Reviews for Cost of a Glance
SingularToast chapter 30 . 4/11/2013
I'm in pain and crying, but I'm smiling and my heart feels full and ... This feels like one of the least coherent reviews I've left. Which means I love the heartache of this story so much? I don't know. I don't know! I just loved it. Absolutely loved it. Now I feel awful and happy.
obsessedwithstufff chapter 30 . 1/20/2013
*sobs* That. Was. BEAUTIFUL! I can't believe I finished the entire thing! I loved it.
Loli-pop0394 chapter 30 . 4/23/2011
*tears* It has been 8 years since you finished this and for me to read, and WOW! It is all I can say. I recently started to read Mummy fanfics, and this is the best of them all. It was a beautiful story, Im speechless, it was just amazing. I dont know if you are still on this site, but if you happen to read this, I just have to say that it was a great story and I thank you for sharing it with us.
cloisharley chapter 30 . 2/3/2011
thank you for this story it was fantastic! it works brilliantly with the films. I forgot how much i loved the movies and now I know i'm gonna have to watch them again soon.
RougeDoll chapter 30 . 8/7/2010
Wow, I know you wrote this ages ago but I've only just found it and felt the need to review; not that I've managed to form cohorent words again.

I finished reading this last night but had to wait till morning as my thoughts were a bit of a jumbled mess.

This fic was truly beautiful.

The angst, the passion, the tragedy - OH the tragedy! I loved how Achsu-Rai was torn between his love for Nefertiri and his loyalty to his people and how Nefertiri, not being a Med-Jai, could never quite understand his feelings.

The end of Nefertiri was so cleverly done, you made it so subtle and built it up so wonderfully. Thinking back on it, I realised her headaches had only started after drinking from her father's goblet and at the time it had been so obvious that Anck-Su-Namun had put something within his goblet yet you then covered over it so well by claiming Anck wasn't capable of creating a slow working poison. How wrong Nefertiri had been! :(

The thing I loved most about this, and excuse the expression, but you clearly had balls. Not many people would confidently write a fic where the main characters died like this - especially with Achsu-Rai killing Nefertiri yet you did it. I've always wanted to write about a sacrifice to save a loved ones life so reading this was just superb to see other people see it's bittersweet beauty rather than something which can be trashed by reviewers.

A wonderful story, one that I couldn't stop reading yesterday when I found it so thank you :)

RougeDoll
Nakhti chapter 27 . 12/18/2008
Well, that was kinda sad. I'm not choked with tears tho, probably because I'm just not emotionally invested in their relationship. I like relationships to be real, and there's too much talk of fate and destiny and melodramatics for my taste, but there ya go.

Just out of interest, what poison would Anck have used? I didn't know there was any slow acting poison that could kill over a period of a month or more just from one dose, although I've just googled it and come up with thallium sulphate. Its soluble, tasteless and odourless, and a dose of just 800mg is fatal. It causes flu-like symptoms, pain in the extremities, then makes the hair fall out before slowly shutting down the nervous system, leading to death by cardiac or repertory failure. Apparently Saddam Hussein's secret service was fond of using it to kill political dissidents. Cheery thought!

Anyway, although I'm not sure it was known or capable of being produced by the ancient Egyptians, at least it's possible, and that makes me feel better. On to the next chapter then!
Nakhti chapter 13 . 12/17/2008
Ok, I was prepared to ignore historical inaccuracies, but then you deliberately goaded me with the statement 'For all you fact-checkers, the scenario we came up with is historically accurate (and so is the ring!:)'

Well, no arguments that the Island of Cyprus did exist then, possibly identified with the island the Egyptians called Keftiu. But you lose points for naming his mother Anna. This is a form of Hannah, which is ancient Hebrew and therefore could fit in with Keftiu as it had Semitic influence from Syria, HOWEVER, Anna is a later Latinised form of the name. tut tut.

By the way, you also lose points for naming his brother Khalil (wasn't going to mention this, but in for a penny...) which is an Arabic name (i.e. modern Egyptian, not ancient).

And how can the ring be historically accurate when you describe it as having a diamond, and the Egyptians did not mine diamonds?

Us 'fact-checkers' do so love it when you make such obvious mistakes and then actually dare us to question them – 5 minutes of cursory research and you could have avoided looking so silly!
Nakhti chapter 10 . 12/16/2008
Yeah, 10 chapters it took them to get together, and I just want to say... biggest cop out EVER!

'...And as is so often the case in star-crossed love affairs, one thing always leads to another...'

Yes? AND? How could you end the chapter there? I want to know what it led to! Well, I can guess, but I wanted to at least see him scoop her off her feet and carry her over to the bed before you cut the scene. But NO, you couldn't even give me that much to satisfy my prurient curiosity! ARGH!

*kicks something*

(as you can probably tell, I'm siding with the majority on this story, and have given up whinging about the abundant and GLARINGLY obvious historical inaccuracies and am just enjoying the fluff)

And yes, I do like Achsu-rai (hate the name tho, reminds me of Axle Rose - is that intentional?) At first I thought he was a rather vaguely sketched character so I didn't really care about him, but now he's starting to get a personality, and its a very appealing one!

I'm hoping to see more of him in future chapters tho, if ya know what i mean... ;-)
Nakhti chapter 4 . 12/13/2008
Hmm, the anachronisms continue... from crystal goblets (glass vessels were produced in the 18th dynasty, but due to the crude manufacture process - glass blowing was not invented until the 1st century BC - they were quite heavy and opaque, and the glass was coloured and decorated, not the delicate and translucent cut crystal that would produce the patterns you speak of) to modern expressions and phraseology. With such an obvious lack of research, I have to admit this story's credibility is waning... as is my interest in it. Possibly because I'm a complete pedant for historical accuracy. Is it fair to expect this in fanfic? Probably not. I can still bitch about it though, right? ;-)

But I'm encouraged to carry on by over 600 reviews telling me its a great story, so perhaps I'll just have to cut it some slack :-)
Nakhti chapter 2 . 12/9/2008
hmm, i see no one has reviewed this for a while, and you might be wondering how i happened across it after so long. Well, it was by having a quick snoop through Toni Isis' favourites. She's got fairly high standards, so i thought i'd pick one and give it a ago, then i noticed (not without a little envy) that your story had over 670 reviews! actually, thats the real reason i read it, coz i was so ruddy miffed that you beat my comparatively pathetic 580 summat reviews! *mumbles bitterly*

Anyway, enough blather. I find your story has intrigued me, and now i must read it (damn! Wanted to be able to dismiss it as unworthy of its high esteem and undeserving of my time)

Although I do note (not without some malicious satisfaction!) that there are some anachronisms... Not necessarily of fact, but definitely of attitude, expression and character. But hey, its supposed to be Evy and Rick, and I doubt you were going for historical accuracy anyway, so i'll just do my best to ignore them and read on...
Caskett-41319 chapter 30 . 5/22/2008
Wow that story was absolutely amazing. I think it has to be one of the best stories out there. All the character, emotions & events were perfect! It was an excellent story & you're a fantastic writer! Well done.
sir-writes-alot chapter 1 . 4/5/2007
Totally just read this story again. It's been awhile since I read it last and still wonderful. I love how you write it's like we're watching another movie.

p.s. Go M'S ! New season starting!
Tzarista chapter 30 . 10/26/2006
great story
hiatus2 chapter 9 . 5/2/2005
i dont know if anyone has pointed this out but that one line in chapter nine, the " you have my loyalty...but i cannot give you my love." sounds just like the one from that movie The Kingdom of Heaven with orlando bloom which is just coming out now in 2005.
Lilylynnnot logged in chapter 30 . 2/20/2005
Wow! This is by far one of the best stories I have ever read!It's perfect! You have an amazing talent! Beautiful work!