Reviews for A Matter of Trust
InsanityIsClarity chapter 1 . 4/16
This was...so great.
BlatantBookworm chapter 1 . 3/16
This is really good. I love the characterisations and you did everything perfectly. Great writing.
hi chapter 1 . 12/11/2014
omigosh i love Hakoda and Zuko father/son relationship!

Poor Zuko, "drenched in sweat!" Wouldn't Toph had woken up sooner if his heart was going a "mile a minute," though?
babyvfan chapter 1 . 8/30/2014
I wish to God I could slip into the show and give Zuko one big hug. He deserves it. He went through things no person should have to dog through, and all done by his father
MarvelousWonders chapter 1 . 7/19/2014
God, I love Hakoda-Zuko interaction.
That boy just needs a ton of hugs and understanding and Hakoda is the perfect person for that.
Beautiful fic, everything fit together
Kat8615 chapter 1 . 7/17/2014
This is the best fanfic I've read in a while. Wish I'd found it sooner. Wow. KUDOS!
Guest313 chapter 1 . 6/16/2014
AHHHHH! This was brilliantly written! absolutely fantastic! Just...AHHH! *dies*
CherishRedemption chapter 1 . 5/24/2014
So good!
RakshaDaemon chapter 1 . 5/4/2014
Nice exploration of the characters. I love papabear Hakoda, he is such a powerful father figure. Zuko being weary of him makes a lot of sense considering what he has been taught about fathers through experience.
IGdude117 chapter 1 . 4/4/2014
A superb story. The characters were, well, in character the entire time, and this seems like an entirely plausible event; it seems like it could have happened in between the episodes we've seen. You gave Hakoda a life of his own; In my opinion we see only glimpses of who Hakoda is during the show itself, and you expanded on that well.

One note: Although you did put in a very compelling back story for Zuko's sword mastery, I believe it was actually Piandao (Sokka's sword master) who taught Zuko swordfighting pre-scar. Sorry, I'm a stickler for that sort of thing.

But yeah, great job! One of my favorite Last Airbender fanfics.
FountainQuill chapter 1 . 2/11/2014
I cannot tell you how happy it makes me to find a Zuko/Hakoda fic. And you wrote it so well. Oh my goodness. This is brilliant. I loved how you built their relationship and put in the little things from when Hakoda was younger. You portray everyone very accurately and constructed an altogether wonderful piece.

FQ
fanficfan chapter 1 . 1/4/2014
this is my favorite scar explanation story! Also I love the Hakoda Zuko interaction.
Waywardneko chapter 1 . 1/4/2014
Awwww...
This is good. :3
Isil'zha BLZ chapter 1 . 12/23/2013
Great story. I loved seeing the dynamic between Zuko and Hakoda, and I really liked how you drew parallels between Zuko's family and Hakoda's family, and illustrated how they are similar, and how they are different. One of my favorite ATLA stories.
Jade Eclipse chapter 1 . 9/8/2013
I absolutely love stories where Zuko tries to understand the dynamic in Sokka and Katara's family, because they have so much of the normal family relationships that he's never seen. His attitude towards Hakoda is especially interesting, considering the parallels between Hakoda and Ozai (in so far as they are both fathers and leaders of their people.) So this story hit a lot of the right buttons for me, and I'm glad to have run across it.

Zuko's behavior towards Hakoda is a great blend of wary and respectful, which is fitting as he's trying to figure out how Hakoda views him. And Hakoda's own uncertainty about Zuko makes perfect sense considering he's the son of the enemy. Hakoda always comes across as a reasonable guy who puts a lot of trust (rightly so) in his children's opinions, so I can totally see him accepting Zuko because Sokka does, and Katara to a lesser extent, but there are still a lot of ingrained prejudices to move past. I like Hakoda as the quiet observer while he's trying to understand how Zuko fits in.

I appreciate how you treated Zuko's eventual confidence - it often seems to me that Zuko has the whole Agni Kai event walled off pretty tight in his memory, but I understand how breaking with his father would bring it back as he no doubt reevaluates a lot of his life. There is some dramatization of it here with the nightmares, but what's important character-wise is that Zuko is still trying to avoid it until Hakoda puts it together himself. I loved how Zuko cages it in hypothetical terms, as he simultaneously wants to confide in Hakoda but is also trying to explore what a positive father/son relationship should be through Hakoda and Sokka. A lot of deeper things come out during that conversation, and it's very well done.

My only issue here is that sometimes scene ends feel too abrupt, like there should be a line or two. The last paragraph feels like it needs something beyond the blanket conclusion, though I'm not sure what I would propose. On the other hand, this might just be me, wanting the story to go on longer. This is a great story about two characters who didn't have much time to interact canonically, but whose dynamic I find most intriguing. Well done.
52 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »