am WAITING for someone to sick it to Aunt Nora! And I have no idea who I want to do it more. There are upsides to it coming from pretty much everyone. (Is it wrong to cackle with malicious glee? It probably is. Darn.) I'm also really enjoying the moments of understanding between the adults vs Susie's wide eyed wonder
biancaruth chapter 33 . 7/13
Bringing Susie along is a great plot maker. She sees these things as they are but through new eyes. I'm hoping for an apology at least from the Bertrams but I don't expect anything.