Reviews for What Never Should Be: The Sex Gas Debacle
DWIAgal chapter 3 . 3/16
This fic really did just disintegrate into Gwen-bashing and over-glorification of Jack and Ianto. The characters were NOT written truthfully at all. Firstly- her missing the throw. It could've happened to anyone, and really Jack and Owen were to blame for setting such a bad example. Her apologising. I can't believe that you've never had something horribly embarrassing happen and overcompensated trying to make it up as a result. Then all these overly sappy Jack/Ianto conversations where it is blatantly obvious you won't acknowledge a single flaw in their characters, or follow cannon, and yet you write about shooting or retconning her for a silly mistake with unprecedented consequences on her first day with no training. Come off it!

Then you undermined her for pointing out how they aren't treating Carys as a person which was completely true! That was the whole point! Gwen was a fresh perspective that hadn't grown accustomed to death and killing, and made them rethink their categorising of people and aliens. Then you made out her profiling was stupid, when again it was what woke them up. Not to mention all the out of character things you made her say, just to get more digs in, and have Jack and Ianto be "righteously" angry (when they're both douche bags in this story).

And then her offering herself up. While rash, it showed her determination, care, and sincerity in putting things right, and that she would be loyal and selfless to the team. You just said she was being stupid, with some misplaced empathy. You ruined any fairness by making out Jack and Ianto were once again saints for putting up with her and seeing her (few in your eyes) good traits, just to try to stick with cannon and ruin the second episode for me with your hateful commentary.

I would just like to say thanks a lot. I only recently (after waiting for years and years because I was admittedly too young) joined this fandom and quickly have had all my excitement of sharing my love of the show desecrated by immature hatemail like this. I did not know it was a crime for liking Gwen, or expecting her to be written properly. I've since realised that J/I has decided to hate her because of J/G (R/G is for me), much like Martha was bashed because of Rose (funny cause I think Rose is awesome and I grew to respect Martha and wouldn't read something bashing her).

Next time tag your hate, or better yet don't write it. If you would feel hurt or offended by someone doing the same to your favourite characters, or ships (which you no doubt would) then don't do that to other people who love the same show, no matter the number of fans on either side. (It's also kind of ruined J/I for me before it was even in the show so thanks again)
Twisted Sister1962 chapter 3 . 3/28/2013
I wish RTD had portrayed Gwen as the one you've written. As someone flawed yet willing to learn. Also like the others, especially Jack's treatment. as someone with potential and requires lot of training. None of the heart of Torchwood bs or as the second in command. Also like your Rhys and their relationship. And Gwen seeming to get what what boundaries tof what she could say to Rhys and get the support she needs without breaking security.
penguincrazy chapter 3 . 3/7/2013
i loved this story(i read some of the others in the series and forgot to review because i was so excited to read the next one, so i love the rest of them also). I love how you put your own spin on this episode and i love how you wrote gwen realistically (i don't like her at all)
Mourning Star under the Moon chapter 3 . 8/31/2012
As a result of an inquiry on Facebook, your series came up. It intrigued me enough that I found myself inexplicably drawn to find it and read it. And in case you haven't figured it out, I love this AU completely! The changes are all so intriguing and make me want to find out what's going to happen next that's different from the original series that I'm finding myself wanting to beg you to continue. Be warned - I might just do that.

The only thing I'm unsure about is having Rose stick around, but that's a result of me disliking the character. Well, it started out as 'dislike' before it turned into a fierce and deep-set loathing as a result of trying to find a story that didn't see her as some sort of untouchable, perfect woman who is the Doctor's One True Love and finding what still feels like 99% of the stories go that route. Still, the way you've written her is tolerable and she's not nearly as prevalent in these stories as the characters I actually care about, specifically Ianto and Jack.

As for my feelings on Gwen Cooper - I tend to purposefully forget some of the crap she does that would otherwise piss me off. I see a character who I could very well love, but as a result of bad writing, is abhorrent. (Seriously, how does "I can't tell anyone!" translate to shagging a coworker? As much as I love the characters from Torchwood... the writing for the series can suck and become repetitive.) I don't find your story a Gwen-bash fic - but rather exploring the faults that the writers put there and actually doing something with them. So cool - can't wait to see where you go with that.

I know dearly want the next chapter, because I'm fairly certain that we're heading right into "Countrycide" - and I can't wait to see how this different history affects how everyone reacts. (Fairly certain, since that's episode 4 and we have already dealt with Lisa and her partial cyberconversion.)

I love this slight tension that we've got going on where Ianto has these near-death experiences that is causing both of our favorite men some anxiety. I'm very much looking forward to seeing where this is going. (And I hope I'm not incorrect in guessing that this relates back to just after Ianto's first near-death experience where he wakes up and hears the TARDIS say 'Bad Wolf.')

I also can't wait for Gwen to finally realize Ianto and Jack are a couple.

If you don't mind me making requests, I'd love to see Sarah Jane and Luke make an appearance, as well as Gage. I feel like the stories between everyone isn't finished, and I'd love to see Gage become a member of this Torchwood. Don't ask me why, but I think it'd be hilarious. (Also, I keep picturing Jack greeting Gage the way he always used to in full view of at least Gwen, and maybe the rest of the team, too, before Gage knows that Jack's back to being (mostly) an adult. It probably wouldn't happen that way, but the mental image I'm getting is too hilarious to stop.)

The other thing is that I feel like the way Luke and Jack last went their separate ways needed some closure.

(I'm hoping you don't mind me commenting about the entire series in one spot, but it seems to be the best option.)

In short, your stories are awesome, I love the whole thing, can you please write more? Seriously, this whole AU is bloody brilliant!

All the best

Star
klester1987 chapter 3 . 6/16/2012
PLEASE write another I love this series of torchwood fanfic!
one-blue-eye chapter 3 . 5/2/2012
This is YOUR story. It is an awesome story. You have been very clear about is being AU. So please, please don't listen to the stupid shits who whine and moan that they don't like how you write your characters. Seriously, fuck 'em. But you already know that. XD

Did I mention I love your stories? Thank you for writing and for sharing your awesome world with us all.
DarkwingDuckie chapter 3 . 4/18/2012
I love this sequel too! So sad there is no more (is there a chance for more?). I loved Ianto telling Gwen off about being second-in-command. Brilliant! And there is still the Ianto healing mystery (is it really like an STD?)... Wonderful!
red day dawning chapter 3 . 3/2/2012
Such an interesting take on the first day! If only it had gone that way - it's such a relief to see them all taking Gwen's mistakes seriously. I'm reading this series a little backwards because this story was recced to me, and I've only now realized it's part of a larger au. I look forward to reading the earlier stories.
Homo Explosion chapter 3 . 2/7/2012
Omg! I love this verse! I'm still new to the series so I'm still uncertain on whether or not I'm a Gwen-basher but I certainly didn't like her much in your universe. Makes me queasy, she does. :D I really like your fics and I hope you will be continuing them!
IShipItAllAndThenSome chapter 3 . 1/17/2012
I like how you handle Gwen. I hate her as well, and the Mary Sue-ness is so annoying. These are bloody amazing.

Is Ianto immortal? Cos, just the idea of them flying around time and space in their own home-grown TARDIS is... xD Bendigedig beyond belief.
Lupegarou4488 chapter 3 . 1/7/2012
These stories are excellent and I just blew through them all. Are you going to be writing any more of them?
Wormwoodworms chapter 3 . 12/4/2011
Just two words-thank you. This little thing made the whole deal with hiring Gwen and sex alien so much more believable, and actually made me accept Gwen a lot more than in original. Not like her,just... hate her less. I just wish RTD had enough balls to do the same. Now I'm off to learn a bit more about this verse of yours-it seems pretty interesting from where I stand. Cheers, and keep up the good work :).
FaceChanger chapter 3 . 11/6/2011
Hi! Hm. How to not sound stupid and immature and fangirlish? Aw, hell with it.

I love this series, definitely one of my new favorites. Just wondering though, how many are you planning to make and when are you going to publish the next one? Or is this one the last one? (doesn't seem like it should be...)
dancing lusus chapter 3 . 10/9/2011
Just read the whole series. Loved it. Looking forward to more stories.
Orion Lyonesse chapter 3 . 10/4/2011
I liked this version of the episode. It made sense in your AU and I don't think it was Gwen-bashing, either. Looking forward to more in this AU.

I have often wondered if Gwen was RTD's Mary Sue, that character written in to represent the writer, making him/her part of the action. If so, that would explain some of things he's done with the characters and the series.

What did you think of Miracle Day, by the way? I've seen a wide range of reactions among fans of TW and the general public. I don't know what the ratings were, but I wonder if STARZ will renew it.

Keep writing!