Reviews for Out of the Blue
Vashti chapter 31 . 4/26
I know it's taken me 4 days to review, but I actually read this immediately. Having just received an update from a story I also love but have been terrible about keeping up with, I was wondering when you might update, too, and then there you were.

I love the way you've interwoven your divergent storyline back into the main strand. We get Ned back, we see what happens to Tom, which we miss in Austen's original, and we get deeper emotional impact because of it. Plus, the Bertrams are (further) confronted with themselves and Fanny sooner. You've brought an emotional richness to the original that I, at least, wouldn't say it's lacking but is certainly lost on most people. The juxtaposition between Flannery and her sister's physical closeness vs the Bertram's almost-but-not-quiteness is telling, which I think you only really get when Fanny's brother comes to visit in the original.

All this to say, I love this chapter, like I've loved almost every other chapter. You make my Mansfield Park loving heart glad every time you post. Can't wait to see what comes next.
biancaruth chapter 31 . 4/25
A great chapter. I would prefer to see more appreciation and maybe an apology from Bertram Senior but I don't think that would hold true to his character. I like how you compare missing Ned to that of a deceased pet, you have an excellent way with words.
Hazelmist chapter 31 . 4/22
OMG I LOVE THIS STORY! Ned takes care of her and they just fall into it so naturally and he's not pushing himself on her but they still fit in these new dynamics. And I loved the introduction of Liam and Ned and that comment about him being what Billy will look like in 20 years and DUNKS! And then how patient Ned is with Suzie and how Dr. Betram reacts to Suzie and how they can't express themselves but it comes out in that adorable childhood story that Suzie makes them tell how much they really do care about each other. And the little looks and silent communication between Ned and Flannery are so cute. And I LOVE EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS. Please update soon! I need to know that Tom's really going to be okay!
Mrs. Rilla Ford chapter 31 . 4/22
Oh my goodness, I can't believe this finally updated again!

You have no idea how much I enjoy reading each new chapter of this story!

Please keep writing - there's something wonderful about the way you've taken one of Austen's plots and made it your own. A simultaneous appreciation of the old and the new, if you will. There aren't a lot of people who can pull it off, particularly with anything other than P&P and Emma - Mansfield Park is trickier emotionally and I love the spin you've put on it!
Vashti chapter 30 . 3/5
Oh Suze..you have to ask the heard questions, don't you?

I'm still loving this semi-diversion from the original. You're doing an excellent job of pulling the threads together, particularly for a modem audience with modern sensibilities. As unreal as Mansfield is, you make the while thing believable. I could only wish for longer, more frequent chapters, but isn't that what every reader wants? :-)
Lucky38 chapter 30 . 2/28
I was having the worst day...week. Thanks for ending it on a high note :) I cannot tell if Ned is now in love with her and is trying to hide it because he feels unworthy. And Flannery is just being amazing, I love how much you have made her grow from the beginning. She is able to speak her mind without the anxiety and doubt and what remains is just her kind and smart and funny self. Thank you so much, please keep writing 3
TolkienGirl chapter 30 . 2/27
Thrilled to see a new chapter. With Flannery and Ned interaction! Just beautiful.
biancaruth chapter 30 . 2/26
I'm loving this altered dynamic between Ned and Flannery, less dependance on her side and less condescending on his.
Hazelmist chapter 30 . 2/25
Aw they're back! I was grinning through that whole conversation and the pizza part at the end. And even though they haven't exactly picked up where they left off at least he appreciates her now and she's able to hold her own. It'll be interesting to see how that whole dynamic grows. Oh, God he's still with Mary even though it clearly isn't working. I love how you incorporated the whole morality component of Flannery/Fanny's personality subtly but not so much as Jane Austen did and I love that the story's set in Boston and how Flannery doesn't brush off Susie but tells her she has to show her Mansfield Park in order to explain everything. I can not wait to read more of this! Thank you for updating!
peacock33 chapter 30 . 2/25
Great to see Ned and Flan talking and learning what life has been like for him for the past few years. It's interesting that you have dragged out Ned and Mary's relationship so much, and that he still thinks he is so crazy about her despite how obvious all their problems are and how she doesn't really make him happy. Their relationships sounds so unhealthy, I wonder why he can't just let go. I'm really glad she is no longer in love with Ned, and hope that it takes A LOT for her to get in a relationship with him as he is so invested and obsessed with Mary that I would be really wary of ever starting a relationship with him. I am glad that she has moved forward so much while Ned has basically stayed stagnant and in an unhealthy cycle and hopefully he'll get his life together soon. CAn't wait fore more.
LizzieKarsen chapter 30 . 2/25
Thank the sweet heavens there's a new chapter. Loved it.
Anna31899 chapter 29 . 1/17
Amazing! I just love Flans attitude in this one. She doesn't take any crap from anyone :-)
Hazelmist chapter 29 . 1/11
I don't know where to begin. Tom, poor Tom. I knew that something would happen eventually to him, but I was so hoping that it wouldn't be this bad. And OMG Ned. That exchange between them when he apologizes and says he loves her... He's breaking my heart and already I forgive him for not reaching out to her and dating Mary. I wasn't sure I'd be able to get through this chapter when Flannery walked into MGH and then headed to the ICU but I've got my fingers crossed that you incorporate that part of the book as well and Tom makes it out okay like Gloria predicts he will. Please update soon! This is so sad.
biancaruth chapter 29 . 1/11
Suzie is sweet despite, or maybe because she has no discernible manners, especially on the phone. How did she think Mrs Bertram could be Henry!
TolkienGirl chapter 29 . 1/10
NED IS BACK! So touched by their reunion...once again, it's all brilliant and painful and enjoyable and engaging. The little details are always perfect.