Reviews for Sneaking
mille libri chapter 27 . 3/4/2017
Well, the last exchange is just perfect, which I'm sure you knew when you wrote it. And overall, I think this kind of frank, open conversation that's about nothing in specific but everything in general is so much what the Theirins overall need to be better at. I like the still-uncertain but more mature Alistair, here, and that Cailan is clearly so much comfortable in his own skin (so to speak) in the Fade.
mille libri chapter 26 . 3/3/2017
Cailan's end is drawn here with the compassion and understanding that has been such a hallmark of your treatment of him.
mille libri chapter 25 . 3/3/2017
The bitterness and the envy here are almost palpable - Loghain's essential contempt for Maric and Cailan with their charm and their wit and their inner weakness and their lack of force on the throne, married with his own sharp mind and bent for battlefield organization and decisiveness, make his decision a foregone conclusion, and you've captured that thoroughly.
mille libri chapter 24 . 3/2/2017
This was an amazing meeting of the two brothers. Alistair, awkward and unsure and unable to trust, waiting for the mockery and the rejection, and Cailan feeling the weight of destiny on him without knowing that's what it is, finally selecting what's important to him and determining to keep it safe. Really well done.
mille libri chapter 23 . 12/25/2016
You can feel the reality start to close in over Cailan's head, and the way he's trying to ignore it, so valiantly, to just hope that things will go back to normal eventually, is so very much Maric's son.
mille libri chapter 22 . 12/24/2016
I like the subtle interchange between Cailan and Alistair here, and the fact that Alistair doesn't win the tournament makes it all the more interesting, I think. The touches with the Grand Cleric and her unhappiness were really nice, as well.
mille libri chapter 21 . 12/23/2016
I really like Teagan's point about the symbolism of Cailan and Anora having a child together, and I thought this was a real step forward for Cailan, planting himself firmly in the way of Eamon's goals and taking the battle to his uncle's weakest point. He's becoming a king now, starting to learn who he is and what's important to him.
mille libri chapter 20 . 12/22/2016
I really like the way you put this together - the letters reveal so many different sides of Cailan, and the ways in which he's trying to be a good king despite his lack of training for the job.
mille libri chapter 19 . 11/2/2016
Loghain's daughter and Maric's son, in spirit as well as in fact, are a difficult proposition for a marriage to start with, without the shared past that brought Loghain and Maric together in the first place to build on. And then the lack of children ... it's no wonder they've turned from one another, and it's so sad to see Cailan realize here all the things that could have been.
mille libri chapter 18 . 10/2/2016
You can feel the fog of grief and confusion and wishes that surround him over the course of the month - a fog he never entirely left, thanks to those who never looked inside it to find him. The suddenness of the loss clearly brought out the worst in everyone involved, and you highlighted that very well here.
mille libri chapter 17 . 9/28/2016
These two sides of him say so much about Cailan right now - trying to be a man in both its responsibilities and its privileges, but still so much the boy, as much in his upbringing as in his age. You've done an excellent job in this chapter of making his thought processes clear and forcing him to take on rather more than he was ready for in the name of standing up for himself.
mille libri chapter 16 . 9/28/2016
I like the shadow of the crown on Cailan here, his willingness to assume the responsibilities and his fears and doubts ... they're a very believable young Cailan's approach to something his father makes look both easy and impossible.
mille libri chapter 15 . 4/14/2016
You have Maric's essential torment, underlying the bumbling geniality that's so much a part of him, beautifully here, as well as his innate ability to explain things to himself and to put aside that torment.
mille libri chapter 14 . 3/14/2016
You did a really good job with the sparring session and the conversation - they balanced really well, neither distracting from the other but rather both intertwined so that you couldn't have one without the other, and it was I think the best way to get the truth out between them. And I like that they recognize each other so well that they were able to be honest once the barriers between them were broken.
mille libri chapter 13 . 3/14/2016
It makes so much sense that Cailan would be caught by that question, of just what exactly it is he's trying to teach his father in all this. And I loved the tensions between him and Maric and Duncan, their own private tensions as well as the ones they share - they stretch taut amongst them, almost palpable, without any of them actually acknowledging their presence.