Reviews for Kindheit Ende
SeeMeeRoar chapter 8 . 8/18/2011
Wow! Just wow, this is amazing
matchbookjealousy chapter 8 . 8/18/2011
yay! she's getting so much better! i'm so happy to see it! :D

i agree, telling wendla's mother about her would not a good idea. i think once frau bergman understands what actually happened and how, she'll agree. i mean, i see how wendla can't be hidden indefinitely, but i also don't think there's any reason why she would *have* to see her mother again if she didn't want to.

keep up your great work, cris! update again soon! i hope wendla stays safe! *hugs melchi and wendla!* :)
northstar61 chapter 7 . 8/13/2011
Poor Melchior! He had no idea what he was getting into when he went to rescue Wendla, and the abuse she suffered is beyond anything he's ever experienced. The image of him needing to breathe in her scent and it exerting such a calming influence on him was powerful.

His dreams for the two of them will have to wait, and that won't be easy. He's had a crushing dose of reality dumped on him, and he's terribly frightened that, in spite of his mother's reassurances, Wendla won't be okay. He already knows full well that he'd be lost without her, so he's going to do everything he can to ensure her survival. Gotta say that doctor in town is obviously a realist, but what a downer.

Now that he's alone with his beloved, Melchior can begin to try to process the loss of his unborn child. I fully expect that he will do further research to get answers to all of his questions whenever he's able. That will satisfy his inquisitiveness, but it will take more than facts to dispel the ache in his heart.

I appreciate getting so much insight into all that Melchior is thinking and feeling, especially as it related to his being sent away and to all of the secrets his parents and others were keeping. Loved knowing that he would have come back for Wendla even if he hadn't heard from her, as he couldn't conceive of their link being severed.

"Marriage vows meant nothing compared to the vow his heart had already made." - They've been joined in body, but more importantly, they're joined in spirit. Once again, though, Melchior demonstrates how out of step he is with society's mores. In his mind, he and Wendla are as good as married, but that would be a completely unacceptable view to the adults that surround him.

I completely disagree with Fanny's assertion that Melchior can't place blame for the miscarriage. Yes, such an occurrence may well have been common, but those brutal kicks to the stomach would have been contributing factors.

"In that moment, she knew that her wish to keep them apart—her hope that he could move on from this, that his life might not be permanently altered—was in vain." - Thank goodness for this bit of awareness from Fanny. Having come to this realization, hopefully it means that she won't do anything to try to separate the two. I like the fact that she sees how different his feelings for Wendla are from those of most men of that era for the women they claimed to care for. She really should be justifiably proud of the son she raised.

There was so much care and tenderness in the cleaning scene, it touched me. Melchior, being strong for the girl he loves, and Fanny calmly taking charge, them working together towards a common goal, was wonderful. One of the small details that caught my attention was when Melchior realized his mother was using the good soap, so as to spare Wendla any further pain. I also appreciated that Fanny had Melchior talk to Wendla, both to soothe the girl, but also to distract him, and her letting him be the one to wash Wendla's face proves how well she understands their connection. Fanny may have lost Melchior's trust through her earlier actions, but she appears to be proving herself worthy of regaining it.

The difference in the way Wendla's been touched by Melchior vs the men in that house of horrors would be difficult for anyone to comprehend, let alone a teenage boy. His potential feelings of guilt at having set this all in motion, along with her emotional trauma, will be major issues that they'll need to work hard to overcome.

I couldn't help but smile at Fanny's having brought one of Melchior's nightshirts for Wendla, on the assumption that the girl would be more comfortable in it. I expect it would also be comforting, and for that, I applaud Fanny's choice.

Melchior is certainly being forced to grow up fast. Not only does he have to deal with what's happened to Wendla and to losing his unborn child, but he now has to cope with the knowledge that Martha is the victim of incest, and that many other children in the town are deliberately mistreated. Add to that his learning some of Wendla's history of being bullied by her own mother, and I'm not entirely sure how he's going to process so much negative information, or how it might change the way he sees people in general.

You're writing the innocence and depth of their young love so beautifully. It's a joy to read. :)
lili chapter 7 . 8/12/2011
oh my god I'm sooo impatient for the next chapter XD update soon please! :)
AlexisLovesGlee chapter 7 . 8/10/2011
Again, I am just completely floored by the quality of your writing. This chapter has topped all the rest, and it left me wanting more.

My favorite lines of the chapter:

"She was part of him—inextricably linked in a way he never wanted to sunder."

-This I think describes their relationship so perfectly. After everything they've been through, Wendla and Melchior are tied together in a way I believe cannot be undone.

"They were young and in love, and nothing could be casual and easy between them. The line between joy and tragedy was wafer-thin."

-Again, this describes the two of them perfectly. Their relationship has such a huge dynamic that nothing can ever just be.

""I'm not lying. I'm protecting her. She had no choice in any of this, and I'm not taking any more decisions away from her. Whatever happens now, it happens on Wendla's terms. Not mine, and certainly not yours.""

-Beautiful. Melchior loves her enough to put her choice in the matter over his desire to give the headmaster his just desserts. He's giving her the choice she should have always had, and, in doing that, he's proven that he loves her more than anything.

"He'd used his lips and tongue to explore her body, entranced by her soft curves and the sweet sounds she made when he touched her. But he'd never even considered biting her—certainly not hard enough to draw blood. The point of touch was pleasure, not pain. How could anyone substitute one for the other and think it was okay?"

-This just shows the awful contrast between Melchior and other men of that time period. He's a lover and a friend to Wendla, and he has no desire to own or to control her. That is what is so touching and heartwrenching about their story, and you write it so well.

"He had planted a child inside her, the expulsion of which was now making her extremely ill. He didn't know exactly why her mother had given her over to Herr Sonnenstich, but if his actions had also prompted that, he didn't know if he'd ever be able to forgive himself. None of this was fair to Wendla, but she was suffering the brunt of it nonetheless."

-Again, this awful guilt and sadness he's feeling shows his love for her. And I love the way you write it. It's so real, so concrete. Each and every chapter you write has me tearing up.

Also, sorry I'm so late reviewing. I've been out of town, and I didn't have access to a computer of wifi.
matchbookjealousy chapter 7 . 8/9/2011
aww! poor wendla! i hope she gets better soon!

i loved the interaction you had between melchior and his mother in this chapter! i think it's really interesting the dynamic you've created between them!

keep up the great work, cris! i can't wait to see more! :) *hugs for melchi and wendla!* :(
jamie chapter 7 . 8/9/2011
this one was sooo good! really can't get enough of your story
lili chapter 7 . 8/8/2011
another time just amazing writing...you had me nearly crying!

his love for Wendla is very well described...I can't wait for her to wake up
lala43 chapter 7 . 8/7/2011
"I'm not lying. I'm protecting her." M's mother probably said the same thing to herself at the time he was sent away. You filled out Fanny very nicely and she is now behaving like the good mother she is.

I like how M is reacting to all this as a child, which he is. Both of them are. He has moments of the man he is about to become, but I like how you are mindful of his emotional maturity.

Thank you.
androgenius chapter 7 . 8/7/2011
Oh man... I'm getting so impatient for her to wake up! 3
5SecsOfLARRYcat chapter 7 . 8/7/2011
Amazing chapter! I love it! Please update soon! :D
jamie chapter 6 . 8/6/2011
I can't wait to read the next chapter! such a heart wrenching story... but I'm looking forward to reading more melchior and wendla :)
northstar61 chapter 6 . 8/2/2011
I'm actually thankful that Melchior's mother appeared when she did. He was woefully out of his depth in terms of taking care of Wendla, and she needs more than his love and protection right now. I like the idea of Fanny helping them, as it strikes me as the beginning of some form of redemption for her - a way of making up for the part she, however unwittingly, played in what befell her son's girlfriend. I also like the strength you gave her, both in her willingness to confront the unknown in the hayloft, and in her determination to bring Melchior home long before the year or two her husband had in mind. Speaking of which, I can't begin to imagine a father sending his own child away for such a long time simply because he got a girl pregnant. Yes, I know, things were different back then, but it just seems so incredibly heartless and uncaring.

"he wore anxiety like a straightjacket tight around his ribs" What a wonderfully descriptive passage. It's evident that Melchior had no idea what he was getting himself into when he decided to rescue Wendla - not that it would have changed his mind if he had, but he might have been better prepared.

"And he couldn't lose her. That was first and foremost. She was his future, and he needed her to be okay. Nothing would ever be as important as that." This expresses the depth of his love for her so well. No matter how his parents, or her mother, might view them and their actions, he and Wendla share an unwavering connection and an abiding love. They may be young, but their feelings are strong and real.

Melchior's anger and mistrust of his mother rang completely true, and his protective instincts made me love him all the more. Still, I am glad that Frau Gabor ultimately ignored his warnings and examined Wendla herself, as it was the only way she'd be able to determine what needed to be done for the poor, sick girl. And I'm relieved that Fanny was reluctant to call the doctor. It showed that she has good instincts about people, which will hopefully aid in keeping Wendla safe.

Wendla's terrified reaction at having her legs parted broke my heart. I still can't begin to imagine what it will take for her to heal from the emotional trauma she's been subjected to.

I appreciated the understated way you had Melchior find out about Wendla's pregnancy. His mother was so matter of fact about what was happening, and it taking him a moment to realize the full import of what she'd said was understandable. My heart went out to him in his pain at the loss that he could barely begin to comprehend.

The knowledge of his mother's deceit will no doubt weigh heavily on him as things move forward, and will shake their relationship, already on such precarious footing.

"How could you think a life spent with her was wasted?" Such an eloquent defense of their love, and beautifully worded.

Looking forward to more. :)
AlexisLovesGlee chapter 6 . 8/2/2011
You truly are a gifted writer, you know that?

I liked Frau Gabor's willingness to help her son. Even though the whole situation is partially her fault (I'm with Melchior on that one), she started to redeem herself when she helped him and Wendla.

And poor Wendla. My heart breaks for her even more with every chapter. I knew she was going to miscarry, there's no way she could stay with child after all that abuse, but I did hope that maybe she wouldn't, that there'd be some sort of miracle.

My favorite part of the chapter, maybe even the whole story, was this:

" "Look at her," he said again. His anger was spent for now—drowned in sorrow and exhaustion. "She's perfect—so passionate and pure." Another tear dropped. "How could you think a life spent with her was wasted? How could anybody think that?" "

I mean, wow. Talk about emotion and beauty and sadness and so much passion, all summed up into 40 words. That little part is one of the most beautiful things I've ever read, and it had me in tears.
lili chapter 6 . 8/2/2011
I'm really loving you're story! It's very well written and it takes courage, can't wait for the next chapter :)
201 | « Prev Page 1 .. 8 9 10 11 12 13 .. Last Next »